Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Buying Tiger

Buying Tiger
MadDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 03:21 AM

Since I have cancelled my preorder (I live in the UK where we won't be getting it until Tuesday if we have preordered from Apple as it's a bank holiday weekend). I have decided to trot down to one of our two Apple stores - the one on Regent's street.

How many people bought Panther on the day of release from an Apple store? What's it like? The store in London is open 'til midnight and starts selling Tiger at 6pm. What time do you think I should arrive? I'm a little confused as to how queing is going to work as the shop will be open all day. Are they likely to run out of copies??

Is anyone here from London and going to the store?

On a side note about the launch - it says they are giving away a PB an iPod and "other prizes". What do you think the other prizes will be and how do you think the competition will work?

3 days to go. How exciting.

MadDoc,

michaelb
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 03:59 AM

On a side note about the launch - it says they are giving away a PB an iPod and "other prizes". What do you think the other prizes will be and how do you think the competition will work?
A sensible way would be to make your sales docket the entry ticket, then draw names from a barrel at the end of the night! Dunno though.

Going to a store is a good idea. I've pre-ordered mine (Sydney, Australia) but I remember for the FIRST Mac OS X release (10.0) it was exciting being in a store and seeing how many people would show up. (I bet the numbers have grown a bit since then!)

dru
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 04:16 AM

Will Apple Stores (brick & morter) be selling Tiger before 6pm or not until the "official launch" at that time?

20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 04:22 AM

I live in London, but I'm going up to the opening of the Birmingham store (will be much more fun!). I want to get one of those free T-Shirts (I already have a London one from when it opened, gonna get the Birmingham one now - yes they are different)!

As for Tiger itself, I've ordered a copy from Apple's online store, but I've already had the chance to have a hands-on play around with a copy, it's good, but I can hold out installing it myself until the week after (nothing so radical about it that makes me want to install it right away).

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 10:11 AM

Love hearing the buzz with the release date looming!

Coincidentally enough, front page news on Google today includes a stream of articles:

Microsoft has thrown its weight behind 64-bit computing with the official announcement of new versions of Windows.

At WinHEC 2005 (Windows Hardware Engineering Conference) Redmond has unveiled Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

'This is a time of profound change in our industry,' said Bill Gates, speaking at the Seattle conference. 'The move from 32-bit to 64-bit computing offers a dramatic improvement in performance and reliability, enabling people to use their PCs in exciting new ways at work and at home.'
MS must really be feeling the heat about their ongoing delays...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 01:00 PM

preordered family pack through Amazon bc of their rebate, but Im going to a CompUSA (no Apple Store in 2 hours driving, plus i worked there and know the Apple Rep ) should be good they still are having a drawing for a shuffle and more

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 02:44 PM

You are very confident that it wont arrive in time.... I got my iLife/iWork set on the day it was released. TNT would have delivered it on Friday if their van hadn't broken down so I went to pick it up at the depot. At least it save the hustle and bustle of the store.
David.

Forum Links
Forum Rules