Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > black macbook paint peeling bought from compUSA

black macbook paint peeling bought from compUSA
chenyichung
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 12:06 PM

ok, so i got a black macbook at compUSA cause' they were havin' the 24 month 0% interest thing that actually included apple products.
after using it for a coupla days, i see the paint around the LCD screen bubbling and peeling off, expecially at the top right above the iSight where the most pressure is placed to open the lid when closed. at first i thought it was just dust, so i rubbed it with a shirt to remove it, but it just got worse.
so by now i'm very upset, i'm not likin' the black macbook's paint anymore, so i want to return it for a full refund and just get the white macbook at the apple store. The back of the compUSA receipt says i can return it, and will be charged a 15% restocking fee UNLESS defective.
so i thought because of the paint bubbling and peeling away, that would be considered a defect. even when i brought it to the store the tech said it was a workmanship defect.
so i was ready to return, and then he says, sorry, we can only give you a brand new one.
so i'm thinkin', ok that's fine, i'll just sell it brand new factory sealed. but noooooo, freakin' compUSA has to open the thing up to make sure the replacement one is not defective.

so now i'm stuck with a brand new black macbook that has never been turned on, but i can't sell for a high price cause' the seal has been broken.
i'll be luck if i get $1400.

i'm just upset cause' i already bought a white macbook from the apple store thinking it wouldn't be a problem retuning my defective one to compUSA.

I haven't opened the white one i got at the apple store.

what do you guys think i should do?
sell the black one at a loss? or give the black one another chance and hope the paint at the top of the LCD doesn't start bubbling and pealing again.

sorry this was so long, just very upset with the whole situation that i probably got myself into

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 12:58 PM

From what I understand the thing with the black MacBook coating peeling is not considered to be normal (that is, it shouldn't happen on every one), so I would venture to say that you would probably be fine with the replacement you got.

I know the Apple Store at least seems to consider it a defect, and they would replace it if it peeled.

So yeah, I'd give the black MacBook another chance, I think.

-Elektrix

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 03:19 PM

return the white one, and take the replacement

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 03:20 PM

What Elektrix said.

It's not paint, btw.

mr_macbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 06:23 PM

I agree that you should try the black one and, if no one else will take it..... you could always give me the white one

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 06:34 PM

well, how much do you think i could sell the black one for?
the factory seal is broken, but it has never been turned on, charger's wrapper is still on, remote's packaging is still sealed.
it's basically brand new

i would keep the black macbook, but i just realized how much cheaper the white one is...

has anyone scratches up their black one yet? how easy is it for the black one to get scratches?
cause' the clear plastic on the white one seems to be harder to see scratches.

bklam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 06:37 PM

just keep it.

get a invisible shield if ur paranoid of scratches.

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 09:55 PM

well, i've decided to sell it
white one fits my finances better anyways
so yea, if anyone is interested in a factory brand new black macbook, let me know
$100 discount from apple.com price

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by chenyichung
but i just realized how much cheaper the white one is...

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 12:10 AM

i didn't just realize, my bank account just realized, hehe

Forum Links
Forum Rules