Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What COOL stuff did you notice about your MBP?

What COOL stuff did you notice about your MBP?
n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2006, 10:40 PM

Yep, i just received mine a few days ago and we're getting along very well (switcher). Started to notice little things that make the MBP such a wonderul thing.

The sleep light "breathes" when AC adapter is plugged in, that's so cool!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 02:48 AM

Welcome to the Mac world! Be prepared for more little surprises like this, as Apple likes to delight its users with tons of cool stuff.

I remember when I first got my iBook in 2004. I was totally blown away by how everything seemed to blend and flow into another. Nothing felt out of place.

ibook_steve
Mar 29, 2006, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
Yep, i just received mine a few days ago and we're getting along very well (switcher). Started to notice little things that make the MBP such a wonderul thing.

The sleep light "breathes" when AC adapter is plugged in, that's so cool!
The sleep LED has done that since the Wallstreet (or was it Pismo?) G3 Powerbooks.

Steve

Super Mario
Mar 29, 2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
The sleep LED has done that since the Wallstreet (or was it Pismo?) G3 Powerbooks.

Steve
Pismo was the first to have a breathing light. Lombard had a heart beat.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:23 PM. )

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 07:28 AM

Anybody know how to turn it off. I'm not sure I like it when it is on the table next to my bed.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by vamp07
Anybody know how to turn it off. I'm not sure I like it when it is on the table next to my bed.

If you leave it open it will use the light sensor to dim the sleep light (The PowerBooK certainly does) like the later iMac G5s. It may not be dull enough though and it doesn't work when the computer is closed. Other than that it is black electrical tape...
David.

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 09:32 AM

I do like it. I just through a shirt over the light.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2006, 12:51 PM

I've had the glowing sleep light for 5 years, since my iMac DV, which, btw, was MUCH brighter, and it never bothered me about ten feet from my bed. You could always turn your computer off if it bothers you, you are sleeping after all.

My cool thing contirbution:
I love the mirrored "MacBook Pro" name just below the screen, it looks SO much better than thee silk-screen on my friends iBook. I liked that method too, but the mirror is really cool.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2006, 04:03 PM

Some unexpected, cool things:

The updated speakers give MUCH better sound than my older PB17. I think Apple's investment into the iPod HiFi has paid off for much better sound on this laptop.

I've mentioned it before, but the remote control plus Keynote3 is a very cool and unexpected functionality of the MBP.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
Some unexpected, cool things:

The updated speakers give MUCH better sound than my older PB17. I think Apple's investment into the iPod HiFi has paid off for much better sound on this laptop.

I've mentioned it before, but the remote control plus Keynote3 is a very cool and unexpected functionality of the MBP.
I'll second that - I always wanted something like that for presentations.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2006, 04:35 PM

Why am I reading this? Now I want a Macbook of my own!

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
Why am I reading this? Now I want a Macbook of my own!
I want one too, however I shall be getting one for college in a couple of months

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2006, 11:04 PM

They've slightly redesigned the lettering on the keyboard (at least compared to my old revB 12" powerbook). It really looks nice.

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 01:46 AM

sometimes,I hold the AC adapter plug just outside the slot that it plugs into and let the magnet suck it into place. It feels kind of cool.

The mirrored MacBook Pro writing is cool too. 28fps encode time to h264 from a dvd with handbrake is pretty sweet too.

hmp
Mar 30, 2006, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by SEkker
Have the speakers been updated? Do you have any information on changes? I listened to a song after I read your post, and maybe it's in hindsight, but the speakers do seem to give more detail...
( Last edited by hmp; Mar 30, 2006 at 03:49 AM. )

MacFairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 04:12 AM

I think that Front row is awesom! especially the apple remote... which i hope i don't loose when i take my mbp out for the day. I too am impressed with all the little things you do notice that have gone into the mbp inc. the lettering and mag safe ad. the camera is also pretty sweet too!
Macbook Pro: 1.83Ghz, 120GB HD, 1GB ram
iPod: 30GB

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2006, 04:37 AM

I agree, the "MacBook Pro" mirroring effect is pretty cool, though I don't think it was the intended use But i totally the Front Row, it's neat. But no idea how to set it up so it'll read my pc lol

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 04:55 AM

This prolly isn't new to apples books but...I love the way the keys feel when I'm typing. It makes me wanna ramble on and on. I also like the screen and its beautiful colors.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
But i totally the Front Row, it's neat. But no idea how to set it up so it'll read my pc lol
Drop an alias of a drive on your network into your 'movies' folder and you can access its contents with Front Row (though it's a bit slow - anyone know how to turn off the movie previews?

chibitotoro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peligro
This prolly isn't new to apples books but...I love the way the keys feel when I'm typing. It makes me wanna ramble on and on. I also like the screen and its beautiful colors.
You're right, this keyboard feels amazing...better than pretty much any keyboard I've ever used. I was actually worried about that, because I usually don't like laptop keyboards, but this one is incredible.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by hmp
Have the speakers been updated? Do you have any information on changes? I listened to a song after I read your post, and maybe it's in hindsight, but the speakers do seem to give more detail...
In direct comparisons, the MBP speakers are definitely louder and clearer than either the revA PB17 or a recent PB12.

The enhanced screen brightness is another cool feature that has helped bring this laptop out of the dark in situations with enhanced ambient light (times when I'd normally have to turn off the room lights, this machine works well).

Poogy
Apr 3, 2006, 09:26 AM

Noticed something cool about my MBP: when I'm not using Front Row, but running iTunes in the background, I can use the remote and it interacts directly with iTunes.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 10:01 AM

I think that works also with Quicktime! Nice!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2006, 02:44 PM

Since you're new to your MacBook Pro, are you aware of the backlit keyboard? I think that is the coolest feature of them all. I always get "wow!" when I have my PowerBook backlight on.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I always get "wow!" when I have my PowerBook backlight on.
Yeah, happened to me with the rev. a 17" countless times, you know, the Mercedes-Benz effect

Forum Links
Forum Rules