Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMacs Seen on TV/Movies

iMacs Seen on TV/Movies
quiklee
Senior User
Feb 1, 2007, 07:25 PM

Just thought this would be a fun thread in the iMac Forum . . . . here's my contribution

Hereos
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 08:00 PM

We need a caMi Nation forum.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 10:33 AM

They are in the UK Ikea catalouge quite a few times...

I also saw them NCIS and on the BBC news when they were comparing Apple with M$ new thing

bhamblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 11:10 AM

Unfortunately, most of the time when you see an iMac (or any Mac for that matter) "in action" on a TV show or movie, the user is never running OS X. Instead, it's an OS with a quasi-futuristic look and impossible (for now) functionality, usually resembling something more out of Star Trek than Starbucks. I mean, I'm sure that every computer can scan the country's entire fingerprint database in 2.2 seconds, right?

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:35 PM

OK so I had a think and I also remember them in Spooks and they run OSX and I could see that as they had the dock and the white bar at the top. They where also in Gina's Laughing Gear(CBBC Show I saw my sister watching) and it was running iTunes over OSX and also the OSX Default screensaver was going.

twdawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 01:45 PM

I have also seen them in 24
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 02:12 PM

There was a macbook pro or powerbook in The Devil Wears Prada and also in the trailer for Bringing down the house.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 03:19 PM

i agree . . caMi Nation needs a forum, but we tried it before and it's hard to compete against a great forum like macnn's . . . . one day mitch . . one day . . . i think we just need to find more writers now . . .

anyways . . .just thought of another one . . . smallville season 1 . . . right? i heard the show's pretty good now, but they switched to alienware in season 3 i think . . .

fyi - 24 just has Mac Monitors . . i haven't actually seen a iMac yet there . . .

but who cares . . . all macs on tv are welcomed . . . think about how much free commercial time they get!

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ashleyman View Post
There was a macbook pro or powerbook in The Devil Wears Prada and also in the trailer for Bringing down the house.
There is a lot more then that in Devil Wears Prada! There is a seen where Andi is talking to the designer guy in a photo room (he is looking at photos) and there are 2 iMacs there. Just look in every seen, you will see a lot of them there!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 06:05 PM

yeh in Devil wears prada they use cinema displays in her office. Powerbook macbook pro in her office and an imac in the guys design studio!

the macbook in white is used in ugly betty but has a round silver sticker on the apple sign! They also use yucky windows!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 09:21 PM

I just remembered this:
The TV show The Pretender. It went off the air in like 2000. They had a ton of Macs and a few Bondi iMacs.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 10:20 PM

The Inside Man. PowerMac G5 + 30" ACD + iSight + Altec lansing FX6021 Speakers.
Linkinus is king.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2007, 02:04 AM

i saw a movie with hilary duff using a clamshell a month before i bought mine. maybe subconsciously this 56 year old heterosexual man wants to be hilary duff. can't imagine why though.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2007, 04:55 AM

Diet coke advert with the lift repair man uses imacs!

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
i agree . . caMi Nation needs a forum, but we tried it before and it's hard to compete against a great forum like macnn's . . . . one day mitch . . one day . . . i think we just need to find more writers now . . .
I know the folks at 123Mac* do a great job with model-specific Mac enthusiast sites (both 123Macmini.com and 123Macbook.com are quite popular). I frequent those sites as well as MacNN on a regular basis. (sorry for the OT commentary).

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2007, 10:11 AM

I saw a G4 in the traveling pants movie (we were watching it at school on the last days of school)
Signature depreciated.

Kevin Dunahee
Feb 9, 2007, 01:04 PM

Smallville...all the time. Chloe has a few. Clark has a cinema display with something hooked up. The Green Arrow has a Macbook pro or powerbook.

Superman uses a mac...

Xarthan
Feb 9, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunahee View Post
Superman uses a mac...
must run on kyrptonyte!
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2007, 02:39 PM

Home and away in the hospital use macs!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 03:50 PM

I think Office Space is by far my favorite quasi-OS yet. - The interface is all OS 8/9 (I really can't tell which), but the "busy" cursor is a Win95 hourglass, and the whole GUI shuts off to a DOS command prompt.

FWIW, I think that one reason why Macs are used so much in entertainment is because they're so distinctive. I have noticed more and more Dells in tv shows, though - the Dell LCDs are distinctive in their own right. Even if the computer isn't running a real OS, it's a lot easier to identify an iBook from 1999 than a Compaq from 1999.

My favorite TV show, Gilmore Girls, whores out the Macs. In the first five seasons, they use a clamshell iBook (which mysteriously switches between Blueberry and Indigo depending on the episode), 14" and 12" white iBooks, a PowerBook G3, an iMac G4, a PowerMac G4 Cube, a Titanium PowerBook G4, and I think a 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4 and maybe an iMac G5. Funny how a single mother who is supposedly chronically broke can afford expensive top-of-the-line computers... In the last few seasons, though, I've identified laptops from IBM, HP, and I think Acer, and the desktops are all IBM or Dell minitowers.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 07:12 AM

I saw a G3 earlier. it was on a show about training animals.

Off topic: it was about a school that was wired with ethernet by a RAT. the owner tied a string to the rat and then tied the string to an ethernet cable and then put the rat in various small places and taped on the wall and the rat followed the tapping and got a reward at the end. quite cool.
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2007, 12:46 PM

Veronica Mars uses Macs, and actually uses OS X -- OmniOutliner is featured in a few episodes.
we don't have time to stop for gas

cjmal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 01:33 PM

I've seen B.J. Novak's character 'Ryan' using a Macbook on 'The Office', and it was running OS X.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 10:33 PM

On one episode of "House Hunters" the lady searching for houses has a G4 Cube with a 15" Studio Display. After she finds her new house it shows a close up of her pushing the power button on the cube.

vitalprogeny
Feb 14, 2007, 01:53 AM

macs are everywhere... but most of the time they have a silver sticker covering the apple logo... yet other times they dont... does apple endorse the ones that show the logo (or give permission?) and the others are just trying to be cool?
20" iMac / 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB Ram / 250GB HDD

TehBenneh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 05:01 AM

i think this is actually quite an interesting topic... I see macs more and more in TV and Cinema... there's definitely a lot more on british tv than there used to be [specifically the BBC for some reason?].

Even my girlfriend is subconsciously counting macs she sees, ever since I bought my macbook and she fell in love with it, she was introduced to the stylings of the products and immediately recognises them, even though she's spent less than 5 minutes of her life actually using one! [she's a student so i'm gonna get her a pre-owned ibook g4 or PB 12"... i'd get her a MB but my wallett won't stretch quite that far lol]

Interesting that even a non-user can instantly recognise and "know" the product... it's not even like the mac line is advertised on british TV, there's very little media coverage apart from itunes adverts and the appearances of macs in film and tv.

Wonder if anyone could do some digging and find out about apple's product placement policies... since i've noticed the covered-over logo before in several programmes too! wonder what apple made of that?

Carpediem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 04:07 PM

Ever notice that on 24 the good guys use macs and the terrorists use PCs? Just an observation.

yessongs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 12:47 AM

Apple donates a lot of Macs to movies. Also in The Devil Wears Prada, there was a quick shot where some girl was putting on her lipstick using a iMac and the iSight camera.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2007, 12:53 AM

extreme makeover: home edition--most of the time the family has a powerbook or macbook pro for the demolition segment.
crossing jordan--jordan has one, runs iTunes
as mentioned above (i think) NCIS--abby has one (i think) that is running either os x or at least something with the dock
legally blonde--gotta love the clamshell iBook in the law school with the suits & PCs
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 03:09 PM

In Joey they have an Apple Cinema Disply in one of the audition rooms and micheal has a mbp with a sticker over the apple logo!

lostjamie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 04:09 PM

I saw a iMac (with iSight i think) so a G5 or Intel in 'The Number 23' with Jim Carrey.
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2007, 01:36 AM

wow . this thread has really taken a life of it's own . . .

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 02:14 AM

Charmed Featured macs for a while. In fact, they used OS X, but with the colors inverted, which just made everything look weird.
Linkinus is king.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 04:24 AM

There were some Macs in Hulk…

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 06:48 AM

The various incarnations of CSI use Macs quite a bit.
Sometimes it 's obvioulsy Mac, sometimes it looks like KDE, GNOME or something entirely made up. I've even seen what appeared to be the the fvwm window manager.
When it is actually OS X on screen, I've seen it "normal" and with the gamma inverted:

TehBenneh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 05:15 AM

FVWM for teh win!

i'm trying to think of good old english soap operas in which I've seen macs... could swear i saw one in eastenders once...

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 01:57 AM

Alias

Flagheimer
Mar 12, 2007, 06:14 PM

A recent episode of "30 Rock" had Tina Fey in a board room meeting using what looked to be a MacBook Pro, although the Apple icon was covered with a circular silver sticker.

Also, someone mentioned "Smallville" earlier, and I know they had Macs in the first season (maybe the second too), but then I saw that the started using Alienware computers. Not sure if they switched back.

schaefdawg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 11:01 PM

Has anyone ever watched the Al Gore documentary "An Inconvient Truth." It's all aobut greenhouse gases and stuff like that. He uses a Mac Book at every one of his speeches. I think he's using keynote too.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by schaefdawg View Post
Has anyone ever watched the Al Gore documentary "An Inconvient Truth." It's all aobut greenhouse gases and stuff like that. He uses a Mac Book at every one of his speeches. I think he's using keynote too.
Being that hes on Apple's board of directors, yeah...you can be pretty certain he will use a mac.

bensone1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 AM

the oc used a bunch of macs from the imac g4 and ibook to different sized intel imacs and macbooks, i also recall seeing some on how to lose a guy in 10 days.... yeah i watched it

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 08:27 AM

Powerbook in Neighbours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Subaru_Nation555
Mar 13, 2007, 10:33 PM

In the episdoe of 24 where David Palmer gets shot, Jack and Wayne are looking at a Word document on an iMac.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 10:56 PM

not sure if anyone mentioned Extreme Homemakeover Home Edition (mac book pro).

FalsEye05
Mar 17, 2007, 04:02 AM

G4 IMacs on the Drew Carey Show. An office full of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules