Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X and Monitor Resolution

OS X and Monitor Resolution
doclee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2001, 09:46 PM

Sonnet just released patches that will let me upgrade my PowerMac 7500 with an upgrade card to OS X. When I did this, I found that I can only get 640x480 at 66Hz Refresh. Is there a way around this? I am accustomed to setting my monitor (AppleVision 17'') to 1152x870 at 75 Hz. Thanks for any help.

<Jfischetti>
Sep 5, 2001, 10:08 PM

I have found that keeping the monitor disconnected from the CPU on startup will yield you an array of monitor sizes and refresh rates.

I too have the problem (minus the sonnet card) with NEC Multisync XE21 and cannot get the desired 1152x870 75Mhz without ALWAYS keeping the monitor disconnected at startup and plugging it in about 2 minutes into the boot up.

I hope to God 10.1 will have this problem resolved...

Good luck.

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2001, 04:28 AM

Asides from the screen how does it run?
John

tomfrit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2001, 06:16 AM

i had the same problem and found it was in the cable - i plugged another cable (bnc) in and had all the resolutions i needed...

doclee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Aussie John:
<STRONG>Asides from the screen how does it run?</STRONG>
Seems to be fine otherwise.

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2001, 06:15 PM

I have the same thing happen to me sometimes on my dp g4.. and thought I'd note I installed 5g40 today and had the same unrecognized display problem but instead of just giving me the one 640 x 480 resolution it gave me all resolutions, even some my display doesn't do, and I was able to switch out of it.
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

<Bill>
Sep 10, 2001, 04:53 PM

I've had the same problem after my machine crashes and have been on the phone w/ Apple a number of times re: this and a few other issues w/ my G4 500/DP. I still haven't gotten a straight answer from them as to whether it is hardware or software, but they did give me two 'workarounds' and a bunch of excuses.

Workaroud 1 - crawl under my desk and unplug my monitor from the CPU every time I restart my machine. Unforntunately, for me anyway, its not practical as my machine crashes way too ofter.

Workaround 2 - on the monitors physical setup, turn DDC off. On my Apple Studio Display: Setup-&gt;ETC-&gt;DDC-&gt;OFF. From what I gather, this how the monitor tells the OS what resolutions it support. Unfortunatly, if I go this route, I cannot get my highest resolution (1600x1200) without rebooting with the DDC turned on. Not that I use it often, but its enough of a hassle when I do.

Luckily - with 10.0.4, my machine has become stable enough to use and crashes and kernel panics are becoming less of an issue.

<Bill>
Sep 10, 2001, 05:00 PM

I've had the same problem after my machine crashes and have been on the phone w/ Apple a number of times re: this and a few other issues w/ my G4 500/DP. I still haven't gotten a straight answer from them as to whether it is hardware or software, but they did give me two 'workarounds' and a bunch of excuses.

Workaroud 1 - crawl under my desk and unplug my monitor from the CPU every time I restart my machine. Unforntunately, for me anyway, its not practical as my machine crashes way too ofter.

Workaround 2 - on the monitors physical setup, turn DDC off. On my Apple Studio Display: Setup-&gt;ETC-&gt;DDC-&gt;OFF. From what I gather, this how the monitor tells the OS what resolutions it support. Unfortunatly, if I go this route, I cannot get my highest resolution (1600x1200) without rebooting with the DDC turned on. Not that I use it often, but its enough of a hassle when I do.

Luckily - with 10.0.4, my machine has become stable enough to use and crashes and kernel panics are becoming less of an issue.

<jfischetti>
Sep 10, 2001, 05:16 PM

Just curious -- do you turn DDC 'off' through a software program running on the Mac, or do you physically press the buttons on the monitior -- "menu, setup and the like'' to manipulate this setting?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2001, 08:01 PM

DDC is controlled from the monitor's hardware settings, not from software. Not all monitors use DDC, so there may not be an option to turn it off.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules