Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 8.6

Mac OS 8.6
smokymnt
Jul 5, 2000, 11:11 AM

I need a 8.6 os cd so I can update some older machines at work. Did apple make a 8.6 cd or do I have to install 8.5 and update?
Thanks

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 11:17 AM

You can get it for free of the Internet (update from OS 8.5 and higher to 8.6.1) or on a CD, I believe.

Just download it off Apple's support page. They should still have it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 11:18 AM

If you can't find the update there, try third-party resources like www.versiontracker.com and www.download.com .

Good luck, and happy surfing!

mr. 604
Jul 5, 2000, 12:47 PM

i've never seen a retail 8.6 cd, the only way to install 8.6 on beige is to have an 8.5 full cd and update to 8.6. some imacs and g4's had 8.6 full install cd's, but those cd's were specific to machine.

The Dark Half
Jul 5, 2000, 05:05 PM

i have seen an 8.6 Full install/bootable CD, but no clue where it came from! Sorry i cant help further.

smokymnt
Jul 5, 2000, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the help ya'll

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2000, 09:58 PM

OS 8.6 does come in a CD which I purchased from Apple using their coupon. I don't recall but I believe it costs less than $15.

------------------
George
bigbiker

canoe
Jul 6, 2000, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by George Orville:
OS 8.6 does come in a CD which I purchased from Apple using their coupon. I don't recall but I believe it costs less than $15.

I purchased one of these from Apple Australia for $35 under the applecare warranty program last year, FWIW

shopdowneast
Jul 6, 2000, 11:28 AM

The 8.6 full install cd I have really contains both the 8.5 full install and 8.5-->8.6 Updater. the normal installer just auto-runs the updater; but inside the folders the updater is exactly like the one you download off apple's web site.
So depending on your time/resources you could use an 8.5 install disk, then use some method to get the 8.6 updater to each machine and run that.

the update parts on the cd are about 30 megs, will compress w/stuffit to about 10.

Or order a cd from smalldog or other company is they have one.

doolsap
Jul 6, 2000, 12:44 PM

I made an 8.6 CD by burning my 8.5 apple CD and adding the 8.6 smi to the disk- it comes in handy and I added several other updated installers for more functionality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules