Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP! Cannot empty trash!

HELP! Cannot empty trash!
bosolevu
Oct 10, 2003, 07:45 PM

there is a folder in my trash that I cannot empty! it says I do not have sufficient privileges, although my account is the admin. It is just an empty folder in the trash that wont empty. Anyone with any idea, its so irritating not being able to empty the trash.
( Last edited by bosolevu; Oct 10, 2003 at 07:52 PM. )

i_m_a_l_e_x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 09:05 PM

You can get rid of that folder via the Terminal. Open the Terminal and type the following commands:

cd .Trash

su

(you will be asked for your password, enter it and hit return)

rm -r foldername

Obviously you will want to type the name of the folder you're getting rid of where I put "foldername" above. Filenames are case sensitive in the Terminal so make sure to pay attention to that.

Good luck,
Alex

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 09:29 PM

An easier way is to type:

Code:
sudo rm -r
Make sure you put a space after that second r. So, sudo(SPACE)rm(SPACE)-r(SPACE). Then, drag the file or folder you want to delete onto the terminal window and it'll automatically use the sudo rm -r command with that file. Hit return, enter your password, and it's gone. No need to make sure you get the right folder either.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

bosolevu  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 09:49 PM

I tried doing both but somehow it wont take my password! I have the admin account so I'm not sure what password it is asking for. Still trying...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 10:43 PM

if you are not terminal experienced, try doing it with one of the gui tools like Maintain Your Mac - it has a "force empty trash" function in the misc. section......it's also a handy tool for running some other maintenance stuff....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Buck_W
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by bosolevu:
I tried doing both but somehow it wont take my password! I have the admin account so I'm not sure what password it is asking for. Still trying...
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. Nothing seemed to work. I booted into 9 and emptied the trash... Presto! Gone with the wind
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules