Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Themers Please Keep In Mind

Themers Please Keep In Mind
Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 11:18 AM

With all this talk about the new Shapeshifter I would like to remind you all of something, not everyone has dial up or wants all your desktops. To download a new theme it's sometimes 10+ MBs now! Usually the theme is less than 1 of that and the rest is desktop pictures. So, if you could, please make links for guiKits w/o desktops for those of us who would rather not download all your desktops or for those who might still be on dial up.

Thanks

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 11:42 AM

Dial-up? Never heard of it.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 12:24 PM

Also, do not package themes with icons or desktops for which you do not have permission to distribute. Always get permission first!

mac15
Senior User
Nov 7, 2004, 06:35 AM

I included desktops (many sizes) and a cursor set with the theme and it was just under 1.5mb... that's not to bad over dialup

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 7, 2004, 09:14 AM

I know Aluminum Alloy is over 10 mb, but the desktops makes little difference. It's mostly the appskins because they contain so much graphics.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Also, do not package themes with icons or desktops for which you do not have permission to distribute. Always get permission first!
why? stealing is easy and free, plus it makes your theme look more complete. it's not like anyone actually copyrights that stuff, just puts the silly � sign. right? right?

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I know Aluminum Alloy is over 10 mb, but the desktops makes little difference. It's mostly the appskins because they contain so much graphics.
well thank you, I will have to make my themes with and without appskins, i didnt know they took up that much room.

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 01:12 PM

I know Aluminum Alloy is over 10 mb
Hate to see the file size if the icons were included, I fear the day when that happens.
Were the MMX Mercury icons bundled with BBXMX?, I swear the icons were 17meg or so...

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
why? stealing is easy and free, plus it makes your theme look more complete. it's not like anyone actually copyrights that stuff, just puts the silly � sign. right? right?

Well aren't you just a stupid little f*ck......hope nobody steals your crayons. Oh, and just so you don't continue to walk around totally clueless....digital art is "copyrighted" to the artist at the moment it's created. It's about honor and respect. Something you obviously have none of.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 04:33 PM

Well aren't you just a stupid little f*ck......hope nobody steals your crayons. Oh, and just so you don't continue to walk around totally clueless....digital art is "copyrighted" to the artist at the moment it's created. It's about honor and respect. Something you obviously have none of.
woah, instead of saying the same thing over and over "don't put other peoples things in your theme packages" I was hoping you would tell us more on why you can't. now that you have with some added words of wisdom i guess my job is done here. unless you wanted to pull my hair too.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 06:16 PM

whoa nothing...you start off your post by saying "stealing is easy and free" and then act surprised when someone (me) hammers you for being a twit......You do not include others peoples work in a theme when you do not have permission. It's as simple as that. They are not yours to redistibute. Many authors want absolute control over where and how their work is distributed. Many artists include webloc and readme files that need to be kept with the original files..etc.....

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 06:27 PM

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 07:09 PM

Wow, here and I blamed it on Desktops. But, just wondering, why does a theme with no app skins take up less than 1 meg and add in a few app skins and it blows up huge? I guess I never realized.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 07:24 PM

whoa nothing...you start off your post by saying "stealing is easy and free" and then act surprised when someone (me) hammers you for being a twit......You do not include others peoples work in a theme when you do not have permission. It's as simple as that. They are not yours to redistibute. Many authors want absolute control over where and how their work is distributed. Many artists include webloc and readme files that need to be kept with the original files..etc.....
lolololololol

i also might add that not everyone wants to use shapeshifter as a desktop changer, which i feel is getting into the "jack of all trades, master of one (lololol)" category, or use shapeshifter as an icon switcher. you guys should make a barebones guikit, a full fledged guikit, and then have the icons and desktops in a seperate zip file for us cool people that don't like shapeshifter doing everything.

Mighty_Mike_T
Nov 7, 2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i also might add that not everyone wants to use shapeshifter as a desktop changer, which i feel is getting into the "jack of all trades, master of one (lololol)" category, or use shapeshifter as an icon switcher. you guys should make a barebones guikit, a full fledged guikit, and then have the icons and desktops in a seperate zip file for us cool people that don't like shapeshifter doing everything. [/B]
+1

Oh, wait... I just agreed with fireside. Somebody please tell me that I'm not going to Hell for this.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Mighty_Mike_T:
+1

Oh, wait... I just agreed with fireside. Somebody please tell me that I'm not going to Hell for this.
Hey if your going i'm going to... fireside is right

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 08:26 PM

right, and you got a stick somewhere. i sure hope name calling gets you somewhere and makes you sleep at night. if you even read with a little humor then you would know that i was absolutely not serious and dont put others works in with my own. I posted what i posted so that you would go more into depth on why not put others things with yours and whats wrong with it instead of repeating over and over "no no!!! dont package this if you arnt allowed." I believe most people here respect all that but there are new people that will just be like well why not put these icons that match my theme in here with my theme it will make it look more complete.... but honestly no one really hammered me and im not surprised that you resort to name calling. grow-up budd.
the right right at the end should have clued you in.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:
Dial-up? Never heard of it.

lol it is becoming a minority, I heard it's just under 50% now of all internet users.
click one

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 08:43 PM

right, and you got a stick somewhere. i sure hope name calling gets you somewhere and makes you sleep at night. if you even read with a little humor then you would know that i was absolutely not serious and dont put others works in with my own. I posted what i posted so that you would go more into depth on why not put others things with yours and whats wrong with it instead of repeating over and over "no no!!! dont package this if you arnt allowed." I believe most people here respect all that but there are new people that will just be like well why not put these icons that match my theme in here with my theme it will make it look more complete.... but honestly no one really hammered me and im not surprised that you resort to name calling. grow-up budd.
the right right at the end should have clued you in.
You know you could have just asked..

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 08:47 PM

Yes, I have a stick about people like you. Lets recap....

You advocated stealing...completely disregard the rights of artists that make Icons and Wallpapers and Themes, all free, for people like you who frequent this forum.

You completely dismiss the validity of copyright.

Then you want to say it was not completely serious after the fact....

I'm done with the topic.....Karma is your friend.

P.S. You're right about the name calling.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 09:17 PM

You advocated stealing...completely disregard the rights of artists that make Icons and Wallpapers and Themes, all free, for people like you who frequent this forum.

orangep0ny was being sarcastic in the first place. i read the post and i felt "sarcasm." i don't think ANYONE on this forum advocates stealing.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 09:19 PM

its only funny when the person who agrees with me dislikes me and i dislike them back. i don't even know who you are.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 09:20 PM

Can you post a list of who you don't like?

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 09:42 PM

• digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • esXXI
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • Holigen
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 09:50 PM

Thats about what I thought....carry on!

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 10:05 PM

i don't think ANYONE on this forum advocates stealing.
Not true, mouss does.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 11:01 PM

right, and you got a stick somewhere. i sure hope name calling gets you somewhere and makes you sleep at night.
Well it sure doesnt help his penis grow any...

Though I'm sure he wishes it would

Chris

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 7, 2004, 11:33 PM

I would like to see the extras bundled separate from the kits.. I like to have a custom desktop, and with the way things are now, you can't easily mod the included desktops. I would like to say the same thing about icons and cursors..

PS: I'm NOT one fireside's list

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 11:59 PM

am I the only one who laughed at orangepony's first post, and thought it was nicely executed sarcasm? anyone else? anyone?
DigitalRamen sucks.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by wibs:
am I the only one who laughed at orangepony's first post, and thought it was nicely executed sarcasm? anyone else? anyone?
I did... Note the I posted earlier

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:18 AM

I must be the only one.......oh well....I stand by my convictions. Perhaps in the future, people will make use of the free emoticons for those of us who are blind to veiled meanings.

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 12:33 AM

Sarcasm is NOT funny.

you gotta get out more.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
Sarcasm is NOT funny.

you gotta get out more.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 02:54 AM

Thats about what I thought....carry on!
I must be the only one.......oh well....I stand by my convictions. Perhaps in the future, people will make use of the free emoticons for those of us who are blind to veiled meanings.
maybe you should stick by what you say and be done with the topic, or people like me and our veiled meanings will never be able to actually live peacefully. I once thought you were a cool guy but the way you went off it makes you think twice about someone and their values in life. to care more about a message board than a human being.. well then digitize away my friend, if thats the only means to fall back on.
( Last edited by orangep0ny; Nov 8, 2004 at 03:01 AM. )

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 10:42 AM

• digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • esXXI
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames
  • Holigen
  • digitaljames
  • digitaljames

I'm only on once?

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 11:43 AM

Can we at least TRY to keep on topic.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
Can we at least TRY to keep on topic.
Yes Sir! I know from past experience that it isnt fun to have dial-up. I used to live out in the woods where the cable company would not run lines to. Now this upset me and made me move. I now have the fastest cable available for my area and am still not happy with it but its kinda fast. I used to connect at 28,800 and it was horrible. Sitting there for 20 or so hours to get the latest os X update or an hour for this theme or that. Now it doesn't really matter and I hardly ever think hey what if someone is on dial-up, cause it is no longer a problem for me.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by esXXI:
I'm only on once?
solid proof right there that i'm not bitter.

Mighty_Mike_T
Nov 8, 2004, 06:08 PM

solid proof right there that i'm not bitter.
I also note that orangep0ny isn't on the list.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 09:05 PM

I also note that orangep0ny isn't on the list.
uh, why would he be?

Jay Condon
Nov 9, 2004, 03:31 AM

Stealing another persons artwork is just wrong, and no laughing matter. Unless, of course, you modify, distribute, take credit for and realize financial gain from it. Then it's okay.

<----blatent lack of emoticom to denote sarcasm

Mighty_Mike_T
Nov 9, 2004, 12:49 PM

uh, why would he be?
Because you seemed to react badly to his sarcasm. My bad if I misinterpreted, but your online persona can be a bit... unfriendly at times.

Bringing this back on topic, I'm still torn about the idea of "one-stop shopping" with regard to guikits. Yes, it makes sense to package a "complete" theme, with icons, cursors, desktops, etc., but where does it end? I can easily imagine a future version of SS including sounds and/or minor theme-editing capabilities (beyond the current mix-and-match features). Pretty soon, SS 11 (with Omega!) will be an image editor, an audio tool, a mail client, a newsreader, a dessert topping, and a floor wax.

For those of us who like to really mix and match (with regard to, say, icons), it makes sense for theme authors to release add-ons like icon sets, cursors, and desktop pictures separately. For example, make themes available as an all-in-one guikit, but also as a set of independent components. That way, I can use Pixadex/CandyBar (or whatever) to extract single icons for use where I choose. That would also keep file sizes small for dial-up users (as I am when I'm not at work). If I only want the icons from a particular theme, I can grab just that part of the set (don't get me started on "artistic vision").

Or have I overlooked the blindingly obvious? Is there a way to extract/export an icontainer (or cursor set, or set of desktop pictures) from a mega-guikit for separate use?

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 12:59 PM

For those of us who like to really mix and match (with regard to, say, icons), it makes sense for theme authors to release add-ons like icon sets, cursors, and desktop pictures separately. For example, make themes available as an all-in-one guikit, but also as a set of independent components. That way, I can use Pixadex/CandyBar (or whatever) to extract single icons for use where I choose. That would also keep file sizes small for dial-up users (as I am when I'm not at work). If I only want the icons from a particular theme, I can grab just that part of the set (don't get me started on "artistic vision").
After applying a theme (with icons within) using SS2, can one still have CandyBar replace the theme icons ? Or can one drag another iContainer into the SS2 prefpane to replace ?
I'm still hesitating to install SS2 so I can't try it out for myself, but sure by now someone might shed some light ?

As for now, I'm with Mighty_Mike_T, using SS1 for theme + CB2 for icons + SystemPrefs for desktop. Nothing wrong with that, except in time I will have to upgrade whenever I'd like to apply a new theme made for SS2

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
After applying a theme (with icons within) using SS2, can one still have CandyBar replace the theme icons ? Or can one drag another iContainer into the SS2 prefpane to replace ?
I'm still hesitating to install SS2 so I can't try it out for myself, but sure by now someone might shed some light ?

As for now, I'm with Mighty_Mike_T, using SS1 for theme + CB2 for icons + SystemPrefs for desktop. Nothing wrong with that, except in time I will have to upgrade whenever I'd like to apply a new theme made for SS2
It's 100% safe... the worst that could happen is you have to dissable SS or Candybar. TRY IT!
Edit: also icons are an optional feature, you can put CandyBar on the SS exclude list and just apply your icons with CandyBar.
click one

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 03:05 PM

My vote is still for separate desktop pics.. I like to mod mine to suit my dual displays.. Anyone know how to get them out of the guikits? Other than making screenshots or using GUiKitty?

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
My vote is still for separate desktop pics.. I like to mod mine to suit my dual displays.. Anyone know how to get them out of the guikits? Other than making screenshots or using GUiKitty?
open find and put in the name of the desktop. It'll find them. They are saved on your HD somewhere.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks Twister!

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 05:17 PM

Because you seemed to react badly to his sarcasm. My bad if I misinterpreted, but your online persona can be a bit... unfriendly at times.
nope, digitaljames was the one who took it badly.

oh, and i agree with you on the rest of the stuff.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It's 100% safe... the worst that could happen is you have to dissable SS or Candybar. TRY IT!
Edit: also icons are an optional feature, you can put CandyBar on the SS exclude list and just apply your icons with CandyBar.
Proud to say I've finally upgraded : CB2, TP2, and above all : SS2 working OK - but still touching wood (reaching for my poor head here...)
I've logged out/in between every major step of installation, perhaps that's what saved me from trouble.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2004, 10:17 AM

I could swear copyright was given after a long process, and that prior art and other things were immediately given upon creation of something. Anyone have some documentation on this to backup dj?

Forum Links
Forum Rules