Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > awesome machine

awesome machine
i like macs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 10:08 AM

does anyone think they're imac is as much of an awesome machine as i do.....i love this thing so much

Wetsponge
Mar 6, 2001, 10:17 AM

every now and then a post like this just makes me smile, it's very cool. These boards have a tendancy to be very negative, forums for people to vent their frustration at apple, steve, microsoft, bill, they're aunt beru, it's so nice to see a great post like this. I would like everyone to take a moment and think how nice their macintosh is, thanks.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by i like macs:
does anyone think they're imac is as much of an awesome machine as i do.....i love this thing so much
I DO!!! Indigo iMac DV 400... very versatile machine...
dave

holiday
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2001, 10:51 AM

The iMac is simple to use, reliable, and aesthetically pleasing. It is a great machine.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by holiday:
The iMac is simple to use, reliable, and aesthetically pleasing. It is a great machine.
not to mention how few plugs are needed (no monitor cables, no ethernet or phone cables - if using airport). Truly an internet machine with how quick you can get your machine on the internet...

as2
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 01:32 PM

I love my iMac DV Lime too.

I have it running as a server 24/7, and the only thing that ever crashes it is IE.

I have a pretty cool setup too (well, good for a student with no money!).

SoundSticks (not as bad as everyone keeps making out)
Firewire CDRW
USB Scanner and Printer
Permanent Internet Connection (via University network)

I don't know what I would do without it!

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 03:10 PM

all my peecee user friends laughed at me when i got my imac rev b so long ago... the "totally un-upgradeable bubble computer" the called it, and i do not regret getting it for a second. It has porven to be a relyable machine, and if i do get a new iforce upgrade, it will continue to be a usable computer for quite some time...

------------------
-rok

There's someone in my head but its not me...

quitbanningme68
Banned
Mar 7, 2001, 03:08 PM

I like mine a lot. At the moment, the only thing I'd consider trading it for would be a tiBook. Even if someone offered me a fully loaded G4 tower, I think I'd keep good ol frankeniMac instead.

-Ca$h

no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2001, 10:15 PM

My iMac DVSE 400MHz (Graphite) has been my favorite purchase of all-time. My first computer was a IIc back in the day. Then a 486 piece of crap. Then a Gateway...ugh what a mistake that was. I finally went back to Apple and now I couldn't be happier! My iMac is absolutely trouble free and does ALL that I ask of it. This is how computing should be!

nick

[This message has been edited by no use for a nick (edited 03-07-2001).]
--
nick

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2001, 11:32 PM

I finally got my first computer in April of 2000. I purchased a Lime iMac DV 400.
I absolutely love this machine. It has been nothing but good to me. Recently,
I purchased Apple Care. I don't have any hardware problems so far, but I
wanted to ensure that if I did I would have something to help with repairs.

Yesterday evening I was using a computer in a public lab, which happens to be
full of iMacs, and I heard someone say something bad about iMacs. I hate it when
people put down Apple because they have some of the most innovative software
and hardware out on the market right now. It's kinda funny because an associate
of mine really likes the dual processor G4 towers, but he says he'd never buy one.
He about fell over laughing when I told him I was going to purchase an old Mac SE/30
(these were also excellent machines, by the way).

The bottom line is that Apple is doing a good job in the creation and marketing of good
hardware.

I'm very satisfied with my my Mac and would recommend purchasing one to anyone who
is looking for an affordable, durable, and easy-to-use computer.

Beetleboy

------------------
Martell Jackson
Lime iMac DV 400/192/10/9.04

[This message has been edited by beetleboy (edited 03-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by beetleboy (edited 03-07-2001).]
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 01:00 AM

I bought a Rev A about a month after the iMacs were released to the world. It's a terrific machine. I don't use it any more because I won a G4 tower, but my son got the iMac, and both he and I think he's one lucky boy
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2001, 01:54 AM

Yup Yup I have an Indigo iMac DV too and Its amazing about the endless possibilities. The great thing about it is that it looks great and not ugly like those cheapo PeeCees. I dont know where I would be without it. I dont even watch TV anymore because im so hooked to my iMac! It is my MP3 Player, CD Player, Emailer, Instant Messager, CD Maker, Digital Photo Editor, Web Site Creator, and My Window To The World etc etc etc

------------------
Indigo iMac DV 400/128/10/9.1/DSL/
One Heck Of A Computer!

mephastopholes
Mar 8, 2001, 04:37 AM

...i originally purchased my 400mhz dv two and half years ago as my first computer after a lab tech at school recommended buying one... i have to admit that this thing still manages to amaze me w/ its capabilities day in and day out...
in comparison to the hp pavillion that i use at work, my mac runs applications, most notably adobe apps, at an amazingly faster rate (ever had to run photoshop or illustrator on an old pentium--UGH!!!...and vpc actually runs faster on my mac, sadly enough)
...over the last two years i couldn't help but add loads and loads of software (for both work and play, mind you) and hardware onto this machine; exteral drives, scanner, pda, cable connection, and then some... and it not only easily accomplishes everthing i ask it to, but it looks damn good doing it too...
notably, any problems or hang ups that i've had have been minimal and were easy to diagnose and repair on my own or w/ a little help...
and in terms of value, i can honestly say my imac is probably the wisest investment i've made yet....

...btw... could've sworn that i read somewhere a loooong time ago that some mac products were considered either a weapon, or were illegal in certain countries bcuz of their capabilities... anyone else heard this before??? or is that just the red wine talking...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2001, 05:40 AM

I like all the small details, like that you have your plug-ins to our head-phones in the front of the computer. Anything else is easely axcesable at our right side. The imac is so easy to move around, to be a desktop computer, and most important of all, it's reliable. It's all in one, and this is how a computer should look like. (Thought the Cube looks pretty nice to.. ) I am pretty saticfied with my iMac DV+, wich also is my first mac ever.. Would be hard to go back to wintels again. Some of my best friend have become very intrested into macs after I bought mine. And that's pretty nice, especialy since I live in a wintel-only-community.

------------------
---------
sniffer

Sniffer gone old-school sig

posthumanus
Senior User
Mar 8, 2001, 08:17 AM

mine just hums along like a turbocharged ferrari.

(even though it's got a VW engine).

ps: anyone got good links to physical ram pages? please drop them here.

posthumanus over.

[This message has been edited by posthumanus (edited 03-08-2001).]

joe
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 10:16 AM

I just saw a new 600MHz Flower Power on display at a Mac store last night. Nice how Apple supplied a Flower Power desktop that matches perfectly (and I mean EXACTLY) with the case. Groovy man, far out I was only able to try it out for a few minutes, but it did an excellent job running Cro Mag Rally at 1024*768 in 32bit (millions). IMHO, that was one seriously kick ass awesome machine!!! I wonder if they'll let me install Quake3 demo on it and give it a run for the money... ummmm 16MB Rage 128 Ultra mmmmm (Homer Simpson drool). I hope they get a dalmation soon...joe

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2001, 11:32 AM

OK--gotta chime in here:

I LOVE my Indigo iMac DV (summer 2000). The only thing I didn't really like about it was the Pro keyboard, which I recently replaced with a MacAlly iMediaKey.

It has personality plus, powers quickly through everything it does, and looks FABULOUS doing it. (Sounds a lot like its owner!).

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Mar 8, 2001, 03:56 PM

imac grape 266 converted me from windows

I then purchased a blueberry 350 for my mother

now I have a snow 500 and an ibook 300...

I love them ,
once you go mac ,
you'll never go back

I can't wait for macworld, my girlfriend needs a comp.....
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Mar 8, 2001, 06:01 PM

i adore all my macs, and my iMac is one of my favorite. its a dvse 400 loaded with 384 ram and a whole bunch of peripherals... she does everything i want, from rune to photoshop. and with the 20" HP monitor hooked up to her, shes great as my dvd theatre. and damn shes sexi ^_^

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by sine -''-..-:
i adore all my macs, and my iMac is one of my favorite. its a dvse 400 loaded with 384 ram and a whole bunch of peripherals... she does everything i want, from rune to photoshop. and with the 20" HP monitor hooked up to her, shes great as my dvd theatre. and damn shes sexi ^_^

s i n e
-''-..-
LoL! Man, you really love your imac! Nice! But.. don't forget it's only a computer.. not the real thing!

------------------
---------
sniffer

Gorilla in the Shell
Mar 9, 2001, 01:19 AM

Alright, not to break up the mood but i have some questions....

1. Is getting "My TV TUner" a good purchase? Ill be moving soon and i dont think ill have the television in my room anymore.

2. Could i also hook up video game consoles to the "My tv Tuner"
and play them on my iMac instead? Yeah i know about emulators but i have a PS2, PS, N64, dreamcast, Nintendo, and SNES and i dont wanna let them go to waste.

thanks

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2001, 01:54 AM

I 'returned' to the Mac world when I bought my 350MHz slot loader (bottom of the line) I won't go back to the Wintel world. In fact, I love it so much, I am going to buy one of the new 600MHz iMacs; yeah, the G4's are fast, too, and the TiBook is incredibly sexy (but I'll wait for Rev 2, thanks). I had forgotten just how d*mned GREAT the 'user experience' is with a Mac, especially versus a Wintel machine.
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

inkfinger
Mar 9, 2001, 03:15 AM

Got my DVse 400 last october at a bargain price (About the same as the current basic imac) after 3+ years as a wintel user & many years of using other types of machine (Amiga, Atari etc)

The wintel machine gave me a year's worth of trouble until I figured out what was what & finally got the thing whipped into shape, wheras the iMac has been a breeze to use from day one!

It's not only the bast bargain I've ever had, but it's the best computer I've ever had, by far.

My only regret is i didn't get one sooner!

Inkfinger

alanlees
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2001, 08:14 PM

I have been using an imac at home for a year, and I have been using windows os pcs at work for about 7 years - I'm not a "techie" (like so many of the mac community seem to be) but I'm struck by the elegance and simplicity of the mac os - I now get really confused at work and curse my pc! give me os9 anyday - as to osx - this seemed like a wierd hybrid of both systems (I loaded the beta) and I'm a bit concerned about that.

I was on an "office" training course recently and the trainer said "you do eveything in a mac -like way" - I was berated and yet pleased -after the training I could gp home and do stuff the mac way!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2001, 12:12 PM

I'm a techie that was getting sick of being a techie. I wanted a home computer that didn't have anything corporate and boxy about it. When I sold the 3 month old IBM (dumb purchase hehe) and got the 99' DV SE, I discovered something. I'm more creative with technology designed with people in mind.

When I first turned on the iMac, it said welcome and thank you...WHAT?!?! No OEM registration numbers? No hardware auto-detection screens, no rebooting, just put the DVD in and glaze? Whoah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (insert your favorite cupid arrow scene here)

In love with Apple technology ever since.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2001, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
I'm a techie that was getting sick of being a techie. I wanted a home computer that didn't have anything corporate and boxy about it. When I sold the 3 month old IBM (dumb purchase hehe) and got the 99' DV SE, I discovered something. I'm more creative with technology designed with people in mind.
Funny, but that was my first thoughts to.. In start, I thought it was boring with nothing to fix or upgrade, but now I am used to it, and it feels great. Before I served the computer, but now the computer serves me. The macs are more close to what computers was ment to be, a tool, like the TV. No blue screen around here, if you know what I mean?!

------------------
---------
sniffer

inkfinger
Mar 13, 2001, 03:41 PM

Before I served the computer, but now the computer serves me. The macs are more close to what computers was ment to be, a tool, like the TV. No blue screen around here, if you know what I mean?!

Couldn't have put it better myself & I know what you mean all to well!
I lost count of how often I saw the dreaded blue screen on the PC!

Inkfinger.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2001, 03:48 AM

DO NOT spam the boards with the stuff.

gfxgeek
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2001, 03:08 PM

I purchased my wife's 500mhz dvse (Graphite) last October. It's been such a pleasure and beauty in our household that I am getting one of the 600mhz one's for myself (Even if new iMac's are rumored) I just love the form factor that much

------------------
------------------
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts
Study Hard
Be Evil
------------------
PowerMac G4 450mhz 256mb RAM 2/26gb HD RagePro128 Internal Zip OS X.1
iMacDVSE Graphite 500mhz 256mb RAM 30gb HD OS X.1
Macintosh SE 1mb RAM 2/800k FD OS 6.0.3
Macintosh Quadra 610 25mhz 4mb RAM 230mb HD OS 7.1
Macintosh Quadra 605 25mhz 4mb RAM 80mb HD OS 7.1

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2001, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
DO NOT spam the boards with the stuff.

I deleted Readneck's indy music spam.

Wish people wouldn't do that...it's kinda desperate and he'd likely get a lot bigger response on a music forum.

--lee

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2001, 05:33 PM

my Rev B kicks butt......i can't wait to get my game wizard back.....
what was the verdict with OS X? will it work?

------------------
"Yes, yes, i know the proceedure for armed robbery, i do work in a convience store you know."
~APU~
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 07:59 AM

I think the iMac DV SE I own is perfection of the design. It really is. The machine is 18 months old, yet still feels brand new. It still feels fast, it still looks great. It takes up hardly any room. And by the end of this week it'll be wearing Mac OS X.

The only machine I'd consider trading it for would be a Dual 533 G4 with a flat-panel display, but the sound system wouldn't be as good.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2001, 12:02 PM

yeah, my Ruby iMac DV is OK, but I REALLY wish I had gotten something with an upgradeable graphics card, like any serious gamer should.

------------------
[This message has been edited by Gil Amelio (edited 07-09-1997).]
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by lothar56:
yeah, my Ruby iMac DV is OK, but I REALLY wish I had gotten something with an upgradeable graphics card, like any serious gamer should.
Agree, but it might also be software issue.. I have seen tests on the net with carboniced beta Quake 3 in OS X on a Radeon card with beta driver with extreme fps boost over Quake 3 running with Mac OS 9 (about 2 x faster I think) .. There is a slick chance for surprizingly boosts in gameplay on macs in near future. Just think about it, macs with close comparable techs against PCs, have a lame fps in games, but are still on the same level within most apps.. Many people belives that the current OS (9) and drivers are the biggest bottleneck right now, not the hardware. I think things looks very bright right now.. But soon we will know for sure..

------------------
---------
sniffer

revolcam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 09:03 PM

long live the iMac !!! it's the perfict design. i saw the flower power & dalmation iMacs the other day' they just made me laugh out loud & i walked away with a smile on my face. their's got to be something right about a computer that can do that for you ! i just hope they keep the development thing going on the inside.

Titania's Oberon
Mar 23, 2001, 02:01 AM

What's really awesome about the iMac is that it even gets people enthused about Mac computing whose grammar limps along like:

i like macs :
"does anyone think they're imac..." ***they're(?)***

revolcam :
"their's got to be something right about ..." ***their's(?)***

Most excellent! A return to Shakespeare's days - when spelling was optional.

[email protected]
Mar 25, 2001, 01:10 AM

400 MHz iMac DV SE...384 Megs of Ram...60 Gig IBM 75GXP hard drive...12X10X32 Que! Firewire CD/RW...Monsoon MM-1000 speakers...UC Berkeley network...Mac OS X on the way...ahh, Life is good here...

Gaijin
Mar 25, 2001, 11:53 PM

333mhz blueberry...my first ever Mac...and the only computers I will ever buy...no PC's for me...ever! And this summer, I will be picking up a G4 TiBook.

------------------
Stand tall and shake the heavens!
Stand tall and shake the heavens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules