Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > American Airlines given approval for in-cockpit iPad use

American Airlines given approval for in-cockpit iPad use
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 10, 2012, 07:59 PM

The Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) has given approval for American Airlines to replace its flight manuals with iPad versions. The airline is the first commercial carrier to replace the satchels with the tablet, saving $1.2 million dollars annually in aviation fuel. The iPad remains the only tablet approved for aviation use by the FAA.

American's vice president Captain John Hale said in a statement that "with this approval from the FAA, we will be able to use iPad to fully realize the benefits of our Electronic Flight Bag program, including improving the work environment for our pilots, reducing our dependency on paper products and increasing fuel efficiency on our planes." The program began quietly in 2011 when the FAA approved a trial of the tablet's use on a limited amount of flights. The entire 777 fleet will start using iPads, and s shift to the tablet for the rest of the airline is hoped to be approved by the end of the year. American Airlines wishes to cease paper revisions to manuals and navigation charts by the end of 2013.

ebeyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 03:28 AM

I realize I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm not allowed to use my iPad during takeoff and landing because the interference might cause a problem with the avionics, the navigational system or some other vital component of the plane; but pilots will use them routinely in the cockpit on every single flight. Do I get the sense that even the FAA doesn't believe what the FAA is telling us?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 11, 2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I realize I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm not allowed to use my iPad during takeoff and landing because the interference might cause a problem with the avionics, the navigational system or some other vital component of the plane; but pilots will use them routinely in the cockpit on every single flight. Do I get the sense that even the FAA doesn't believe what the FAA is telling us?
It's an outdated policy. I know the FAA is reassessing their position and may eventually allow airlines to let passengers use their cellular/data devies in the aircraft cabin.

Here's an article.

Forum Links
Forum Rules