Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Preview: Juice

View Poll Results: Should I implement colour variations on this one?
Poll Options:
Yes! Please do! 45 votes (100.00%)
No! It's fine as it is. 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
[ANN] Preview: Juice
renn
Aug 17, 2004, 08:01 AM

Just a preview of the theme I'm working on. I don't have any ETA on this one, because I'm just really, REALLY busy with my job and so.

It's based on pixelart (d'uh) and is supposed to go with my "love - tangerine" wallpaper I posted on request earlier. I wanted something completely different, so there ya go.

PS. It's just a mockup so far...This is my first theme so I'll have to figure out themepark first before I finish this

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 08:09 AM

woh! love it!!!!!!
i've been waiting for a nice, flat, pixelized theme and this might be it...
jam on it!
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by renn:
Just a preview of the theme I'm working on. I don't have any ETA on this one, because I'm just really, REALLY busy with my job and so.
It's based on pixelart (d'uh) and is supposed to go with my "love - tangerine" wallpaper I posted on request earlier. I wanted something completely different, so there ya go.
PS. It's just a mockup so far...This is my first theme so I'll have to figure out themepark first before I finish this
This looks both promising and a TP challenge !
Is there a chance you'd provide all LOVE flavours ? I'd probably be in for iLine.
But for someone busy (I know the situation) this would be asking too much, right

renn  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 08:27 AM

The colours aren't the problem, so if I release it, it will probably come in all the love flavours, including iLine. I just don't have a lot of time to figure out how ThemePark works, but in the meantime I'll create some more mockups in different colours, so when I'm off work I'll be able to study ThemePark and finish the theme...

But again, it could take a while

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 09:23 AM

The colours aren't the problem, so if I release it, it will probably come in all the love flavours, including iLine. I just don't have a lot of time to figure out how ThemePark works, but in the meantime I'll create some more mockups in different colours, so when I'm off work I'll be able to study ThemePark and finish the theme...
But again, it could take a while
I'm a ThemePark newbie myself. Perhaps this is a good learning way :

a) install a very recognisable theme with lots of different bevels, colours, etc.
b) open ThemePark, create a new guikit package, and Merge with Installed Elements.
c) save it as a training file.
d) open and study every bit, trying to figure out where they belong - most of the time their names are obvious.
e) lay the groundworks of your theme in PhotoShop.
f) take a deep breath and start an almost endless journey through the ThemePark resources.
g) ThemePark has a preview button that comes in handy.

Probably other forum members, far more experienced as myself, might have a better MO though.

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 09:29 AM

THIS LOOKS GREAT!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 09:34 AM

thats really cool. just be sure to mention which font that is. i have a feeling this will look pretty crappy without silk.

keep up the good work though!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 09:35 AM

It's cool, but my concern is that it won't go that well with the default OS X font. I don't have Silk and I don't feel like paying money just to change my font ( ) so it would be nice if you could take into consideration the many people who don't have Silk.

I love the color. I guess variations would be fine by me but I'd probably use orange anyway. It seems to fit with the theme - looks like some kind of "high tech" concept from the 60s. I think turquoise would be a good second variation. After that I'm not sure... maybe burgundy?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
It's cool, but my concern is that it won't go that well with the default OS X font. I don't have Silk and I don't feel like paying money just to change my font ( ) so it would be nice if you could take into consideration the many people who don't have Silk.
You can't display a bitmap font like that anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 01:31 PM

Would it be possible to modify a font to look like that size while actually being size 13 or 14 or whatever the Mac OS default is? I've always wanted to use a font like that with ChosenOS or Ashen...

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Would it be possible to modify a font to look like that size while actually being size 13 or 14 or whatever the Mac OS default is? I've always wanted to use a font like that with ChosenOS or Ashen...
I have tried some "minimal" free fonts that were small. Once projected through Silk though, they rescaled to a 13pt proportion and -of course- looked horrible.
On the other hand, TinkerTool allows you to set font size...

renn  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 02:06 PM

could be a nice new feature for a silk update, couldn't it? anyways, thanks to max i am now the owner of some great theme templates, so i might be able to do the theme a little faster..i'll post mockup shots for the complete set of all flavours later on...
( Last edited by renn; Aug 17, 2004 at 03:25 PM. )

renn  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 03:24 PM

Okay so I finished all of the 5 flavours, as you can see in the mockup above, and in the next few weeks I'll be working with the templates that max posted just now. I'm still not quite happy with the overall look, but my next goal is to finish up a beta version of one of the 5 flavours.

I'm gonna have to see what to do about the font, I might even make a font to match the theme, but that's the far future as I see it now ... I'll be checking out TinkerTool to see if that app does do right to the pixelfont.

Cheers

Jaey
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 03:37 PM

Nice. I'm not sure I like the grey-brushed variant, though....

renn  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 03:39 PM

Indeed. I need to match it up with the alu-look a lot more. But I'll see to that later.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 03:39 PM

The minimalism is great... looking forward to the progress reports.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Nice. I'm not sure I like the grey-brushed variant, though....
Yes there's something appealing about that, though it's a bit strange. Looks nice.
click one

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 05:14 PM

Pixel fonts don't work well with antialiasing and you can't control that locally. It's on or it's off; system wide.

renn  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 05:19 PM

system preferences>appearance>(bottom of the window)>Turn off text smoothing for font sizes (dropdown) and smaller...

I'm not sure though if it turns off all antialiasing or just a bit...

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 05:23 PM

That could work depending on how big the default size for the font was. I forgot that even existed as I have all fonts, regardless of size, smoothed.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 09:59 PM

I love it.
|wishing is for suckers|

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 02:14 AM

Looks very promising indeed.
Just crosses my mind when looking at your preview : there's no blue flavor. I believe your LOVE series has no blue - but still it might be worth considering ? Well, maybe not since there is blue all over...

renn  (op)
Aug 18, 2004, 02:35 AM

You know, the colours are so easy modifyable that I could easily throw in a blue or even aqua flavour too. Hell, why shouldn't I do a panther black version too? I'll see what I can do, but I'm gonna themepark my ass off first

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 08:30 PM

You know, the colours are so easy modifyable that I could easily throw in a blue or even aqua flavour too. Hell, why shouldn't I do a panther black version too? I'll see what I can do, but I'm gonna themepark my ass off first
Eeeeeeexcellent!!!!

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 10:24 PM

PINK ONE!

renn  (op)
Aug 20, 2004, 10:01 AM

Okay, time for a status update:

The last couple of days I've been using Max' theme template to build up all the elements, and so far I've finished the titlebar template and the menus template. Now, as you probably know, pixelart is a time-consuming beeatch (no easy bevels or gradients, it's all handwork, baby), and I have a job AND college is starting soon again, so this might take a pretty long while to finish, considering I have NO themepark experience at all.

So we get to the next point: if some of you themepark-experienced themelovers have some sparetime, and are in for a collaboration, please drop me an email ([email protected])!

Okay, on to the third point of this o-so-interesting-post. Yes, I have been fooling around with other colours, and yes they (black, blue, pink) look quite nice
So, mockups will be posted on request.

Now for the progress shots:

For starters, I know it ain't much, but I'm a busy man.
I thought I'd leave the pixelfont out for you guys to see what that looks like, and I know, with the pixelfont it looks a lot better. But then again, not everybody has got the $ or methods to purchase Unsanity products.
I'm not that happy about the dropdown menu yet, I'm gonna lower the opacity on that one a lot (I love transparent menu's, how 'bout you?).

So, I'm gonna get back to work (job), and tonight I might get some extra work (theme) done.

Cheers

PS. I thought I'd add a little something here...can't help it

( Last edited by renn; Aug 20, 2004 at 10:55 AM. )

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 10:57 AM

This theme is going to redefine the phrase Old School

Keep up the good work!

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2004, 11:07 AM

Icons already ? WOW
Only - the longer I look at the previews, the more I get the feeling this theme just won't be complete without the cute font. Or is that just me ?
Anyway, even with Lucida Yackee, the Juice is coming on great IMHO

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 11:28 AM

it looks a lot better with the font. there has to be some way to do it. right? right!?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 03:01 PM

wow love the black
click one

gautch
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2004, 04:59 PM

Iv got a feeling this is ganna be a hit!

Take your time pushing thoes pixels through that theme park but dont take to long!

renn  (op)
Aug 23, 2004, 05:07 AM

Time for a status update:

Okay so another college year is coming up, and work's stressy, so I'm gonna put the theme on hold until somebody is interested to do the themepark part. The tangerine flavour of the theme's template is done now, it's just that themepark is way too time consuming for me to do it all by myself. If I'd keep building it up it wouldn't be released before christmas, so there you go. Sorry people, but I'm just gonna keep working on the colour variation templates.

Cheers

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 06:45 AM

Time for a status update:
Okay so another college year is coming up, and work's stressy, so I'm gonna put the theme on hold until somebody is interested to do the themepark part. The tangerine flavour of the theme's template is done now, it's just that themepark is way too time consuming for me to do it all by myself. If I'd keep building it up it wouldn't be released before christmas, so there you go. Sorry people, but I'm just gonna keep working on the colour variation templates.
Cheers
Thanks for sharing your great work so far. With college coming up on one hand and the huge ThemePark labyrinth on the other, I understand you're dropping it for now.
But what a bummer

smithz4096
Aug 23, 2004, 07:05 AM

heyho,

great work and (sadly) another example, where OS-X simply lacks the needed features to offer a consistent appearance. This theme simply NEEDS crisp bitmap-fonts, some goes for ASHEN and a few more minimal themes. Otherwise the appearance is not as it should be.

i hope apple does something about it, or maybe some theming-app will offer a solution. Silk is not sufficent for this special case. It's a conceptional flaw, that only one font is used systemwide without the choice of different fonts for various things in X. (menus, listviews, etc.)

maybe later, keep up the good work!

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 07:36 AM

this is looking really nice, I look forward to it.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 11:29 PM

Any updates re: progress?

Cruzn15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 12:44 AM

Wow, I'm really looking forward to this one. The spice orange is great!

renn  (op)
Sep 5, 2004, 10:51 AM

I'm still working on the templates for all colour variations, which are coming along pretty good, but on the flipside I'm still looking for an experienced themer who can do the ThemePark work for me, 'cause I'm way too busy for that. So, collaborators, feel free to email me.

I will be releasing new wallpapers in a short while, for those of you who liked the LOVE flavours...

Cheers

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2004, 07:44 PM

Bomp...

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 02:56 AM

Any news?

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 03:09 AM

This looks like the type of theme Mac15 might pick up. A pm to him could get the ball rolling if someone wants to take the initiative.

edit:: Just sent him a PM, but his mailbox is full.
( Last edited by RedStar; Oct 30, 2004 at 03:16 AM. )

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 04:16 AM

Boomp.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 04:36 AM

i like everything but the orange drop down menu, you went in the wrong direction with the color, go dark, not light....i may be willing to help you out but im not even sure I will finish it either cause its so time consuming, its not hard at all just a ton of work once opening up themepark...i wish it would go faster as i am working on like 12 themes myself right now. the way im doing it though is hit a few resources here and there and eventually hopefully it will get done... ive been working on one at a time for years now its just overwehealming all the different files you have to change.. hit me up email style though if you like.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 04:20 PM

Sorry, but I gotta bump this one... again...

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
i like everything but the orange drop down menu, you went in the wrong direction with the color, go dark, not light....i may be willing to help you out but im not even sure I will finish it either cause its so time consuming, its not hard at all just a ton of work once opening up themepark...i wish it would go faster as i am working on like 12 themes myself right now. the way im doing it though is hit a few resources here and there and eventually hopefully it will get done... ive been working on one at a time for years now its just overwehealming all the different files you have to change.. hit me up email style though if you like.
good ideas

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
good ideas
stop quoting yourself

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
stop quoting yourself
oh yea i sent that orange mod of soapsky, hopefully it will be avalable soon, whoever i sent it to said they were going to announce it like this year sometime.

renn  (op)
Jan 3, 2005, 10:50 AM

i think i'll put this up for open source, BUT IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED WE COULD DO A COLLABOATION! mail me if you think you're able to cooperate on this one.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the post renn... I hope someone decides to help...

TheGUiTom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 11:34 AM

Any news?

Forum Links
Forum Rules