Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver Overheating?

Quicksilver Overheating?
Subaru_Nation555
Mar 27, 2007, 04:51 PM

I’m becoming more and more concerned with the temperature levels in my Quicksilver. Applications have been crashing, there have been a few kernel panics and some things are just acting quirky. With the upgraded processors and the two hard drives things get really hot.

I am going to borrow a thermometer tonight and try to get some readings (I downloaded Temperature Monitor but it didn’t detect any sensors in the computer, guess it’s too old for that.)

This is what I am thinking to help the problems some:

-New, faster, larger HD to replace the two current ones (I guess I need software to get the computer to recognize more than 128GBs)

-Three new 512MB memory modules

-Maybe a new video card (the current one cannot be moved because it runs power and USB capabilities to the ASD. A new one in a lower PCI slot away from the RAM and CPU might distribute heat more evenly.

-Maybe a new CPU fan that is quieter and pushes more air out?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I love the computer and I would like for it to run cooler to promote reliability and longevity. Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 04:54 PM

First try a new CPU fan. I got a Antec on for my DA. It has 3 speeds and is quiet. A new video card will just heat things up.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 07:04 PM

If you don't mind modding the case, the best thing you can do is cut a "blowhole" in the top. That will definitely drop temps.

For example: Quicksilver G4 Blow hole
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Subaru_Nation555 View Post
-Maybe a new video card (the current one cannot be moved because it runs power and USB capabilities to the ASD. A new one in a lower PCI slot away from the RAM and CPU might distribute heat more evenly.
I don't understand your reasoning here. Another video card would only cause more heat. It sounds like you're using an ADC monitor (is ASD supposed to mean "apple cinema display"?). If you got another video card and you are indeed using an ADC monitor, you couldn't hook up your current monitor to it. Maybe I'm missing something.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

Subaru_Nation555  (op)
Apr 1, 2007, 10:41 PM

I have an older Studio Display that gets its power and USB from the graphics card, not seperate cables like the newer Cinema Displays. That forces the graphics card to be closest to the RAM and CPU since it fits in a special slot. Sorry if I explained that poorly.

Here is picture of the slot. I guess all a new video card would do was maybe disperse heat more evenly in the case?

2.2GHz MacBook Pro

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2007, 11:35 PM

Any secondary video card you put in there would be useless if you connect your monitor via the ADC port.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 04:20 AM

1. Buy a can of compressed air and blow out the dust of the computer especially the powersupply and the heatsinks.
2. Buy a PCI slot fan to blow out more air.
3. Big HDs. Early QS (733, 867, Dual 800) are ATA 66 no support above 128GB. The 2002 QS (800, 933 dual 1GHZ) have large disk support. Using bigger HDs requre a IDE card either PATA or SATA,
4. ADC, a ADC display especially a CRT uses some power 113 W and TFT ADC 40W, when drawn form the case it adds some to the heat to the case as the PCU does not have 100% efficency.

5. What upgraded processor? Do the heatsink get really hot? Try removing the loudspeaker, that little hole will add to the vents

Forum Links
Forum Rules