Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple now shutting down iTunes podcast feeds?

Apple now shutting down iTunes podcast feeds?
Thorzdad
May 26, 2020, 02:08 PM

Over the past couple of weeks, some of the podcasts I listen to via iTunes on my old iMac have stopped updating with an error to the effect that the server’s certificate is invalid. I tried unsubscribing/re-subscribing, but the iTunes Store itself throws me the same error; Invalid certificate.

On a hunch, I jumped to my iPad and tried subscribing via the Podcasts app and that worked perfectly.

So, am I to assume that Apple is in the process of turning off podcast feeds to iTunes completely now? I know the latest versions of MacOS now had the dedicated Podcasts app, same as iOS, but I had hoped those of us unable to use the app on our Macs would still get the feeds via iTunes. Oh, well.

andi*pandi
May 26, 2020, 03:32 PM

it's possible the site itself changed feeds, and only the apps are picking it up?

what is the feed/podcast?

andi*pandi
May 26, 2020, 09:07 PM

how old is your old mac? 2010 mac pro running 10.12 can still find/play podcasts in itunes.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 26, 2020, 09:24 PM

It’s a sad, old, late-2009 iMac running 10.9.5.

andi*pandi
May 26, 2020, 09:56 PM

It should be applauded for still kicking... this macpro is a tank and I will miss it when I upgrade.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 27, 2020, 07:52 AM

It's certainly been a workhorse all these years. I'd love to do an SSD swap on it, to maybe extend its life some more.

So, I tried subscribing to other podcasts, to see if the problem was just with the original ones, and it was a mixed bag. One downloaded the latest episode just fine, while the other failed to DL the latest episode with "An unknown error occurred (-9824)" That a different error (I think) from the original ones, which was something about the certificate chain for the server being invalid.

In another forum, someone mentioned something about the OS's certificate store ageing out. Whatever that is, or if it's a valid concern, or can be fixed.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; May 27, 2020 at 10:25 AM. )

andi*pandi
May 27, 2020, 10:36 AM

The server error sounds odd to me, less like a "your mac" issue and more like "their media" issue. Apple requires podcasts be hosted with certain security settings.

AFAIK, podcasts aren't saved on apple's servers. You see them there but media is linking to provider pages. We are in the process of moving one of our podcasts from one host to another and it has taken much longer than expected... In the meantime I'm sure our subscribers have been getting errors because the feed is down. Some podcasters, if they move servers and don't do it right, they get a new link in the store, so subscribers have to find them again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules