Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerMac 5300 RAM & Clock Question

PowerMac 5300 RAM & Clock Question
jaredbkt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2002, 06:49 PM

I recently acquired a PowerMac 5300 computer. It is in perfect running condition and works very well. However, when the computer is shut off or restarted, the clock always forgets its settings and a warning pops up informing me that my clock is not set properly. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this a battery issue?

Also, Does anyone know where I could find directions on how to install more RAM in this machine?

Thanks for any help.

Jared

Cipher13
Jun 1, 2002, 09:21 AM

Hrm... 5300? I didn't know there was such a thing... is it a UK only model, or something?

I'm assuming it's the standard 5xxx form factor when I explain this.

The time issue is probably a battery issue; the battery is a large black thing on the motherboard, probably on the upper-right corner, if you were looking at the "front" of the motherboard (if the front were the same end that was the front of the computer).

To install more RAM, you need to take three screws out of the back panel, unclip it from the bottom, and pull back.

Pull the handle down, and pull the motherboard out of the machine. From your current viewpoint, the RAM slots are off to your right - you can't miss them.

I can post pics relevant to a 5500 if you want me to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules