Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > processor performance?

processor performance?
mrurmil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

Is there anything wrong with leaving Energy Settings > Options > Processor Performance on the "highest" setting all the time instead of automatic?
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
256MB VRAM

jamito
Mar 26, 2005, 10:57 PM

I don't believe so, but I know if I do, my GPU makes a high pitched sound that gets very annoying, so I tend to leave it on automatic until there is some fix.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

ibook_steve
Mar 27, 2005, 12:19 AM

No, no problem at all. Why would you have the option to do so if it wasn't safe? The fan may come on more often, especially if you do something CPU intensive, but otherwise everything should be fine.

Steve

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 09:05 AM

No problem. The only consequence is that you will hear the fan more often and when using the battery, you'll need to charge your PowerBook more often.

joshnyberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 12:46 AM

The processor setting is strictly energy-related. If you are running on a battery and just web browsing, I would set it to 'lowest,' and dim the screen a little, if you are looking for extended life.
Powerbook Repair Shop: G4 parts and repairs at very reasonable prices.

www.powerbookrepairshop.com

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2005, 01:34 AM

Actually I recommend doing this- so long as your PB is plugged in. The performance with this setting on "highest" is better than if you put it on "automatic". The OS is just a little bit more snappy when you have it on highest.

Yes you do get that funny noise though. I have no idea what it is- a loose inductor or something? It's kinda annoying...

I have my PB on highest and when it is on battery power I have it set to lowest. That way I get the max battery life.

ruahrc

Forum Links
Forum Rules