Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Font Book: What happens to disabled fonts?

Font Book: What happens to disabled fonts?
Sam Venning
Oct 29, 2003, 07:29 AM

Font Book is a very welcome edition to the Mac OS. I like how it also lists non-English fonts in the English character set.

When fonts are disabled are they moved to a different folder or are they simply removed from font menus?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 08:20 AM

in short, nothing. FontBook just flags the fonts so they don't apear in the menus. If you dont have FontBook runung thay are all enabled by default (the totaly wrong behaviour IMHO. they should be disabled, and you would use the app to enable the fonts).

FontBook is a total waste for anybody who neads a font management app. How pointles a font management app for people who don't nead one.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
in short, nothing. FontBook just flags the fonts so they don't apear in the menus. If you dont have FontBook runung thay are all enabled by default (the totaly wrong behaviour IMHO. they should be disabled, and you would use the app to enable the fonts).

FontBook is a total waste for anybody who neads a font management app. How pointles a font management app for people who don't nead one.
I don't think the point of Font Book was to supplant the already developed font management tools for the graphic designers. Get over it.

I think a rudimentary font management tool for people like me is perfect - I do some occassional graphics work (and of course have lots of fonts). I don't want to spend the money on a pro-level management tool I don't need - nor do I want to spend the time organizing fonts.

Font Book should aspire to be a very basic font management tool - it needs some work at this point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules