Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!

An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters! (Page 3)
aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
That's true, Mithras.

Some people here do not agree with certain things said and it's okay to take a poke or jab at someone in the spirit of humor, but to be downright mean is just another example of what is going on in Iraq: Hating people just because certain people like to hate.

Pretty sad.

On the other hand, other people post here and have some of the most intelligent commentaries I've heard (or read) and it's interesting to share their perspectives with them.

Those are the people that I admire even if I don't agree with them.
I agree, Cody!

Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 08:35 PM

Reading this thread has been like watching a "Southpark" episode.

Except there's something missing. Can't quite put my finger...Hmmm...What is it...::tap tap tap::

Oh yeah, I got it...

OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED KENNY!!!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by constrictor:
Since you miss most every point, I'll just tell you: I, as well as many others on this board, I'm sure, find your general outlook on accents telling.

But seriously, guys, what about POLAND?
I LOVE POLANDERS! I'd also like knowing that the person was Polish when I consider his or her views.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
Reading this thread has been like watching a "Southpark" episode.

Except there's something missing. Can't quite put my finger...Hmmm...What is it...::tap tap tap::

Oh yeah, I got it...

OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED KENNY!!!
Come to think of it, you know what? I agree there is a slight similarity. lol

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by y0y0:
Fu�k, I almost pissed in my pants laughing at the original post. Whichever way you lay it out, it's pure urinated comedy Either aberdeenwriter was joking, in which case it was pretty hilarious, or he was serious, in which case it was even more hilarious.

Cody dawg: Your comment about a group of intellectual self admirers was piss poor. It only shows that you fear people with more intellect than yours. Go to classes and learn something instead of playing with the pelicans. It'd do you good.
So, who the Fu@k are you? Where the Fu@ck are you from?
(location/planet) If you know about an old timer (I assume that you and dhinkle go waaaay back, yes?) why do you have so few listed yoyo posts?

Did you change handles? Why?

BTW, I can understand why you consider this forum so lowly...your contribution deserves to go into the litter box.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2004, 09:08 PM

Well done, aberdeenwriter! Your character and behavior predictions for some of these people are right on cue.

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
I agree, Cody!

Yeah, it is a pretty good thread, isn't it?

I agree with MacNStein and aberdeenwriter.
I find it telling that even the hardcore rightwingers in the crowd are calling this thread paranoid, and that you two are going out of your way to pat each other on the back, even more than you usually do.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 09:41 PM

We're patting each other on the back?

I don't think so.

I don't pat people on the back, but I do stick up for the underdog.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 09:52 PM

We're patting each other on the back?

I don't think so.

I don't pat people on the back, but I do stick up for the underdog.

Cute pup!

But, between Cartman and Underdog, I think I prefer the comparison to Cartman because Underdog would NEVER tell someone to go Fu@k themselves as I've sometimes been known to do. (Funny, I've not once thought the 'odds' weren't in my favor...interesting, Cody.)

Thanks for the support!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 10:02 PM

Your psychological experiment worked, aberdeenwriter.

I say let's ditch this thread, shall we?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 10:16 PM

But, there are some who really don't have the US' best interests at heart. There are some people who have an agenda which reflects the geo-political pov of THEIR native land. I think it would be helpful to anyone reading their posts to have a clue to those individuals' orientation in SOME way.
There are also Americans who don't have the US' best interests at heart. I think it would be helpful to anyone reading their posts to have a clue to those individuals' orientation in SOME way. Perhaps along with nationality, we should also have political affiliation listed? I mean, you never know when a Republican might be posing as a Democrat (such as I suspect you were before you "saw the light")

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2004, 10:43 PM

Your psychological experiment worked, aberdeenwriter.

I say let's ditch this thread, shall we?

you know, when I found out you posted the Languages You Speak thread with an ulterior motive, I thought it was sneaky but I shrugged. If you want to play games along the lines of ankle_brains, whatever. But with that statement above, you prove either a) you and aberdeen are one and the same; b) you and aberdeen share a love nest somewhere.

What have you to gain from your smug superiority complex?

If anybody really wants to know where people are from, they might try, oh, sticking around here for a couple years, gleaning little bits of information from each thread, subtle variations in character and personality. If you're paranoid about people swapping identities, well, you can always spot the "tells" when someone switches to a new user name.

If you're very lucky, after 4 years you will get to meet a bunch of MacNNers for drinks and pie.

Damned fine pie, too.

swrate
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 10:50 PM

Far Fetched,
should we present you with passports?
Passports please.
yUS?
I remember I posted here the "Finger Print Files" lyrics from Jagger/Richards a while ago.
What if the passport is not the same as the place we live in?
What if we are working abroad a few years? or studying abroad? What if we have many two, or three, or four "places we are from"?
Big deal, and the thread WAS extremely funny. Joyous within gravity.
light and heavy
Hilarious
verbs!
And how many people travel all the time and use computers from different places?
You could start a data sheet,
swzen wouldn't you be better off taking a break .... i think i would.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:26 PM

you know, when I found out you posted the Languages You Speak thread with an ulterior motive, I thought it was sneaky but I shrugged.
Sneaky? That makes me laugh! I wanted to know where people were from so I asked what languages people spoke. What's the big secret? It makes sense, right? People speak languages and maybe, JUST MAYBE, one (ONE) of those languages MIGHT be from the country they're from.

As far as aberdeenwriter and I sharing a "love nest," think what you want. I'm flattered that you give it that much thought, to be honest. Because I admire someone you jump on the bandwagon with others and want to throw assumptions and labels at us because it makes you feel better or something.

If anybody really wants to know where people are from, they might try, oh, sticking around here for a couple years...
Uh, a couple of YEARS?

Sorry, but I have another life. I'm not going to spend my time analyzing a bunch of pieces of information from anonymous posters on an anonymous forum where people have an apparent predilection towards keeping their nationality a secret.

I come here for amusement and sometimes people surprise me with their intelligence. People like MacNStein and ebuddy and aberdeenwriter and a few others.

But, I don't come here because I want to eat pie with people in a couple of years, sorry. (No offense.)

I do like your posts most of the time. I thought the signature clues idea was a good suggestion, BTW.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 11:32 PM

Sounds to me like Cody Dawg and aberdeenwriter haven't been completely upfront about their intentions ... perhaps we should have all of our ulterior motives listed in our profiles

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 11:39 PM

Yet, as you all well know, a person's national origin or religion or current citizenship is very important in weighing the merits and value of that person's post. Especially someone who posts the same consistent message; persistently and predictably.
I disagree. A person's national origin, religion or current citizenship does not weigh in on the merits and value of that person's post. I do not judge a person's posts based upon those criteria. I judge a person's posts based upon that person's posts, past and present.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
There are also Americans who don't have the US' best interests at heart. I think it would be helpful to anyone reading their posts to have a clue to those individuals' orientation in SOME way. Perhaps along with nationality, we should also have political affiliation listed? I mean, you never know when a Republican might be posing as a Democrat (such as I suspect you were before you "saw the light")
I LIKE that new sig! The colors, the placement...it works for me!

What you say is true and that is something I expected to come up earlier. But, I'm glad you have addressed the issue seriously now.

When I read Robert Kagan's quote from, "Of Paradise and Power" calling the difference in agendas and points of view between America and most of Europe as tantamount to saying, "Americans are from Mars and Europeans are from Venus," I wondered how and why that MIGHT be.

Once I read some more, I thought about some of the attitudes expressed here at MacNN and it intrigued me.

I knew the cries would go up but hoped once past the outrage and uproar, a serious discussion could take place.

Thanks wiskedjak.

Should you be allowed to lobby for a Mayoral candidate running in a neighboring town?

Yes, you might know a great deal about that candidate.

Yes, your interest in that candidate is due to his plans to force big steel mill companies in his jurisdiction to install scrubbers on their smokestacks which pollute your own city next door.

Yes, this candidate will help your family avoid health problems.

You have a real interest in his success!

But, should you (someone not in his city) be able to debate the merits of his candidacy with citizens from the candidate's town without telling those folks where you live?

What if most of the citizens work at the steel mill and if your candidate wins and forces the steel mill to install scrubbers, it will mean some of the employees will be laid off and suffer a financial loss?

What if you gather a crowd of citizens and campaign for the candidate but none of the opponent's supporters are around to counter your valid points?

Don't they have a right to know you aren't a citizen of their town? Don't they have a right to know you can't vote in their election and that you have completely different concerns than they? Your concerns (agenda) is actually in direct opposition to that of many of the voters.'

I think they have a right to know. I think it's kinda dishonest to NOT disclose that information.

I believe here at MacNN, ALL voices should be heard. But, this election could be very close. The casual observer who only reads a few posts might be influenced by an argument or a person's debating style (or what have you) of someone who isn't even a potential voter or citizen.

Like I said, everyone should have the freedom to say what they wish. However, what if the preponderance of views (let's say) FOR BUSH were being expressed by non-citizens, but the casual oberserver didn't know this?

GENERALLY SPEAKING...people make decisions emotionally and justify their decisions, with logic.

Example: Every time you hear or see someone imply, "Well EVERYONE is for that idea..." or, "NOBODY agrees with that..."
those are subtle hints which (consciously or not) are attempts to appeal to people's desire to go with the crowd...a desire to be popular...to avoid doing the 'wrong' thing...to avoid any possible ostracism.

All emotion based decisions.

But if you ask them why they've decided as they did, they'll likely point out a logical reason.

The ratio of Bushies to Kerries has shifted these past weeks (a circumstance that's neither here nor there) and while I agree this is not the GRAND STAGE where the issue of the 2004 United States Presidential Election will be decided, I feel strongly that any swing voter casually reading these posts could possibly be influenced by the arguments of someone here who isn't even a citizen.

Or, this swing voter might be persuaded by the sheer number of posters who feel the same way and decide to go with the crowd.

And though it may be unlikely that someone would read the posts here as a way to decide how to vote, I'll admit I DO post in order to influence opinion. I often DO research my posts (though some of the time one might never see evidence of this! lol).
I HAVE learned important truths from these pages; truths so important that I even changed MY allegiance from Kerry to Bush!

I feel that there is no harm in requiring posters to list their locations. At LEAST that person who is still trying to decide will have SOME way of qualifying the posts they read here.

And let's face it, there are probably some USA haters among us and in my book to allow a USA HATER to influence even ONE VOTE (without doing SOMETHING to at least try to mitigate that influence), is ONE VOTE TOO DAMN MANY!

Comments?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2004, 12:15 AM

I HAVE learned important truths from these pages; truths so important that I even changed MY allegiance from Kerry to Bush!

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing in any of your posts that indicates you were ever legitimately for Kerry. Personally, I think you are using the old "I used to be a <FILL IN THE BLANK> but then I saw the light" tactic that I seem to recall someone else on this board using with regard to Mac vs PC months ago. Who was that...? Oh yes, someone called iWrite. But you wouldn't know them...

I feel that there is no harm in requiring posters to list their locations. At LEAST that person who is still trying to decide will have SOME way of qualifying the posts they read here.

And let's face it, there are probably some USA haters among us and in my book to allow a USA HATER to influence even ONE VOTE (without doing SOMETHING to at least try to mitigate that influence), is ONE VOTE TOO DAMN MANY!
OK, things are getting a little strange here. But by all means, keep ranting. You're just harming your own cause. Keep an eye out for those USA HATERS, m'kay?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing in any of your posts that indicates you were ever legitimately for Kerry. Personally, I think you are using the old "I used to be a <FILL IN THE BLANK> but then I saw the light" tactic that I seem to recall someone else on this board using with regard to Mac vs PC months ago. Who was that...? Oh yes, someone called iWrite. But you wouldn't know them...[/B]
Honestly. I SWEAR this is not the case.

OK, things are getting a little strange here. But by all means, keep ranting. You're just harming your own cause. Keep an eye out for those USA HATERS, m'kay?
Admit it, you LOVE me and Cody!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 12:29 AM

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing in any of your posts that indicates you were ever legitimately for Kerry. Personally, I think you are using the old "I used to be a <FILL IN THE BLANK> but then I saw the light" tactic that I seem to recall someone else on this board using with regard to Mac vs PC months ago. Who was that...? Oh yes, someone called iWrite. But you wouldn't know them... [/B]
OT

OK, now back to partisan politics...

Icruise, if you are sooooooo wrong about this, one would HAVE to doubt your judgement about JOhn KErry!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 12:29 AM

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing in any of your posts that indicates you were ever legitimately for Kerry. Personally, I think you are using the old "I used to be a <FILL IN THE BLANK> but then I saw the light" tactic ... [/B]
No way. I remember when he came on this board. He was a cut-and-paste liberal to the core. I personally recall this, because I was jumping down his throat. Check his first 15-20 posts. They were practically all taken from the pages of MoveOn.org and MichaelMoore.com.

He may not have legitimately been for Kerry (who really is?), but he was definitely anti-Bush and anti-conservative.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 12:31 AM

Should you be allowed to lobby for a Mayoral candidate running in a neighboring town?
I'm not in a neighbouring town. I'm in my home town and country of citizenship. I have no knowledge of where you are, aside from your claim of being from Aberdeen, WA. I do believe that I am discussing issues of international politics we people from around the globe of various political leanings.

But, should you (someone not in his city) be able to debate the merits of his candidacy with citizens from the candidate's town without telling those folks where you live?
But, I'm in my home town and country of citizenship. Am I not allowed to talk about foreign politics in my own home with people who may or may not be American citizens and who may or may not be who they claim?

Don't they have a right to know you aren't a citizen of their town?
I'm not in your town

Don't they have a right to know you can't vote in their election
The only people at MacNN who have a right to know my location, or more specifically, my IP address and by extension my location, are it's owners, administrators and moderators. However, since you're so big on disclosure, how do we know you're from Aberdeen, WA? Simply because it says so in your sig?

The ratio of Bushies to Kerries has shifted these past weeks (a circumstance that's neither here nor there) and while I agree this is not the GRAND STAGE where the issue of the 2004 United States Presidential Election will be decided, I feel strongly that any swing voter casually reading these posts could possibly be influenced by the arguments of someone here who isn't even a citizen.
Perhaps American citizens should be banned from reading non-American websites until after the election.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Really.

Aberdeen: "FRGGRFVO#$%QTBMQ##$!!!!!!!!"

Cody: "Let me clarify that..."
I REALLY found this post clever and funny!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
He was a cut-and-paste liberal to the core.
Cut-and-Paste being the operative words here

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 12:35 AM

No way. I remember when he came on this board. He was a cut-and-paste liberal to the core. I personally recall this, because I was jumping down his throat. Check his first 15-20 posts. They were practically all taken from the pages of MoveOn.org and MichaelMoore.com.

He may not have legitimately been for Kerry (who really is?), but he was definitely anti-Bush and anti-conservative.
Thank you!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 12:38 AM

Cut-and-Paste being the operative words here
I recognized I didn't know enough to intelligently debate the Bushies but I knew what I wanted the Bushies to know and when I found it I wanted to presnt it without my ignorance getting in the way.

I had a hard time understanding why in the world spacefreak had a problem with my cutting n pasting.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2004, 12:41 AM

Wow, I guess you're right. That's nothing like what someone would do if they wanted to pose as a liberal who saw the light and converted to Bush.

Seriously, have you guys been reading what aberdeenwriter has been posting? I can buy someone who is on the fence changing sides, but people just do not make sudden 180 degree turns like that.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 12:51 AM

I recognized I didn't know enough to intelligently debate the Bushies but I knew what I wanted the Bushies to know and when I found it I wanted to presnt it without my ignorance getting in the way.

I had a hard time understanding why in the world spacefreak had a problem with my cutting n pasting.
As a FORMER Bush supporter, I appreciate your post lerkfish.

I gain a great deal of disrespect for those who support W without even thinking about it, or knowing why.

I posted 7 possible reasons someone might support the President, but none of them are good reasons.

I believe many people simply go along because he talks tough.

If he wins, we will ALL regret it and those of you who support him without GOOD cause, do NOT say you weren't warned.

Someone should write a book, styled after JFK's, ("Why England Slept") and call it, "Why America Slept."

He's a lying, thieving, cheating manipulator. If he wins, America will only be getting what it deserves.

I'm curious; what caused you to be a former Bush supporter?

"Why America Slept"
Is this your book you keep mentioning? Are you here to acquire source material for that book? Do you need to know our locations for your book?
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Oct 5, 2004 at 12:59 AM. )

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:02 AM

I'm not in a neighbouring town. I'm in my home town and country of citizenship. I have no knowledge of where you are, aside from your claim of being from Aberdeen, WA. I do believe that I am discussing issues of international politics we people from around the globe of various political leanings.

But, I'm in my home town and country of citizenship. Am I not allowed to talk about foreign politics in my own home with people who may or may not be American citizens and who may or may not be who they claim?

The only people at MacNN who have a right to know my location, or more specifically, my IP address and by extension my location, are it's owners, administrators and moderators. However, since you're so big on disclosure, how do we know you're from Aberdeen, WA? Simply because it says so in your sig?

Perhaps American citizens should be banned from reading non-American websites until after the election.
I have NEVER EVER said ANYONE'S voice or opinion or expression should be denied. I WELCOME ALL expressions here.

Yes, this election DOES and WILL affect peoples ALL OVER THE WORLD. YOU DO have a valid interest in the election.

In fact, let me say for the record, I am impressed with the intelligence (not to mention your ability to express yourselves so well in English) and concern of those from outside the US in what's going on here. I truly feel a sense of (good) passion from many of you and, were the situation conducive, would probably enjoy your company over coffee or drinks or the like.

Of course you can discuss whatever you wish with anyone you wish, wherever you wish! See, I believe in PEACE, FREEDOMS and PROSPERITY for all!

The only flaw in my proposal is that people DO lie. SIGH!

Yes, I am a resident of Aberdeen, Washington. Believe it or not.

I just heard some loud sounds outside and I'm about 90 miles from Mt. St. Helens...could those sounds be of it blowing it's top?

Hmmm, probably just gas. Burp.

Your last comment misses my point.

If I know you are from Germany (let's say) and are against Bush I'll be able to understand your point of view MAY have come from the theory in Kagan's book and that you and I have different mindsets and agendas.

Many Germans feel Bush's use of power is outmoded and dangerous. Many of them feel diplomacy can solve all disagreements. Well, I believe otherwise and so (with knowledge of where you are from AND where you are 'coming from') I will be able to put your comments in the proper context.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:09 AM

He's a lying, thieving, cheating manipulator. If he wins, America will only be getting what it deserves.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:10 AM

aberdeenwriter
Elite Member

Posted on : 09-21-2004 03:57 PM __
------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by voodoo:
Perhaps, either way I don't mind. At least he's polite. Then he could be a sort of a typical average US swing voter - a notion I find very interesting because I don't recall to have discussed with such a being before. He was on Kerry's side when Kerry had better polls than Bush and when Kerry began losing ground he began thinking about maybe Bush wasn't that bad and then when Bush had better polls than Kerry he read one article posted by Zimphire and FLIP.

Of course it is entirely possible that one article can affect one so much but it didn't really mention the Iraq campaign which aberdeenwriter suddenly fully supports (maybe he always did??) but hey.

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
I think he was all along on the neo-con-side, but used this forum to stage a "from left to right"-flipping, in order to persuade some left-ones to do the same, all for the beloved Bush-campaign. Ah, what a blessing the election-year is.

Taliesin

Neo-con, Abram Shulsky admits, "truth is not the goal" of intelligence operations, but "victory."

Mwhaaa haaa haaaaa! <diabolical laugh>

But seriously folks...

When, in the course of political events, it becomes necessary to flip-flop, a decent respect for the opinion of MacNN-kind suggest one should declare the causes which impel them to the flip-flop.

Here's a timeline of my political thoughts and feelings since November 2000 to this year.

11/07/00 - Voted Gore. (Previous votes went to Dems, Repubs, and Perot.) Viewed results with a shrug. New President deserves our support.

9/11/01 - WAR! President deserves our support. Employed by a Clear Channel radio station.

2/23/04 - Howard Stern fined by FCC after "King Of All Media" withdrew support for Bush Administration. Smacked of censorship, right-wing manipulation of 1st Amendment and possible collusion by Clear Channel when CC removed Stern show from 6 markets. OUTRAGE at Bush Administration.

6/27/04 - "Fahrenheit 9/11." Convinced of need to remove President Bush from office.

8/16/04 - 1st MacNN post.

9/8/04 - Discovered PNAC website.

9/11/04 - Nominated for first "Golden Troll"

9/12/04 - Awarded "Golden Troll" for a different post.

9/14/04 - After reading rightweb site (critical of Bush Administration) describing the New American Century plan, I was excited by the boldness of the plan but wondered if it could work and what the dangers of such a plan would be. Still for Kerry.

9/18/04 - Started thread, (Why do THEY hate US?) to further explore radical Islamic terrorism. Personal belief was that a more enlightened foreign policy and smart, strong leadership was the key to defusing terrorism. Had to search my soul to find my one non-negotiable issue: PEACE. Saw the possibility of peace through NAC plan as well as Kerry plan. Still leaning toward Kerry.

9/19/04 - Read article posted by Zimphire; "Al Qaeda's Fantasy Ideology" by Lee Harris and was blown away! I was disabused of my previous belief about the cause and solution for Islamic terrorism. FLIP-FLOP COMPLETED! I do not support many of the President's policies and yet I believe he will best deliver peace through global dominance. Because of his strong plans to make US & the world safe for democracy and his aggressive WOT, I now support BUSH.

9/20/04 - Awarded a coveted, "SMACKDOWN!!" for posted reply to MacNN member questioning my switch to Bush.

I hope this helps explain my conversion.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:25 AM

Wow, I guess you're right. That's nothing like what someone would do if they wanted to pose as a liberal who saw the light and converted to Bush.

Seriously, have you guys been reading what aberdeenwriter has been posting? I can buy someone who is on the fence changing sides, but people just do not make sudden 180 degree turns like that.
I don't rmember exactly when, but I posted a story of a going away party for me, hosted by my friends where they decided to "walk the check" (leave the restaurant without paying).

I was against the idea, however, once I knew it was happening I had to go along with it or risk all of our being caught.

(I don't do or condone such things but my 'rowdy' friends and I were younger, dumber and under the influence.)

Anyway, after reading of Bush's neo-conservative blueprint for the "New American Century" I felt it was a BOLD plan, which, if it worked, could totally eliminate many of the world problems which the UN hasn't, can't and won't solve thru diplomacy.

What's more, it could TOTALLY eliminate the problems of al Qaeda terrorism (see Lee Harris' essay, "Al Qaeda's Fantasy Ideology.").

Nothing Kerry proposed might have the same effect and I decided to give Bush my support. The fact is, I have serious "issues" with several of his issues. However, Bush needs support for the grand plan to work and if it does work I believe everyone in the world could be better off.

There you have it.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:32 AM

I'm curious; what caused you to be a former Bush supporter?

"Why America Slept"
Is this your book you keep mentioning? Are you here to acquire source material for that book? Do you need to know our locations for your book?
WELL, HOWDY THERE NEIGHBOR!!!!!

Aberdeen Wiskedjak, eh? LOLOLOLOL Very funny!

I think there MAY be a book buried here in these posts but I'm sure someone else will get to it before I do (IF I ever do).

No, not neccessary to know locations for that reason. The reasons previously listed are the real ones.

I appreciate the joke, however!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:36 AM

If we can't ever, possibly be changed by what we read, what's the point?

Uncle Tom's Cabin turned MILLIONS against slavery, literally overnight.

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 02:42 AM

Wow, aberdeenwriter, you really are one clever little boy, aren't you! You mean you and your 'bosom' pal, Cody "let me pat you on the back" Dawg, have been playing an intensely dense game, of "I spy with my little eye, a foreigner begining with commie european/arab fanatic" with the rest of the board? Amazing! What cunning! Look, ladies and gentlemen, here we have psychology at work!

It's just a solemn pity that you two were just too effing stupid to simply use the search function, since the whole languages thing get's done at least once every six months in the lounge.

You're a sorry excuse for an adult. Someone who needs an intellectual pygmy like Cody Dawg to buffer up his flagging self esteem (I hope that's all that's flagging), and yet makes posts about how he was influenced by friends as a younger, dumber version of his self. I shudder to think just how much of a cretin you must have been back then.

Come to think of it, you two deserve one another.

You claim that Poland secretly, desperately, beseechingly wants to be a supporter of the US, and is being cowed by its relations with those dastardly liberal pinko Germans (All 90 million of whom hate the US and wish OBL the best of luck, of course) and the smelly, backstabbing cowardly French. If you had bothered to actually read a newspaper with more attention to detail than your newly found favourite far right sh�trag on this very day, you might have actually picked up the note that the Polish presence in Iraq is deeply unpopular in Poland itself (About 70% of the Polish people are against it, according to the latest polls).

But no! Our heroic, cerebrally challenged friend from WA was too busy ecstatically claiming how reading the fanatic ideology of the PNAC had shown him the light about resolving all the world's (or at least the US') problems. It is sad that our grand master of MacNN boardgames hasn't noticed that that very same PNAC is falling flat on its fat, sweaty face in Iraq.

Oh woe is the lad! Now that Poland has joined the coallition of the leaving, he will have to find a new flag bearer for his explanations.

I heard that Honduras is still there.

BTW, the way that you and CD get cosy with one another reminds me of another affable pair that used to haunt these fair waters, namely a certain iwrite (who coincidentally posted exactly the same post on some lurid subject as did CD) and her uhbby who, IIRC, threatened to trot over to Canada and beat up a certain Mastrap. But you wouldn't be stooping that low, now would you?
( Last edited by y0y0; Oct 5, 2004 at 02:47 AM. )
But what about POLAND?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Solomon Grundy:
Location is irrelevant to the discussion of ideas, also, one might be biased against somebody if they knew where they were from. If I were Syrian or Iranian how do you think some of the members would act towards me?
I was hoping someone would address your comment (question). Ok, I find it interesting, so I'll give you my thoughts.

If we are discussing NYC politics (your location) and I say I HATE Bloomberg and tell you why I hate him

He switched from being a Dem to have an easier win as a Republican. He's arrogant. His EGO! The homeless people have returned to the subways! He's from BOSTON!

But you LOVE Bloomberg and I keep tearing him apart and someone listens to my views and I convince her that she should vote against Bloomberg.

Do you think I should have told her I don't live in NYC and reside in Washington?

Do you think I should mention I work for a tobacco company and we've lost MILLIONS because of Bloomberg's public smoking ban?

The woman's opinion might OR it might not be the same with these two important facts.

But I think she should at least know.

I agree there IS a bias (among some "Americans") against foreigners. It's a terrible thing. I have experienced it myself and I understand your hesitance. The haven that MacNN is, a sightless, voiceless meeting ground of the mind, is hard to give up when you have to deal with prejudice and hatred every day.

That's a tough call to make.

On one hand, the omission of your national heritage is a minor form of dishonesty without a victim in the normal course of things, on the other hand, the moment your opinion is able to influence someone's vote, we have crossed a line, I feel.

Here's a stupid example.

You are a pretty liberal minded guy and as long as people don't mess with you, you won't bother them.

You are walking through the Village and see this girl you ask her to have a drink with you. Things go farther. Your place. She "performs" for you. Afterwards you kiss her and run your hand up her skirt and...

Uh OH!

LOLA!

At what point was it wrong for her to deceive you? The very beginning? When you asked "her" for a drink? When "she" relieved you?

I believe Lola's deceit was from the moment you expressed interest in "her."

"She" would have been better off if she had been honest with you. Only by being genuine and authentic can someone like us because of OR in spite of any bias we might fear from them.

If "she" were honest there would be a better chance of "her" finding someone who really WAS interested in her and not wasting her time or yours.

Sorry for going off topic so boringly.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:59 AM

I don't rmember exactly when, but I posted a story of a going away party for me, hosted by my friends where they decided to "walk the check" (leave the restaurant without paying).

I was against the idea, however, once I knew it was happening I had to go along with it or risk all of our being caught.

(I don't do or condone such things but my 'rowdy' friends and I were younger, dumber and under the influence.)

Anyway, after reading of Bush's neo-conservative blueprint for the "New American Century" I felt it was a BOLD plan, which, if it worked, could totally eliminate many of the world problems which the UN hasn't, can't and won't solve thru diplomacy.

What's more, it could TOTALLY eliminate the problems of al Qaeda terrorism (see Lee Harris' essay, "Al Qaeda's Fantasy Ideology.").

Nothing Kerry proposed might have the same effect and I decided to give Bush my support. The fact is, I have serious "issues" with several of his issues. However, Bush needs support for the grand plan to work and if it does work I believe everyone in the world could be better off.

There you have it.
That's funny, it sounds like you're saying the "Foreign Agents" aren't influencing US elections since the only example you give of someone being influenced to change is your own example and you went the opposite way.

You called me a Foreign Agent before you knew anything about me except what my political opinion is on certain points. I think a Foreign Agent for you is just anyone who disagrees with you and has the ability to challenge your ideas in a way that you can't respond to. It makes you nervous that your views are not as solid as you thought they were. And given your inability to debate the points directly, you're looking desperately for ways to exclude those arguments from being made. Unfortunately, proposing we all identify our nationalities and allegiances (the Jud� star is a nice touch but feels a bit odd), has cost you credibility and rather had the opposite effect you intended.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:00 AM

Wow, aberdeenwriter, you really are one clever little boy, aren't you! You mean you and your 'bosom' pal, Cody "let me pat you on the back" Dawg, have been playing an intensely dense game, of "I spy with my little eye, a foreigner begining with commie european/arab fanatic" with the rest of the board? Amazing! What cunning! Look, ladies and gentlemen, here we have psychology at work!

It's just a solemn pity that you two were just too effing stupid to simply use the search function, since the whole languages thing get's done at least once every six months in the lounge.

You're a sorry excuse for an adult. Someone who needs an intellectual pygmy like Cody Dawg to buffer up his flagging self esteem (I hope that's all that's flagging), and yet makes posts about how he was influenced by friends as a younger, dumber version of his self. I shudder to think just how much of a cretin you must have been back then.

You claim that Poland secretly, desperately, beseechingly wants to be a supporter of the US, and is being cowed by its relations with those dastardly liberal pinko Germans (All 90 million of whom hate the US and wish OBL the best of luck, of course) and the smelly, backstabbing cowardly French. If you had bothered to actually read a newspaper with more attention to detail than your newly found favourite far right sh�trag on this very day, you might have actually picked up the note that the Polish presence in Iraq is deeply unpopular in Poland itself (About 70% of the Polish people are against it, according to the latest polls).

But no! Our heroic, cerebrally challenged friend from WA was too busy ecstatically claiming how reading the fanatic ideology of the PNAC had shown him the light about resolving all the world's (or at least the US') problems. It is sad that our grand master of MacNN boardgames hasn't noticed that that very same PNAC is falling flat on its fat, sweaty face in Iraq.

Oh woe is the lad! Now that Poland has joined the coallition of the leaving, he will have to find a new flag bearer for his explanations.

BTW, the way that you and CD get cosy with one another reminds me of another affable pair that used to haunt these fair waters, namely a certain iwrite (who coincidentally posted exactly the same post on some lurid subject as did CD) and her uhbby who, IIRC, threatened to trot over to Canada and beat up a certain Mastrap. But you wouldn't be stooping that low, now would you?
Yeah.

So, y0! Where you from, dude?

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 03:04 AM

Hi! My name is y0y0 and I'm a human being from planet earth. I don't speak Polish, but I do like Polish g0g0s.

I also give free lessons on ulterior motives to braindead m0f0s.
But what about POLAND?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:08 AM

Hi! My name is y0y0 and I'm a human being from planet earth. I don't speak Polish, but I do like Polish g0g0s.

I also give free lessons on ulterior motives to braindead m0f0s.
I have maintained what I have maintained. You will see the consistency and authenticity in my posts not only throughout this thread, but throughout my history of posts.

Can we deal with the thread topic or are you angry?

If angry, what have I done? How can I make it right?

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 03:12 AM

Can we deal with the thread topic or are you angry?
I haven't laughed as much as this in quite a while.

If angry, what have I done? How can I make it right?
Support stem cell research! Get a post-natal abortion!
But what about POLAND?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:17 AM

I haven't laughed as much as this in quite a while.
Support stem cell research! Get a post-natal abortion!
Interesting you mention one of my MAJOR disagreements with Bush is on the issue of stem cell research. But, the NAC plan is the focus of my greatest hopes, so Bush has my support.

And I support him zealously.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:40 AM

BTW, everyone, don't be angry with Cody Dawg. She was just trying to keep me from getting hurt. You have to admire that loyalty. And even if YOU may not...

I DO!

Thanks, Cody!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:47 AM

But, the NAC plan is the focus of my greatest hopes ...
Except when it comes to Iraq, then you deny that what's happening there is about the implementation of the PNAC/neocon plan and instead claim it was part of the WOT and about liberating Iraqi people.

idjeff
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 03:51 AM

Wow! Nice use of adjectives

Are you trying to win hearts and minds my dear friend? Lose the attitude and it might work.

"Oh woe is the lad"?

My goodness...

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by idjeff:
Wow! Nice use of adjectives

Are you trying to win hearts and minds my dear friend? Lose the attitude and it might work.

"Oh woe is the lad"?

My goodness...
Always good to see you pop in idjeff!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 05:33 AM

If I know you are from Germany (let's say) and are against Bush I'll be able to understand your point of view MAY have come from the theory in Kagan's book and that you and I have different mindsets and agendas.

Many Germans feel Bush's use of power is outmoded and dangerous. Many of them feel diplomacy can solve all disagreements. Well, I believe otherwise and so (with knowledge of where you are from AND where you are 'coming from') I will be able to put your comments in the proper context.
This thread has gone from funny to sad.

If you know I'm *in* Germany, you know nothing about my background, my history, my political affiliations, where I'm from, where I've lived, or whom I've associated with.

Kagan ain't gonna help you there.

Welcome to the internet.

Deal with it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 06:29 AM

Gone from funny to sad? I thought it was sad from the first post on. But a clarification. Just so I stay on the "right" side of the law. As an American citizen living and working abroad, and using the Internet for personal and business purposes, where do I stand?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 06:46 AM

BTW, everyone, don't be angry with Cody Dawg. She was just trying to keep me from getting hurt. You have to admire that loyalty. And even if YOU may not...

I DO!

Thanks, Cody!

Don't sweat it. Others do it as well.

Logic and the LBK used to give each other high -fives all the time.

Nothing wrong IMO.

Edit: small cat to LBK
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 07:03 AM

Randman, who's your foreign principal? Aberdeenwriter still hasn't clarified who I'm working for. FARA is about foreign governments paying local US representatives to lobby in the US. Like those non-embassy Israel types. They need to register with FARA but they wouldn't need to reveal their location if they posted in here and MacNN wouldn't be doing anything wrong by not requiring that information. The suggestion that it even applies here is ridiculous enough in itself but the fact that you're a US citizen and the fact that AFAIK, none of us is posting in here on behalf of a foreign government, party or interest group makes it even more whacko to suggest that posting here might be illegal.

Now let's go back to the humour. ABW, perhaps you want to hint at who we might be working for.
( Last edited by Troll; Oct 5, 2004 at 07:09 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
Randman, who's your foreign principal? Aberdeenwriter still hasn't clarified who I'm working for. FARA is about foreign governments paying local US representatives to lobby in the US. Like those non-embassy Israel types. They need to register with FARA but they wouldn't need to reveal their location if they posted in here and MacNN wouldn't be doing anything wrong by not requiring that information. The suggestion that it even applies here is ridiculous enough in itself but the fact that you're a US citizen and the fact that AFAIK, none of us is posting in here on behalf of a foreign government, party or interest group makes it even more whacko to suggest that posting here might be illegal.
Wow! What an answer. And here I was expecting something like the Masons as an answer. Makes as much sense as most of the stuff in this thread.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules