Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A Question for iMac G5 Owners...

A Question for iMac G5 Owners...
mikerally
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 03:13 PM

Hi there,

Could any iMac G5 owners please confirm the following for me...

I was told that the iMac G5 no longer ships with a Mac OS 9 System Folder pre-installed (for use with the Classic Environment in Mac OS X - obviously not for booting up with!) just like the currently shipping PowerMac G5.

And if you want to use the Classic Environment in Mac OS X, you have to install the Mac OS 9 System Folder from an installer on the the Software Restore DVDs that accompany the computer.

Up for debate:

When do you think Apple will revise the rest of their computers to fall in line with this change? At their next speed-bump?

When do you think Apple will drop the Classic System Folder installer from the software restore DVDs?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 03:19 PM

I don't have a new iMac so I can't answer your first question. But I wouldn't be suprised if at the next speed bump Classic isn't shipped with the computers, especially if this iMac doesn't. I think Apple is trying very hard to "kill" classic and make everything revolve around Mac OS X (which it kinda already does.)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 04:33 PM

mike,

Classic is not installed on the new iMac. To tell you the truth, I didn't even check the DVD.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 08:18 PM

i doubt they will drop it for at least 2 years.

glhart
Sep 25, 2004, 11:08 PM

OS 9 can be installed from the third DVD that comes with the computer. It says something like "extra installations," which is confusing. But it's actually 9.2.2.

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 05:40 PM

Yeah I just checked on the PowerMac G5 we have at work.

You get two Mac OS X install/restore DVDs with it, and the third disc is a hybrid Apple Hardware Test CD/Extra Applications CD. This disc has an installer on it which installs the Classic System Folder and a copy of Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive edition.

From the sounds of things, the iMac G5 is probably similar. It would cool if anybody could confirm that.

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 11:40 PM

OS 9? Classic? That has a familiar ring to it. What was that again?

Jared
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

Forum Links
Forum Rules