Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dead ibook hard drive?

dead ibook hard drive?
Johnbmx26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 12:10 AM

Hey,
I'm not exactly sure if this is it, but this is what I'm guessing?
The monitor is all black on my ibook whenever I turn it on. I can still hear everything running, but I can't see anything. I thought maybe the screen died out, so I got a firewire cable and connected my ibook to the imac, and all of a sudden the screen came back to life again. (showing the firewire symbol).. But whenever I do connect it, on my imac, I get the beach ball and cannot click the ibooks harddrive.

I also tried putting the OS X install disc in the ibook and booting it up from there, but it does not work. But if I try to mount the ibook's hard drive on my imac again, I get the beach ball, but the OS X install software starts up too. This is a dead hard drive right? If so, anyone know the replacement cost? I have a friend who can install the hard drive for me, but I'm not sure if that's the only problem. I'm no longer under warranty.

John

Johnbmx26  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 12:18 AM

ah, just tried resetting the PRAM.
Now my screen works.. but I get an error "launchd: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: Exec format error'"
So now, I'm booting from the install CD. It took awhile and a folder with a question mark showed up on the start up screen for a little while . It's installing now, and hopefully it'll work all the way through.

Any ideas what had happened? What does the folder with the question mark mean?

Cold Warrior
Aug 31, 2007, 01:03 AM

It means it can't find a valid OS to boot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules