Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any problems with new Powerbooks?

Any problems with new Powerbooks?
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 10:53 PM

I'm thinking of buying the $1699 powerbook and I was wondering if there are any hardware problems these days that I should be aware of. Also, when was the last time Apple came out with new Powerbooks? They aren't due for a rev are they?

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2005, 11:38 PM

They came out with a new revision in January. 12" went to 1.5GHz, 15" and 17" went to speeds up to 1.6GHz. 512MB of RAM standard across the board...yadda, yadda, yadda, all the specs are on Apple's site.

Only problem is that we're not quite getting a full 8X burn from the "8X SuperDrive."

Other than that, great update! It'll hold everybody over until a significant architecture revision.
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 01:42 AM

Very happy with my 15" 1.67

nashstradamus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 02:47 AM

just got my 12" and i couldn't be happier. it does not get as warm as everyone says and with 768 mb of ram ive only seen the spinning beachball once because a program froze up..

btw, has anyone used solarseek (soulseek client for mac)

KevinV916
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 03:41 PM

I have a 15" 1.67 with 128VRAM and had the lower RAM slot die. The powerbook still worked fine with 1 slot, but Apple now has it and I'm waiting for it to return. It's been 2 weeks and still on hold awaiting parts.

From what I've read though, this problem is not specific to the new powerbooks. It may be a heat issue that's frying the lower slot.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 03:59 PM

I havn't had any problems with my 15" 1.67...
I was worried about ordering online since ppl have said to have had problems with their trackpad and other issues...
But once it arrived.. i havn't had any problems with it.
Both RAM slots work.. sporting 2GB .. so i'm happy
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

evilernie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 04:06 PM

15" 1.67, 100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, and 2GB RAM. No problems so far, I love this machine.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 06:32 PM

Had replied ... encountered a database error .

Basically, 1.5GHz 12" SuperDrive with 1.25GB RAM and all going well. Fans were on heaps and loud the first few days but seem to have sorted themselves out (or something). Haven't tried burning with the SuperDrive yet but it does seem somehow more sensitive, in that it refuses to read a few audio CDs that my G3 iBook tray-loading combo drive had no trouble with. But the encoding speed is so much faster than it was on that machine .

Apple bluetooth mouse also working nicely, together with the wonderful scrolling abilities of the trackpad.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2005, 09:19 PM

I too have the 15" 1.67, with a 100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, and 2GB of sweet RAM. I mostly use it for audio recording and so far so good. Most of the rpoblems i have seen on the forums do not apply to my 15" powerbook.... yet. we will have to wait and see.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2005, 04:10 AM

As was stated before there have been talks regarding trackpad problems. this is manifest in fast horizontal movement but slow vertical movement.

just today i went into the local apple store here in australia and i saw this effect on the 15 and 17" lol. It truely does suck. i have seen trackpads on eariler revisions behave much better and also trackpas on other syste,ms behave better. the previous ones were 'synaptic'? the new ones are from a different manufacturer.

Well... i would never again buy a 15" because of the uneven illumination problems in it (historically) and the 17" historically has the least problems out of all the pb models. ( deduced from reading the oficcial apple discussion forums lol).

but... i am positive that if you get any weird behaviour from your pb, make sure you can replicate it everytime so that when you take it into the applestore or send it to apple they can also replicate it. be sure to describe it very precisely and in detail so they know exctly what you are talking about. Then i am sure they will be happy to fix it. it sux for there to be something needing fixing .. lol... but what can ya do?

regards,

rob.

Forum Links
Forum Rules