Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Startup times in Jaguar...

Startup times in Jaguar... (Page 2)
robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 10:49 PM

powermatt,

I should have been a bit clearer in my original post--I have a total of 512 megs of ram (I added one stick of 256 to the standard 256) in my Quicksilver 733 edu.

bosolevu  (op)
Sep 28, 2002, 06:19 PM

thanks for the info!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 07:38 PM

This is a really interesting thread, repetative though it may be.

My question: I have a Blue and White G3 400. I have upgraded it with a 7200 40 gig UltraATA Western Digital 2mb buffer hd and 640mb PC133 RAM (I plan on moving it to a Quicksilver case someday ). My start up time in 10.2.1 is just under three minutes. How much an impact would a G4 upgrade have? I mainly use my system for some amature sound work, MP3 encoding, and gaming. How much an impact would, say, a Powerlogix 550 G4 upgrade have for me in these tasks. And would the faster proc speed up the boot much or does it depend more on the HDD and bus speeds?

At $279+ship/tax, its a pricey upgrade for a college student.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2002, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by vasu:
My Dual 867 boots up to a usable state in about 28 seconds.

-vasu

Yes -- about 26-28 seconds... not too bad!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:

What makes his 733 (edu model) with less ram, boot faster than mine with more ram? I want to shave off another few seconds.
I guess it is due to what people call the POST check. The computer checks your memory before starting. Since you have the double amount it takes longer.

There used to be a way to skip the memory check under OS 9, and it made a nice different in the booting time. There is probably the same option under OSX, but i don't know what it is. Anybody?

villa

ARK
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by bosolevu:
What are your startup times in 10.2 using any of the Dual Powermacs?
With 10.2.1 on a Dual Ghz Quicksilver with soundsticks: 38.5 seconds.
I added the .5 because at 38s the desktop was up and the dock was just appearing.
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

mefogus
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2002, 11:05 AM

I'm not in front of my computer now, but I know that with my dual 1GHz Jaguar boots in less than 30 seconds (unless my network is down; in which case it's about 1 minute).

-m

v0id7
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 06:40 PM

why not just use sleep for instant acces
_______void_______

Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 08:07 PM

35 seconds till the thing is usable, until I can launch an app or whatever.

This is after I put in that sonnect tempo RAID card (ATA 133 set to RAID 0) with 2 120 gig 7200 RPM Western Digitals with 8 mb cache each.

This is on my SP 867 w. 640 Mb. and with all my prefs dating back to 10.0

Sorry, I was really excited about how fast this was, especially since at the time I put it in, I had made a complete shift to jaguar, so the speed bump was like whooo!!! But of course it runs for weeks without a restart so it is rather pointless.

But now I can't boot off my 200 gig partition for some freaking reason. It's retarded.

Anyways, RAID makes a big difference. And more RAM might actually slow down the startup a bit, cus there is more RAM to check...

bosolevu  (op)
Oct 15, 2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
35 seconds till the thing is usable, until I can launch an app or whatever.

This is after I put in that sonnect tempo RAID card (ATA 133 set to RAID 0) with 2 120 gig 7200 RPM Western Digitals with 8 mb cache each.

This is on my SP 867 w. 640 Mb. and with all my prefs dating back to 10.0

Sorry, I was really excited about how fast this was, especially since at the time I put it in, I had made a complete shift to jaguar, so the speed bump was like whooo!!! But of course it runs for weeks without a restart so it is rather pointless.

But now I can't boot off my 200 gig partition for some freaking reason. It's retarded.

Anyways, RAID makes a big difference. And more RAM might actually slow down the startup a bit, cus there is more RAM to check...
Can I setup a RAID without adding anything to my G4 now or do I have to buy a card?

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2002, 09:40 AM

About 40 secs on my QS dp1000 w/ 1.5 gigs of ram, with both hard disks on the internal controller.

If I install the SIIG ata133 card, bootup takes 65 secs and deep sleep does not work. So I pulled it

Forum Links
Forum Rules