Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > new and slowwwwwwww 9.2 startup

new and slowwwwwwww 9.2 startup
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 01:30 PM

For some reason suddenly it takes about two or three minutes before I can open anything on my digi/audio G4, which runs 9.2.1 after the computer's booted up. (Still avoiding 10x) In fact, this is odd, I have to force quit Finder and THEN I can open up things.

I've used Disk Aid, etc and the only major difference I can think of is that I added the Apple 15 flatscreen. This couldn't be it, could it?

Your help is appreciated.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 01:40 PM

Check your servers folder, and empty it. Delete finder prefs, reboot, happy day!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2001, 03:03 PM

is appletalk on? (& you're not using it).
filesharing??
when i upgraded from 9.1 to 9.2.1, i had the same problem, my powerbook was looking for a network.

also, you can turn off the memory test at startup: open the memory control panel holding option & command & turn it off!

speed rules!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2001, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
<STRONG>also, you can turn off the memory test at startup: open the memory control panel holding option & command & turn it off!
</STRONG>
Damn! I can't believe I forgot about that!!! I turned off VM but forgot the trick. Definately helps when you've got 1 gig of ram in your Pismo

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2001, 03:58 PM

I spent more than half a day trying to figure out what was causing a delay during startup on one of my partitions running OS 9.2.1.

Turns out it was the Apple Menu. I disabled it and installed BeHierarchic and the delay is gone.

I never understood why Apple didn't buy BeHierarchic. The Apple menu has always been buggy and lacking in customizability (is that a real word?).

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2001, 04:08 PM

i doubt it was the actual apple menu (or the cp); try disabling recent apps/docs/servers..

anyway...
a great way to organize the menu:
try this

works for me, from 7.6 (!) to 9.2.1.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

<gscorer>
Nov 10, 2001, 07:20 PM

Wow! I have been cursing about this issue for months. Not sure exactly which suggestion helped the most but I took all considerations in and the problem is totally gone. I am now no longer afraid of restarting my computer!

Thanks

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2001, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
<STRONG>i doubt it was the actual apple menu (or the cp); try disabling recent apps/docs/servers..
</STRONG>
No, it absolutely was the Apple Menu Options control panel. I spent more than half a day troubleshooting this. Disabling this was the only thing that worked. Maybe the preferences became corrupt, but I prefer BeHierarchic anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules