Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Database software

Database software
m_brand0
Apr 29, 2003, 08:50 PM

What good database software is out there for Mac OS X? I have absolutely zero knowledge on this subject and would love some input. This software would preferably sync up to my Palm.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 08:52 PM

You pose two seperate questions. Database software = MySQL. Best "software" period. Something to sync with your palm? You mean like Entourage??
-.-
12" SuperDrive

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 08:54 PM

Filemaker, while not what one would typically think of as the world's greatest database, syncs with Palms and is quite user friendly...

m_brand0  (op)
Apr 29, 2003, 08:56 PM

Something like ACT (that's the only one I've ever heard of). The purpose is for contacts, ToDo's, call notes, etc. Something better than Palm Desktop that I can run on my Mac and my Palm..

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 08:58 PM

Palms sync with Microsoft Entourage, don't they? Entourage is better than Palm Desktop for those things.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by m_brand0:
Something like ACT (that's the only one I've ever heard of). The purpose is for contacts, ToDo's, call notes, etc. Something better than Palm Desktop that I can run on my Mac and my Palm..
Daylite is the closest thing to ACT on OS X. It's even got an ACT importer. It's not without it's flaws (primarily a Calendar module that is under-functional) it's also got many great features.

Palm sync isn't all the way there but there's Address Book sync and in the latest beta there's iCal sync - thereby giving you pseudo-Palm syncing (the programming challenge is apparently getting anything cocoa to talk to the palm conduits.)
cpac

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Filemaker, while not what one would typically think of as the world's greatest database, syncs with Palms and is quite user friendly...
Ahhh I see what he was asking. In this case, yes, FileMaker might be really useful (since it does synch with Palms and is user friendly). I was thinking OBDC type database. I'm an idiot.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules