Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > v of OS 10 with mini vs purchased version

v of OS 10 with mini vs purchased version
rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 12:19 PM

Hello

I have OS 10.3 that I bought ( three disc don't recall is CD or DVD) and 10,3,6 that came with a new mac Mini (DVD and os 9 disk)

are the versions the same? ie if I update from the threee purchased to 10.3.6 will i get the same thing?

Im updateing a powerbook and wondered if I could do it from the mini dvd or should I stick with the CD ffrom the purchased version.

and BTW: the new version of the forum does not automatically log me in. any ideas?

rotut
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2005, 01:10 PM

10.3.6 == 10.3.6

The Mac mini install DVD will probably not boot or install on the Powerbook, though - they're set to check what they're booting on, so they'll only install on the hardware they were sold with.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 01:11 PM

Also, the 3 disc set of 10.3 won't boot the Mac mini because the Mac mini is too new.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 02:14 PM

very interesting

does tthis mean when I get a G5 with 10.4 that 10.4 won't go on a g4 dual I have???

rotut
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 16, 2005, 02:31 PM

This has been covered by me here and here .

The short answer to the original question is No, you can't use the Mac mini DVD (or any bundled Mac OS DVD) to install Mac OS X on another Mac. But it can be hacked to.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 03:05 PM

MikeR:

thanks for the info, thats good work. Ill file it away for the future.

rotut
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
10.3.6 == 10.3.6

The Mac mini install DVD will probably not boot or install on the Powerbook, though - they're set to check what they're booting on, so they'll only install on the hardware they were sold with.
Not true. There are typically some changes (new drivers for new hardware), such that the version that comes with a new machine is different than the "typical" build. So if the Mac mini comes with 10.3.6, it may have a higher build number than "regular" 10.3.6, if 10.3.6 has been out for a month or so.

Once the next version of the OS (10.3.7) comes out, it will be the same on all versions, as it will have the drivers for all current hardware embedded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules