Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Developing software for the iPod

Developing software for the iPod
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 03:32 PM

Does anyone know if 3rd parties can develop software for the iPod? If so what developer tools do you need?

Thanks.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 03:49 PM

While there are recurring rumors of a iPod SDK from Apple, as of yet there is now way of doing this. Since this is an embedded processor running a non-Apple OS this would require that Apple do a lot of work on a cross-compiler, or create a scripting language for the iPod (not generally something you do on embedded systems).

And I just don't see there being much up-side in it for Apple. What are small developer third-parties going to add to the iPod that would increase sales significantly. And with Apple apparently running at capacity right now...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 07:20 PM

Non-Apple OS? I thought Apple made the iPod Firmware v2.0 and later?

GCC already cross-compiles for the iPod's processor.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 01:46 AM

I know I had a ton of fun getting programs for my TI-89... would love to do the same for my iPod. I'm sure there are a decent number of games that could be made to use the click wheel just fine... and I know there've been times I wish I had different functions for music playback and such. If people could write software for it, I don't see how it'd be much different than my TI-89 as far as the concept goes... the device has a different purpose, but other programs could exist.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 12:44 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules