Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse - worth it?

Mighty Mouse - worth it?
rdf8585
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 03:54 PM

I've heard a ton of mixed reviews on this mouse, but what do people here think? I'm tempted to get one, but the various reports of scroll ball clogging are troublesome - spraying canned air on it would solve that, right? Right now I have a no frills usb optical mouse from Dell.
Mac Mini / 1.33 G4 / 1 GB RAM / 32 MB Radeon 9200 / 10.4.10

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 04:24 PM

Its pretty good - gets better after you get used to the rectangular-like shape coming from a conventional looking mouse.

It might be a little over engineered for a mouse. There are better out there but not many that compliment Apple's products - color scheming and integration wise. You shouldn't have any issues with performance though once your used to the right/left click sensitivity.

-Q-
Dec 7, 2006, 04:56 PM

It's a nice mouse overall. I don't love it or hate it. The left/right click thing takes a bit of adjustment to get used to but isn't a big deal. But if this is going to be a mouse you use all the time, there are better choices out there.

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 7, 2006, 07:17 PM

I really wouldn't bother - it isn't that ergonomic, and it's expensive. I replaced mine with a Logitech MX revolution - expensive, but far, far better.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

rdf8585  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 08:00 PM

Well it must really be bad if Apple fans aren't in love with it.
Mac Mini / 1.33 G4 / 1 GB RAM / 32 MB Radeon 9200 / 10.4.10

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by rdf8585 View Post
Well it must really be bad if Apple fans aren't in love with it.
It's a slightly odd thing. You must hold it by the two side-buttons, and you must lift your left finger off the mouse to make right-click work. If you're comfortable with these two stipulations, you'll probably love this mouse.

I think the Mighty Mouse was almost perfect. If the side-buttons were longer, and if the touch-sensitive design allowed for left and right and left+right clicks, it would have been remembered as a truly innovative design.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 09:50 AM

The nipple will annoy you to no end. It gets dirty and stops working at least once a week. And I don't have greasy fingers.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

nat
Dec 8, 2006, 10:12 AM

Got a 24" i Mac about 3 weeks ago. I'm about a minute away from buying another mouse. I'm so very tired of the mm. Real tired of the right click especially. If you don't hit it JUST right it behaves like a left click, or you must lift your right finger as lpkmckenna said. All in all, it just doesn't feel right to me (this all being said knowing full well to each his own).

pwrmacg4
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 11:34 AM

My mouse nipple also failed i will see if Apple store will fix/replace it, agree its overengineered, too expensive& have to lift index finger each time you use 2nd buttom which gets tired. Try other apple/non-apple mice.

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 02:00 PM

I used mine for maybe... 8 months before I replaced it (mighty mouse). It took some getting used to, and when I got used to it, I really liked to scroll ball--until it would repeatedly clog up. So I just got a wireless Logitech laser mouse. Very nice. I have had no problems with it thus far.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 02:00 PM

I was an earlier adopter for the original, and it failed immediately.

I stupidly got the new Bluetooth version, and guess what, right-click functionality stopped (yes, the Prefs are still set to secondary).

POS.

Naplander
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 02:29 PM

sometimes I love it, but the clogged up scroll wheel thing really drives me insane. Look elsewhere is my advice, then maybe Apple will re-think when their sales are bad
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

rclay6612
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 02:39 PM

Odd how different the responses are. I have three, two bluetooth and the original wired I'm using right now. Never had a problem, the buttons all work, and I've never cleaned the scroll ball.

Longshanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 04:37 PM

After trying the MM for a few months I finally gave it up due to the finicky right click. I wanted to like the mouse so that I could use a multi-button mouse that matched my Mac but I could never be confident that a right click wouldn’t register as a left click. The right clicker had to be pressed in the "correct" spot or it registered a left click instead. A right click that was too far to the right or too far to the front would register a left click!

On the positive side, the mouse is very comfortable and I loved the scroll ball (never had a problem with it sticking) and it looks and feels good.

For all the well thought out Apple products that are intuitive to use I find it sad that this mouse was very difficult for friends and family to use. I've had to explain to them where to click for the right click to work properly (and by the way make sure that your index finger isn’t resting on the left clicker when you right click) - not very intuitive.

I currently use a Logitech VX Revolution with my G5 iMac which I strongly recommend. Perhaps the next time one of my nephews plays Aqua Mines on my machine he won't inadvertently blow himself up when the mouse sends a left click response from a right click.

warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 05:46 PM

I have both the Wireless and the USB version and I like them both. I never use the side squeeze feature due to having to having to squeeze fairly hard for it to work. I wish the scroll nipple was a bit bigger with a slightly bigger opening so that you can scroll faster and it wouldn't stick as much. When it sticks, I just turn it over and blow on it and it starts working again. The first wireless I had was no good (bad and jumpy tracking), and I swapped it out for another and it works great.

Are there other mice out there that are better? You bet. Does Apple make a better one? Nope. I personally like the fact that it is simple in design, just a few buttons. I hate a mouse like the new Revolution with 10 buttons, zooms, scrolls, volume controls and playback function. It is just too much for my hands to deal with.
iStink (with my Mac)

SM0 A9F4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 11:48 PM

I was waiting for Apple to come out with a better mouse (this was before they came out with the Mighty Mouse) and I bought thye RadTech BlueTooth wireless mouse. That was a mistake. It has terrible buttons and hurt my hand just to use it. I will probably get the Apple mouse now. It just feels right.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2006, 12:33 AM

the only problem i have with the mm is the little scroll ball...like others have said, it tends to stop working even when you don't have greasy hands.....i have taken it to the apple store twice with complaints but their only response is to clean it so i just have to deal with it. it is working fine now, but it works when it wants to work....so it will scroll up some days but not down...other days it will work fine.

Otherwise, i have had no problems with it.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

nerd
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 02:34 AM

I love the scroll ball because of the horizontal scroll. Now when I use a regular mouse I start complaining. I do agree that the right click sucks sometimes.

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 09:33 AM

I don't have the MM, but I've tried it at the Apple Store. I really want to love it, but it just isn't so very ergonomic, the ball is tiny and awkward to control, and right clicking is odd and uncomfortable.
I've been using a Logitech MX700 wireless for years- it's an excellent mouse, with none of the MM's faults, and many easily programmable buttons that I use frequently (Page up, Page down, Go forward, Go back, switch to last application).
Jobs has a bug up his a** when it comes to mice - always has had. This will go down in history as one of his idiosyncracies and inexplicable faults

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 03:51 PM

The MM is overall a good mouse. I'm used to the shape of Apple's mouse and don't find the nipple ball too distracting. The nipple does fail to work on occasion and you won't be able to get a good grip to scroll. Then, you'll have to clean it with a moist towel and soap or something.

Avoid the BT MM though. I opted for it with my Mac Pro and it's very laggy. I've since bought a corded MM.

booboo
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 05:03 PM

I like the look of it, I like the shape of it, but those squeeze buttons are in the wrong place for my hands, and that little ball is always refusing to scroll one way or the other, it's a real PITA.

Basically, the ball's too small, so it's particularly susceptible to even the smallest amount of dust - or sandwich - or whatever . . .

Are you implying I'm a slob?

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2006, 09:08 PM

Currently using Microsoft "Basic Optical Mouse PS2/USB" with my iMac. Just ordered the Logitech MX Revolution ($65 or so from Buy.com with Google checkout!).

I'd never dream of using the MM.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
The MM is overall a good mouse. I'm used to the shape of Apple's mouse and don't find the nipple ball too distracting. The nipple does fail to work on occasion and you won't be able to get a good grip to scroll. Then, you'll have to clean it with a moist towel and soap or something.

Avoid the BT MM though. I opted for it with my Mac Pro and it's very laggy. I've since bought a corded MM.
Laggy is an understatement. I had the original Apple BT mouse and found that it had great precision for my needs. I now have the BT MM and can't stand the way it acts. No matter what I do the precision just isn't there. It has been this way since new.

Love the scroll ball and the right click isn't hard to get used to. I am going to call Apple and see if they will replace it just in case it is a defective unit.
( Last edited by discotronic; Dec 12, 2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Very Bad Grammer:))

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 08:36 PM

I just bought one along with a wireless keyboard. I have not experienced any type of lag or anything. I'm not concerned about right click so much. I don't use my Mac for gaming. Not that I don't miss the right click...but I'm getting by great so far. Love the Zoom. Love the shortcuts. The side buttons are tough. I like the fact that I can throw away my stupid mouse pad. I have two concerns: Most people are saying the scroll nipple stops working. I have very sweaty/oily hands. I hope these complaints are exaggerated I also hope I can find something to keep this safe while traveling...It kinda seems like it'll get smashed in by bag.

Otherwise I am loving these things!!! I highly recommend.

booboo
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 09:47 PM

The mighty mouse has a right click.

Duh

Go to System Preferences: Keyboard and Mouse and select what you wat a right-click to do.

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 12:55 AM

I like the Mighty Mouse after splurging on Black Friday....the little scroll ball is small, but I like everything else about it...especially the control of the desktop/widgets/right-click menus....I use the wireless version with my laptop....nice.

A friend has mentioned that his scroll ball gummed up and is very hard to clean...

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by gentryfunk View Post
I like the Mighty Mouse after splurging on Black Friday....the little scroll ball is small, but I like everything else about it...especially the control of the desktop/widgets/right-click menus....I use the wireless version with my laptop....nice.

A friend has mentioned that his scroll ball gummed up and is very hard to clean...

TGF
Just rub it against your shirt in all directions for a minute or so and you're good to go for 2 days.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

bloodline
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2006, 09:14 AM

I've got two BT MM, I find the scroll ball brilliant... never had a problem with it. On the first mouse the right click would sometimes fail to register (used have to turn the mouse off and on again to get it to return), but that seems to have sorted itself out with age... and the newer always worked.

Happy with both BlueTooth Mighty Mice right now
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

-Q-
Dec 12, 2006, 12:27 PM

I love the *concept* of the horizontal scroll, and do miss it if I'm using my old MX 700, but as it's been mentioned before, the damn ball clogs regularly.

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 12, 2006, 03:34 PM

In general I like the MM. My first MM scroll ball did stop working and Apple replaced without fuss. I can understand people complain about the right click but I do like having the entire mouse surface for left clicking and dragging. I find the squeeze buttons awkward and do not use them. Apple should have left them out.

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 09:17 PM

"It has a right click"

Yeah it does...I meant the right button gamers are always missing. Even if you aren't gaming the right click is just alright. The squeeze buttons are infact much less of a pain in the neck then the right click since it sometimes screws up.
( Last edited by Peligro; Jan 11, 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 10:23 PM

I had a wired MM first, then a bluetooth model. I really like it, but I use a computer all day at work, too, and I found that the MM was making my wrist ache a bit. For the time being at least, I've gone back to a more ergonomically shaped mouse. I've got smaller hands, and I'm finding the Logitech Revolution VX is a nice fit for me for a daily mouse. Though its marketed as a notebook/portable mouse, I find its a good size.

And believe it or not, my right index fingertip is actually sore from mousewheeling/scrolling all day long at work, so the wide, frictionless wheel on the Revolution VX is very comfortable.

The machines at work all have Logitech MX-518 mouses, so I'm thinking about picking up another Revolution VX to keep with me at work. The little receiver dongle stows away inside the mouse body when not in use, so it'll be easy to carry.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 12:55 AM

If I hadn't gotten a wireless MM, I might've gotten a Logitech VX instead. It's somewhat awkward to hold. Something about it feels different than the wired version, though. Oo

Far from egronomic. Reminds me of the hockey puck. D: But at least the hockey puck was pretty.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 12:06 PM

I'm rather happy with my Bluetooth model, but for the Money, the V270 from Logitech is better (I like having real buttons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules