Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PowerBook G4-Strange Startup Procedure

12" PowerBook G4-Strange Startup Procedure
Subaru_Nation555
Jun 27, 2007, 08:37 PM

Just got my PowerBook back from Apple and a couple of days later it started up strangely. Here is what happens when I try to power it up:

1) fan comes on full speed for two of three seconds w/ high-pitched chime
2) LED on front latch flickers several times
3) computer chimes
4) two or three second pause
5) HD spins down and computer is off

If I were to try it again it might start up normally. It does the above about 25% of the time. I tried resetting the PRAM and the PMU but nothing seemed to change.

A couple of things worth mentioning:

1) Apple replaced the following a couple of days ago: DC in-board, superdrive, fan, keyboard, trackpad and some cables
2) The light around the charger stopped working, I unplugged the charger and noticed that the main unit was very hot (too hot to hold for more than a couple of seconds-also smelled a little like burning.)
3) I am using a different charger now

Any ideas? I have an appointment with the Genus Bar tomorrow but I wanted some other input first. Thanks.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

ibook_steve
Jun 27, 2007, 08:50 PM

How many times does the LED flash before it starts the fast flickering? If it's 2 or 3 (I don't remember which), which I bet it is, that indicates a RAM problem. Try reseating your RAM in the slot by opening the door with the tiny 4 screws on the bottom. See if that fixes the problem.

Steve

Subaru_Nation555  (op)
Jun 27, 2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the idea Steve. All the LED does is flicker, I tried counting, looks like six or seven but it goes pretty fast. I took out the chip (512MB genuine Apple memory) and made sure it was snug. Started up the computer and it did the same thing. I took out the 512MB chip, leaving the built-in 256 and it still did it. I am running MemTest on it now.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

ibook_steve
Jun 28, 2007, 01:31 PM

Well, that's not encouraging. There could be something wrong with the onboard RAM, requiring a logic board replacement. If you can run the hardware test, it will be interesting to see the results.

Steve

Subaru_Nation555  (op)
Jun 28, 2007, 05:44 PM

I ran MemTest and all was well. The woman at the Genus bar thought it might also be the onboard 256MB RAM so it's being sent off. Running the hardware test never even occurred to me. I'll have to wait and see what Apple says. I appreciate the comments, thanks.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules