Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which CDR burner to purchase for my G4...

Which CDR burner to purchase for my G4...
bosolevu
Nov 7, 2003, 01:59 AM

Which internal CDR/RW can I purchase that will work with iTunes? I want one that will work straight out of the box, no hacks or updates. I would like to install this in the second bay of my Dual 1GHz G4. Thanks all!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2003, 02:07 AM

The Lite-ON 52327s

This is the exact drive I have and it works perfectly both internally and externally.

(Comes with a free NewEgg T-Shirt too!)
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bosolevu  (op)
Nov 7, 2003, 02:09 AM

Thanks! Can I use this to burn with iTunes?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2003, 02:10 AM

No problemo.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bosolevu  (op)
Nov 7, 2003, 02:19 AM

placing my order now! Thanks again!

Lizard7
Nov 10, 2003, 08:02 PM

Any recommendations for combo (dvd/cd-r) drives?

bosolevu  (op)
Nov 13, 2003, 05:52 AM

I just installed the Lite-on and it works fine with Toast when burning cd's. However, whenever I try to burn a audio CD using iTunes I always get an error and I can't burn, even though the burner is recognised by iTunes. Any ideas? Thanks again.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 06:01 AM

check xlr8yourmac.com I know you need to have a certain pause time between songs with the lite-on. if that doesn't work there is also a link there with a hacked driver which works for me.

CIA
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 07:35 AM

I have a Lite-On 48125S and it works great. (48x12x48x) But head over to xlr8yourmac.com's drive compatability database for a TON of info on all sorts of drives.....

bosolevu  (op)
Nov 13, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
check xlr8yourmac.com I know you need to have a certain pause time between songs with the lite-on. if that doesn't work there is also a link there with a hacked driver which works for me.
I tried the 2 second pause thing and it finally burned! Thanks! Is this fixed in Panther? I would like to burn with 0 second gaps. Or do I still need a hack using Panther?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 05:26 PM

I haven't tried a shorter pause in Panther but I don't think it will work but I'm not sure.

Also the hacked driver doesn't let you use a shorter gap just increases the amount of apps that support the drive (I think).

My profiler looks like

Manufacturer: LITE-ON
Model: LITE-ON LTR-52327S
Revision: QS08
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 1
Socket Type: Internal

only difference (excluding man. mod #, etc.) with that and the pioneer superdrive is the pioneer says Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped

David Lee
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 03:16 AM

The best drive is any drive that has native support, especially as Panther has changed the way it handles such support and it is not possible to add those hacks for OS 9 or OS X up through 10.2.8. Personally, I do not use iTunes to burn audio disks, but the Plextor 48X CDR drive I have in a G4 does work like that. I also have a hand-me down Matsushita combo drive (from a dual 867 MMD) that works well too. Check the xlr8yourmac.com drive database for iTunes compatability and also (!!!) the ability to boot from a CD. I have a Lite-on 48X drive that absolutely refuses to boot a CD in a Blue and White G3 but it works well in a Beige G3, ah the complexity here! If you buy a drive that does not fit the bill installed internally, it may work in an external FW case. (Not always, as that Lite-on that works internally does not work in a Logitec firewire case, but the Plextor does!) I have found that, while not popular, the NEC drives are very good, and usually work in any machine. Good Luck.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 03:38 AM

David raises in important point. I forgot to mention that I both installed Panther and booted off the panther install disks from my lite-on drive (model # is above somewhere). And now that I think about it, I'm not using that hacked driver anymore since I installed panther on a totally clean partition of a second hard drive and never copied it over.

bosolevu  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
David raises in important point. I forgot to mention that I both installed Panther and booted off the panther install disks from my lite-on drive (model # is above somewhere). And now that I think about it, I'm not using that hacked driver anymore since I installed panther on a totally clean partition of a second hard drive and never copied it over.
Could you burn in Panther with 0 second gaps? I would really like that to happen...

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 05:46 PM

I am also wondering this.. Earlier this year I purchased the Lite-On 52X CD-R Drive, but it has that problem. I use iTunes to burn CD's and only like the "0 second gap" option.. It sucks that I have to set it to 2 seconds. It also conflicted with a 3rd party soundcard I had installed (AudioPhile 24/96) and caused kernal panics regularly. I've since removed that soundcard.. It's not preferable to have such limited options with a CD-R Drive.

Thanks for any info someone may have on a good, fast Internal CD Burner that would work with Panther & iTunes.
( Last edited by mikemako; Nov 14, 2003 at 05:54 PM. )
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by bosolevu:
Could you burn in Panther with 0 second gaps? I would really like that to happen...
Sorry I forgot to mention about the 2 second gap.

Anyways, the drive works perfectly under Panther, and iTunes was already set to 2 second gap burning when I installed the drive so I figured the setting was normal.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2003, 01:23 AM

Alrighty.

I've done some investigating. Apparently, the burning gap is set to two seconds by default under Panther. I have confirmed it with two Panther running friends of mine.

Also, I set the audio gap to 0 seconds and just finished burning an album to a CD-RW.

So, yes, the drive is fully supported and works perfectly under Panther.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 05:37 PM

You can find the Apple's official list of supported drives here, but I don't think it is updated very often. Hope that helps.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
...I set the audio gap to 0 seconds and just finished burning an album to a CD-RW. So, yes, the drive is fully supported and works perfectly under Panther.
OK so just to confirm, the same drive that required the 2 second gap in Jaguar now will work with a 0 second gap in Panther? If so that's great!! Would you mind confirming the model number you have so I can make sure to get the same one?

Thanks a lot!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
OK so just to confirm, the same drive that required the 2 second gap in Jaguar now will work with a 0 second gap in Panther? If so that's great!! Would you mind confirming the model number you have so I can make sure to get the same one?

Thanks a lot!
The Lite-ON 52327s.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Lizard7:
Any recommendations for combo (dvd/cd-r) drives?
I installed a Toshiba SD-R1312 combo drive and it works perfectly. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Cheap too (~$50).

Forum Links
Forum Rules