Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should I sell my G5?

View Poll Results: What should I do with my computer set up?
Poll Options:
Keep the PowerMac. 6 votes (21.43%)
Sell the PowerMac and replace it with a Mac Mini. 1 votes (3.57%)
Sell the PowerMac and Dell monitor and replace it with a 24" iMac. 19 votes (67.86%)
Other (explain below). 2 votes (7.14%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Should I sell my G5?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:35 PM

So I've been doing some looking around, and for whatever reason PowerMac G5s (like mine) are still selling for up to $1500 on Craigslist and eBay. So I was thinking, if I sold my G5, I would have enough money to buy a new C2D Mac Mini and get some external enclosures for hard drives (I currently have two internal drives, and two external ones in an eSATA enclosure that obviously wouldn't work with a Mini). I'd really derive only on advantage from this: the ability to play HD H.264 video well. Currently my PowerMac tends to choke a little bit on even 720p H.264, and 1080p is basically completely unwatchable. My CD MacBook can play the 720p just fine, but 1080p is still a little choppy. A C2D computer should be able to play even the 1080p just fine.

Another option would be to sell not just my PowerMac, but also my 24" Dell LCD and get a 24" iMac which would work just as well.

However, after Christmas I'm planning on putting together a MythTV-based home theater system. The MythTV box would also be C2D powered and so would be able to play HD content just fine. So I suppose the question is whether it's worthwhile to upgrade my system (at essentially no cost, but still a bunch of hassle) so I can watch my HD content for the next two months, or just wait two months and keep the system that's served me well for 3+ years and works fine for every purpose other than the HD video.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 03:02 PM

Oh yeah, another advantage of replacing the G5 with a new computer is that then it would have an 802.11n capable card. I already have plans to upgrade the card in my MacBook and then upgrade my network, but the lack of compatibility with my G5 made it seem kinda pointless.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 03:26 PM

if you get the mini now, would it become the MythTV box?

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
if you get the mini now, would it become the MythTV box?
No, because the MythTV box will live in the living room with the HT setup, and I'll still need a computer in the office to work on. I do have an old gaming PC that's currently unused that I could set up as a MythTV backend and use that for work as well, but I'd much rather stick with OS X, and I don't really want to use my MacBook as my main work computer (I find it very convenient having a separate desktop and laptop).

Cold Warrior
Oct 20, 2007, 03:49 PM

sell the PM and your MB and get a C2D MB and use your external monitor with it in close-lid mode.

Otherwise I agree with option 3 - sell the PM & Dell monitor to get a new iMac.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
sell the PM and your MB and get a C2D MB and use your external monitor with it in close-lid mode.

Otherwise I agree with option 3 - sell the PM & Dell monitor to get a new iMac.
I'd really rather stick with the G5 and CD MacBook than have just a C2D MacBook, I just get too much utility out of having them both. So it looks like option 3 is the best if I can pull it off. I've listed it on Criagslist and it is, admittedly, a bit of a high price. But then again my G5 has two 160 GB drives in it, 2.5 GB RAM, and an eSATA card (and I'll happily throw in a two-drive eSATA enclosure since I'll need to replace it with a FW one anyway). So maybe this will work out after all. And if it doesn't I can still fall back on that Mini option, I guess.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 02:07 PM

Amazingly enough, my G5 and monitor have sold. For enough to buy a 24" iMac no less. If I get the 2.4 GHz model all I'll have to pay for is AppleCare and tax, which is a pretty sweet deal.

Though I also checked the refurb store, and I could get a refurbished white 24" iMac C2D 2.16 GHz for $300 less. I'd get a slower processor, a less capable video card, and a smaller hard drive. I think it's probably worth the extra $300 for all those upgrades, especially since there will still be only $200 out of my own pocket. But I'm still weighing the options. One question I'm not sure of is whether or not the refurb iMac will come with the new Apple keyboards or the old one. And will it come with a Leopard drop-in as I assume the new one will if I buy after the release (which I will, obviously)?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 03:35 PM

Get an iMac, it's a reasonable machine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 05:59 PM

I thought about putting it in here first, but since I was talking about selling a PowerMac, rather than anything actually specific to a PowerMac I figured the lounge was a good place. Also, I was talking about iMacs and Mac Minis as well...

Anyway, the guy just left with my G5 and my monitor. He paid me in cash. It's fricking awesome. I love having a wad of 100s. I toyed with the idea of walking into the Apple store and buying an iMac with cash, because how sweet would that be,but I just got a $100 gift certificate to the online Apple Store for business, so I'm going to buy it through there instead. That pays for the tax, so I only have to pay for Apple Care out of my own pocket now.

I also realized that I'm now 100% Intel. No more PPC for me. (Although Jessi still has an old 12" iBook G4...)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 08:23 PM

I love my G5, I have no plans to replace it soon, especially with a Mac mini. If I was to buy a mini, it'd be to replace my Power Mac G4.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 08:15 AM

Well, my G5 is gone. The guy came to take it last night. I searched through my old email and found the order confirmation for it: I had it for four years and four days.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Well, my G5 is gone. The guy came to take it last night. I searched through my old email and found the order confirmation for it: I had it for four years and four days.
IMO your timing is spectacular. Between now and Mac Expo in January all kinds of new Macs are likely and existing box prices will fall. You may find that a used or refurb of one of today's Mac Pros (far stronger and longer life cycle than iMacs or Minis) presents as a good upgrade choice, or that some new box meets your needs perfectly. Be patient...

-Allen Wicks

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 06:49 PM

I think you should sell the PowerMac and 24" Dell monitor and get a 24" iMac for its replacement.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I had no idea mac laptops could be used in "closed lid" mode. What instructions does that take?

Any, it would be a great solution for the OP... power, hi-res vid capability AND mobility. Damn great idea Cold Warrior. I may do that myself with a MacBook Pro while I am waiting for the new MP tower.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
I had no idea mac laptops could be used in "closed lid" mode. What instructions does that take?

Any, it would be a great solution for the OP... power, hi-res vid capability AND mobility. Damn great idea Cold Warrior. I may do that myself with a MacBook Pro while I am waiting for the new MP tower.
All you gotta do is connect a monitor keyboard and mouse and it'll work fine. Attaching a keyboard and mouse to a closed Mac laptop will wake it up from sleep (you can, of course, put it back to sleep though the menu as well), so if you've got a monitor attached you just hook up the keyboard and go.

Subaru_Nation555
Oct 26, 2007, 09:44 AM

If you use it with the top closed make sure the computer is plugged in otherwise it will not wake from sleep. At least this is how the last generation PowerBooks were.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 03:13 PM

I would personally try and get a Mac Pro. You'll double the number of cpu cores from 2 to 4 and it likely will be quite a few years before the machine isn't able to run cutting edge software.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by RealMac View Post
I would personally try and get a Mac Pro. You'll double the number of cpu cores from 2 to 4 and it likely will be quite a few years before the machine isn't able to run cutting edge software.
I'd love to get a Mac Pro, but it's really just not in the realm of financial possibility right now. The new iMac will meet my needs better than the PowerMac G5 did, so for now going with the iMac seems like the best choice.

passmaster16
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 09:06 PM

I'd love to get a Mac Pro, but it's really just not in the realm of financial possibility right now. The new iMac will meet my needs better than the PowerMac G5 did, so for now going with the iMac seems like the best choice.
I'd go with the 24" iMac. It will still blow your G5 away. I think you made the right decision. A few months ago I was deciding whether or not to get rid of my dual 1.8. I figured I'd cash out while I could. Once the newer machines come out, your G5 would have just lost more value. While I liked my G5, I'm happy with the Mac Pro that replaced it. Intel is the future for Apple. Might as well move over to it now.

nikstar101
Oct 30, 2007, 12:42 PM

I am surprised that your PowerMac G5 couldn't manage HD video. My Dual 2.0Ghz G5 can managed HD video without problems. Oh well i guess it doesn't matter now.

At the moment i think the iMac is the best deal around at the moment, they are great machines (although they seem to have a few graphics card / OS issues at them moment).

Nick

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I am surprised that your PowerMac G5 couldn't manage HD video. My Dual 2.0Ghz G5 can managed HD video without problems. Oh well i guess it doesn't matter now.
Using what codec? HD worked fine if it was DivX or something, but most HD content comes in H.264 with AC3 audio, and the G5 just couldn't handle it.

nikstar101
Oct 30, 2007, 05:08 PM

Using what codec? HD worked fine if it was DivX or something, but most HD content comes in H.264 with AC3 audio, and the G5 just couldn't handle it.
I just watched a 1280x720 res movie (which i guess is 720p) and it never dropped below 30fps which was the encoded rate. I also had Safari, Mail and itunes open at the same time so it wasn't running flat out solely on the movie.

And just watched a 1080p trailer and that was encoded at 24fps and that ran fine as well (again with Safari open). I do have ATI X800XT graphics card but i think this is more CPU intensive than on your GPU. Both were using a H264 video and ACC audio.

Nick

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I just watched a 1280x720 res movie (which i guess is 720p) and it never dropped below 30fps which was the encoded rate. I also had Safari, Mail and itunes open at the same time so it wasn't running flat out solely on the movie.

And just watched a 1080p trailer and that was encoded at 24fps and that ran fine as well (again with Safari open). I do have ATI X800XT graphics card but i think this is more CPU intensive than on your GPU. Both were using a H264 video and ACC audio.

Nick
AAC audio or AC3? The AC3 makes a huge difference in my experience, and that's what most of my HD content uses.

nikstar101
Oct 31, 2007, 04:35 PM

They were using AAC audio. I don't have anything to hand that is HD plus AC3. Although in both tests Safari was running as well and the CPUs weren't 100% so i cannot see AC3 killing it (but i guess it might be the straw that breaks the camels back or so they say)

Forum Links
Forum Rules