Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DiskWarrior 3.0 in February

DiskWarrior 3.0 in February (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2003, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
W00tems!

*peers through Alsoft window, hands and nose to the glass*
"open open open"

Hey Alsoft. Snap it up!

They can take as much time as they need if they think it will result in a more stable and reliable disk utility.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

forkies
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 06:39 AM

W00tems!
lolz, I have to try and get myself to say this word at least once tomorrow.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 05:30 PM

I have it on some (only slightly dubious) authority that the DW 3 preview will expire March 31, and we will see the final app "before that date." There are also some additional diagnostics which runn from the application interface, or can be set up to run automatically, with notification via alert or email in case of a failure. That could be handy for network admins.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sam Venning
Mar 17, 2003, 01:41 AM

Still no sign of DiskWarrior 3. Fingers crossed it turns up before the end of March.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2003, 08:24 PM

...allllmooost theeere...

Current DiskWarrior Owners: How to Get the DiskWarrior 3.0 Upgrade

If you own any previous DiskWarrior version (2.x or earlier), you can pre-order the DiskWarrior 3.0 CD Upgrade directly from Alsoft. The upgrade costs $39.95 plus $7.95 shipping and handling (all prices USD). You must provide your DiskWarrior serial number when ordering, as well as your name, address, credit card number and expiration date. When your CD has shipped, we will send a notification to the e-mail address given in the order. We estimate that DiskWarrior 3 CDs will begin shipping in early April.

Freeway Fritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 05:53 PM

es, version 3 will be released in early April. However, if you scroll to the bottow of the promo page it says that Plus Optimizer is not included on the version 3 CD of Disk Warrior.

Why not? This is a stragetic error in my opinion. I do not want to carry around 2 cd's when other utilities only require one.

porieux
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 06:32 PM

Why would you want to carry around a defrag utility anyway?

Freeway Fritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 08:50 PM

yes, why carry around "any" utility program?

Idiot.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Freeway Fritz:
es, version 3 will be released in early April. However, if you scroll to the bottow of the promo page it says that Plus Optimizer is not included on the version 3 CD of Disk Warrior.

Why not? This is a stragetic error in my opinion. I do not want to carry around 2 cd's when other utilities only require one.
From XLR8yourMac:
" RE: DiskWarrior 3.0 and PlusOptimizer
PlusOptimizer has always been available as a independent product available for sale. It existed before DiskWarrior did. (I think most mac owners know that) At a point in time we decided to bundle PlusOptimizer with DiskWarrior on the DiskWarrior CD.

However, PlusOptimizer for Mac OS X does not exist yet while DiskWarrior for Mac OS X (version 3.0) will be given the stamp of approval for release very soon. PlusOptimizer has been started, but not completed. Obviously, we cannot bundle a piece of software that doesn't yet exist.

Once the Mac OS X native version of PlusOptimizer is complete we will announce the product's availability.
Thank you for interest in and coverage of DiskWarrior, and thanks to all of our customers. We are doing all we can to provide the Macintosh community with best utilities available.
Sincerely,
Rusty Little
Alsoft, Inc. "

Freeway Fritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 10:39 PM

Let's hope that when Disk Optimizer for OS X is finished that Alsoft will offer a combo CD that includes Disk Warrior as well.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 11:34 PM

just curious...

techtool 4 or diskwarrior 3?

is (or rather will) one be a better general diagnostic app than the other?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2003, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
just curious...

techtool 4 or diskwarrior 3?

is (or rather will) one be a better general diagnostic app than the other?
DiskWarrior 3 is almost certainly going to be a better utility for repairing hard disk directory problems - to date, these two haven't even been in the same ballpark. However, if you want to test the hard disk mechanism or other hardware, such as the RAM, you need TechTool Pro. TTP also has a (really slow) defragger, while it looks like DW3 won't.

I would definitely get DiskWarrior though. If you want the features TTP provides, then get TTP and DiskWarrior.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 06:36 AM

Well it's "early April." Any word on DW3 yet?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 07:09 PM

Well it's "early April." Any word on DW3 yet?
At this rate, Alsoft is going to have to hold off on the release and rewrite it for Panther 10.3.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
At this rate, Alsoft is going to have to hold off on the release and rewrite it for Panther 10.3.
Yeh it better be good when it gets here. I think it will be.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 02:34 AM

Honestly though, wouldn't DiskWarrior need to be revised for Panther 10.3? I know a lot of work has gone into developing and writing DiskWarrior 3 for OSX, but surely Alsoft will have to revise it for the 10.3 update.

-Q-
Apr 6, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Honestly though, wouldn't DiskWarrior need to be revised for Panther 10.3? I know a lot of work has gone into developing and writing DiskWarrior 3 for OSX, but surely Alsoft will have to revise it for the 10.3 update.
I"m sure it will, but Panther won't be availble for 3-6 months after it's shown at WWDC and that's a whole lot of sales Alsoft would be missing out on if they waited to release it with the Panter upgrade.

Now I'm just waiting for it to be released.

EDIT: Another thought occurred to me: I wonder if they're waiting for the supposed 10.2.5 update to come out before they release it?
( Last edited by -Q-; Apr 6, 2003 at 01:51 PM. )

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
EDIT: Another thought occurred to me: I wonder if they're waiting for the supposed 10.2.5 update to come out before they release it?
Apparently that wasn't the hold up.

bewebste
Senior User
Apr 27, 2003, 06:11 PM

It's possible (although not probable) that there could be a problem with DW 3.0 running on Panther. Regardless, it ships on a CD that has 10.2.5 on it, so you can always boot from that even if it didn't run on Panther right away.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
It's possible (although not probable) that there could be a problem with DW 3.0 running on Panther. Regardless, it ships on a CD that has 10.2.5 on it, so you can always boot from that even if it didn't run on Panther right away.
That's what I'm hoping. That they are working with Apple on compatability with a future file format (HFS++?)

Sam Venning
May 6, 2003, 03:28 AM

Stilllllllll no sign of DiskWarrior! And it is now May!

-Q-
May 6, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
Stilllllllll no sign of DiskWarrior! And it is now May!
Glad I'm not holding my breath. Must be waiting for 10.2.6.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2003, 02:17 PM

Hella gay...

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 03:28 PM

Some people need to chill.

What's wrong with 2.1 right now? So what it's not an X app. It still gets the job done in the meantime.

snerdini
Senior User
May 6, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Some people need to chill.

What's wrong with 2.1 right now? So what it's not an X app. It still gets the job done in the meantime.
I would like to purchase 3.0, but I don't have 2.1 and I won't purchase that, because I know 3.0 is coming. I don't have any urgent need for it right now, and I would rather have Alsoft get it right (like they have in the past), but I would like to have it in my grubby little paws

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 6, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Glad I'm not holding my breath. Must be waiting for 10.2.6.
Ok 10.2.6 is out, now where is DW?!!!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 05:54 PM

hahahah I meant to bump this the other day.

Oh well, patience is a virtue, and <knock on wood> I don't desperately need it right now.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 6, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by snerdini:
I would like to purchase 3.0, but I don't have 2.1 and I won't purchase that, because I know 3.0 is coming. I don't have any urgent need for it right now, and I would rather have Alsoft get it right (like they have in the past), but I would like to have it in my grubby little paws
but if you do purchase v2.1 now you will get v3.0 for free and if you get the cd (not just d/l) you'll get plus optimiser as well, which is not included with v3.0.

now, if you've got newer hardware that no longer boots into OS 9.x, then yeah, no point in buying v2.1
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

bewebste
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 10:53 AM

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 11:00 AM

Go get it!

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
WOOT!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 11:21 AM

Upgrade CD "back-ordered 3 to 4 weeks."

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 11:38 AM

Does anyone know if PlusOptimizer is included or not? Their website gives conflicting info (says it's not included on the DW page but says it is on the PlusOptimizer page). Seems kind of dumb to not bundle a product that has not been updated and has been bundled before.

-Q-
May 7, 2003, 11:50 AM

Heh. I guess my facetious 'wait 'til 10.2.6' wasn't so off the mark.

Downloading now. I just backed up my mac so I think I'll give this .0 release a run-thru...

-Q-
May 7, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
Does anyone know if PlusOptimizer is included or not? Their website gives conflicting info (says it's not included on the DW page but says it is on the PlusOptimizer page). Seems kind of dumb to not bundle a product that has not been updated and has been bundled before.
From the DiskWarrior page (down at the bottom):

What's in the Box

When you buy DiskWarrior, you will receive the DiskWarrior 3.0 CD. This Mac OS X bootable CD includes the following:

DiskWarrior 3.0 application (For Mac OS X)
DiskWarrior Manual in PDF format
Sample DiskWarrior AppleScripts
DiskWarrior Read Me
Quick Start Manual
DiskWarrior 2.1 (For Mac OS 7.1-9.x) and electronic documentation

Please note: Unlike some previous versions, DiskWarrior 3.0 does not come bundled with PlusOptimizer. (PlusOptimizer still requires that you start up from a Mac OS 9.x or earlier disk.)

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:30 PM

Wait a minute...so if you have a disk that has OS X only (no Classic), you cannot run PlusOptimizer at all? In other words, can you still boot from the DiskWarrior CD (v.2.1, which starts up under OS 9.2)?

bewebste
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Wait a minute...so if you have a disk that has OS X only (no Classic), you cannot run PlusOptimizer at all? In other words, can you still boot from the DiskWarrior CD (v.2.1, which starts up under OS 9.2)?
You can still run PlusOptimizer as long as your machine can boot OS 9. So if you have the old DiskWarrior CD, you can boot from it and run PlusOptimizer from there. The only machines you can't run it on right now are the newest models that don't boot OS 9. The new DiskWarrior CD actually comes with a copy of OS 9 and DiskWarrior 2.1 as well as OS X, but it doesn't have PlusOptimizer included.

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:52 PM

Sweetness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 03:05 PM

You can still run PlusOptimizer as long as your machine can boot OS 9. So if you have the old DiskWarrior CD, you can boot from it and run PlusOptimizer from there. The only machines you can't run it on right now are the newest models that don't boot OS 9. The new DiskWarrior CD actually comes with a copy of OS 9 and DiskWarrior 2.1 as well as OS X, but it doesn't have PlusOptimizer included.
because the OS X version of Optimiser isn't ready yet, I think they said later this year or something
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules