Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Adding extra internal SCSI drive to 8200

Adding extra internal SCSI drive to 8200
iPaul UK
Senior User
Nov 26, 2001, 04:26 PM

Before any of you get all over excited.. Yes there was such a Mac as an 8200! It was a Euro only model. But essentially it's exactly the same as the 7200 series but with a 120MHz cpu and in a tower case rather than a desktop case.

Anyway! As standard, this 8200 came with a Quantum FireBall 1.2gig scsi drive. And I used to use this Mac with an additional scsi drive that was in an external case. It just so happens that this is also a Quantum FireBall 1.2gig drive. IE Identical to what is already in the 8200 as standard. As the 8200 has a spare drive bay, I wanted to mount the 1.2gig drive that was in the external case, Inside the 8200. This in itself is easy enough.. But where is the scsi ID set on these drives!? I can't see where this is done on either of the 2 drives.

I'll be greatful for any wise words of wisdom and advice!

iPaul UK  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2001, 05:15 PM

Ok, found the teeny miniscule jumpers.. But I still need help on what to do with them! (I don't want to ruin anything) Both the external and internal drives had their jumpers set to the "TE" position. And there are 4 other positions available to select. Which are, A2, A1, A0 & PK

Suggestions please?

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 07:15 AM

Usually SCSI drives have two sets of jumpers. One set controls the SCSI ID, the other sets options for the drive. There are usually 6 pins to set the SCSI ID. They use binary to set the number. No pins is 0. The first set of pins is one, then two, then four. So if you want the ID to be 5, jumper the first and third set (1+4). Sorry...I don't have a 1.2GB Quantum Fireball right here, so I can't say exactly where the jumpers are. Hopefully I helped in some way.

iPaul UK  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2001, 11:23 AM

Thanks for your reply.. In the end I trawled my way about on the net for some info.. And just about got what I needed. Although ultimately I ended up picking a jumper position pretty much at random! I nervously powered up the ol Mac.. And all was well!

Forum Links
Forum Rules