Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Black Internal 52X CDRW for MDD?

Black Internal 52X CDRW for MDD?
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 08:31 PM

I have been toying with the idea of adding a fast CDRW to my MDD Dula 1GHz, and I'm not so shallow to rule out buying anything beige, but if it's possible I'd like to get one in black plastic like the DVD R drive that came with the machine (for consistancy's sake) The closest thing I could come up with was a TDK velocd, but that was translucent blue and kinda pricey. Any ideas where to look?

Also, how does the machine handle the second drive? Do they both open when you hit the eject key?

nick_coday
Jan 15, 2003, 09:33 PM

Go to:

http://www.newegg.com

They have Black CD-R drives there
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

nick_coday
Jan 15, 2003, 09:34 PM

--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 12:29 AM

Wow, thanks for the links! I found one on there that does 48X burning and is a combo drive, so it plays DVDs! This will be an awesome add-on!

ZackS
Banned
Jan 16, 2003, 08:53 AM

I bought one too

It's a great solution to those of us with only one 5.25" bay.

And only $96, free shipping?! I sound like an ad for this thing but I'm just thrilled to have a burner. I lived without one because QPS decided to bend me over a year ago when I switched to X.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 05:01 PM

So what is the deal with ejecting from the second drive? Since there is no external button, how does the machine handle this? Does anyone have two optical drives in their MDD???

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 05:24 PM

option-Eject or put the Eject menu in the menu bar.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
...or put the Eject menu in the menu bar.
Actually, I think the eject menu icon appears automatically when you boot after installing a second drive.

bosolevu
Jan 19, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Actually, I think the eject menu icon appears automatically when you boot after installing a second drive.
yes, it does appear...

passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 02:21 AM

You just have to watch that the front of the drive clears the bay opening. I installed a black compaq (samsung) drive and reassembled the MDD just to find that the stupid drive wouldn't eject So then I had to remove the drive and detach the piece of plastic on the front of the drive tray. Doesn't look as nice when ejected but thats what those shiny doors are for It works just fine.

Besides I couldn't beat the deal on the drive, free

Avon
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
YEP it does.

Make sure the drive you get has a removable door lid. It does not fit through the opening of the MDD.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 07:58 PM

nice little drive here, once you turn the directions right side up and fix the jumper settings
( Last edited by Axo1ot1; Jan 20, 2003 at 08:10 PM. )

JB72
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 10:44 PM

Yamaha now makes a version of the CRW-F1 specifically for the Mac MDDs. It's supposed to be a pretty good drive, and of course it's the only internal one I know of that is made for Mac.

ZackS
Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 11:40 PM

I just got mine today. It is bad ass. I whole heartedly recommend the Samsung drive to anyone with a Sawtooth G4. There is no part removal required like with the MDD. Installation took less than 2 minutes, there were no drivers to install, and it works perfectly. I was even able to boot off of it and it had no trouble working with Apple's DVD player. (though I was upset that I didn't get any Mac software with it but honestly, who doesn't already have a copy of Toast 5?)

48x24x48x internal combo drive with 16x DVD reading for $96?! You'd have to be crazy to pass this up!

I'll post pictures of the installation if anyone cares.

BenRoethig
Jan 21, 2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
I just got mine today. It is bad ass. I whole heartedly recommend the Samsung drive to anyone with a Sawtooth G4. There is no part removal required like with the MDD. Installation took less than 2 minutes, there were no drivers to install, and it works perfectly. I was even able to boot off of it and it had no trouble working with Apple's DVD player. (though I was upset that I didn't get any Mac software with it but honestly, who doesn't already have a copy of Toast 5?)

48x24x48x internal combo drive with 16x DVD reading for $96?! You'd have to be crazy to pass this up!

I'll post pictures of the installation if anyone cares.
Uh, that link is to the Lite-on.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2003, 06:10 PM

why don't you paint a cheap CDR black?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules