Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook and OSX?

New iBook and OSX?
fobside
Mac Elite
May 1, 2001, 10:14 PM

does anyone know how the G3 processors handle OSX? my friends debating on the new PowerBook or the new iBook now but the screen and OSX would be the deciding factors...anyone know?

------------------

Don't worry. I know him personally and I'm not serious...or am I? JERK!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2001, 10:20 PM

G3 sucks compared to the G4. But, RAM is important too, and X really isn't ready for prime time yet. If price isn't an issue I would get the TiBook hands down. Wait for MWNY and see what the improvements are going be. At lease apple should bunp all of their products to 128 RAM for X, since they should be pre-loading it then.

Wait and see...

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tie
Professional Poster
May 1, 2001, 10:47 PM

I doubt that it will be able to handle OS X. There's a reason Apple is offering the base model with only 64 MB RAM. They don't even want you to think that it might be possible to run OS X on these things.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 1, 2001, 10:55 PM

If my 233 Mhz G3 BEIGE can handle OS X( using it now until my pretty new iBook comes in 5 weeks)..then obviously the iBooks can handle it.

Don't forget...OS X was BUILT for iMacs with G3 processors.

------------------
"And after Adam and Eve ate the Apple, God punished Bill Gates by making him look like a turtle."

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2001, 11:46 PM

so is that a yes or a no? WinsOBoogi gave me personal experience. anyone else know based on personal experience?

dws
Forum Regular
May 1, 2001, 11:59 PM

G3 sucks! G4s RULE!

I am so tired of hearing that crap. Saying that OS X doesn't work on any G3 and couldn't possibly work on the new iBook is about as massively misinformed as your SAT score is small (or something else we don't need to talk about)!

The 400Mhz G3 in my slot-loading iMac DV more than handles OS X. In fact, considering that all you rich people with dual processor G4s have had quite a few problems with OS X, and I have had not one kernal panic or major problem since March 24th... Perhaps OS X works better on a modern G3 than it does on a G4!!!

The new iBook will handle OS X just fine; though you'll have to give all of them more memory!

Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2001, 12:09 AM

The new iBook will handle OS X just fine; though you'll have to give all of them more memory!
Agreed. My experience has been that OS X is more sensitive to RAM than processor speed. 128 megs really is the absolute minimum; my Wallstreet got a huge speedup when I upgraded the RAM to 320 megs, and is perfectly usable even with no graphics acceleration, which the iBooks will have.

mkd
May 2, 2001, 12:44 AM

YEAH 3.1416!!! Pi RULES!!! I have memorized 46 digets of Pi!!! I don't know why, but I have... I have also crunched over 1 billion digets on my iBook SE 466. (16,890/sec) Kick ass! Email me!!!

-Morgan Davis
[email protected]
--
Windows:
A 32 bit graphical interface for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system internally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that cannot stand 1 bit of competition.
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2001, 07:28 AM

OS X and CPU speed FACTS

I have loaded OS X along with all of the latest updates on a G3-300 (O/C to 400) along with an iBookSE (466).

The iBookSE is maxed out at 320 MB and performs adequately - or at least usable. some classic apps run just as fast as OS 9.1.

The G3-300/400 (only 512k Cache) has 512 MB of RAM and it out performs most tasks compared to the iBookSE.

Therefore I tend to agree with a couple of the comments that OS X is indeed more sensitive to RAM than processor speed.

------------------
Mac's Rule!
CyberGreg's Place
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2001, 12:47 PM

My iMac DV runs it just fine, but I have 256mb of RAM. And there really is not difference in G3 and G4 for the core OSX. I think it was not really designed for the g4. But the programs can tell you something else. I have a cube at home. iMac at work.

I am thinking of buying a iBook. If I can find out the wait. 5 Weeks?

------------------
Ride the big one.
Jonathan

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2001, 01:11 PM

But what about the BUS speed? What difference will it give?

paterss
Forum Regular
May 2, 2001, 02:06 PM

Lower bus speed = longer battery life.

I wonder how many Sony VAIO's have 66MHz and how many have 100 MHz ??

I never looked closely enough - its not a Mac.

------------------
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2001, 02:12 PM

G3 is fine, Ram 256MB+ or don't OS X yet.

Bus speed will not make a difference to many users, as you cannot type faster than the machine can take it in, and Internet connections won't either. If you do intensive work with memory/processor (intense games, medium to high multimedia) it will affect you. Oddly, if you do large database searches or have huge, complex spreadsheets, the new iBook should actually be faster as it uses 5400RPM drives rather than 4200RPM. As most users wait for disk more than bus, the new iBooks will seem faster than if they had gone to a 100mhz bus and kept the 4200RPM drives!

TCLNJ
May 2, 2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by mkd:
YEAH 3.1416!!! Pi RULES!!! I have memorized 46 digets of Pi!!!
Hmmm... memorized pi out to 45 decimal places (I assume that's what you mean, anyway), but not which five letters are in the word "digits" (and, yes, I do mean five... "i" appears twice).

piratebiker
May 2, 2001, 02:22 PM

the bus speed myth is just about as bad as the MHz myth. is it faster? maybe so. depends on what you're doing. but, what really is the bus? processor to main memory. doesn't affect graphics, since with AGP that's a separate bus. PCI is a separate bus (running at 33 mhz. heh). bus speed comparisons are a joke if you don't take into account EVERY single aspect of a system.

TCLNJ
May 2, 2001, 02:24 PM

Agreed. I run OS X on a G4/450 with 512MB in the office and an iMac DV 400 with 256MB at home... for general tasks there is no significant difference in performance "feel" between the machines, though the G4 rips CDs to MP3 at close to twice the rate of the iMac. Along with the recommendation of significant memory upgrades, I would suggest you ensure that all RAM you install is CL2, or 2-2-2, speed... it does make a noticeable difference.

Originally posted by Xaositect:
G3 is fine, Ram 256MB+ or don't OS X yet.

Bus speed will not make a difference to many users, as you cannot type faster than the machine can take it in, and Internet connections won't either. If you do intensive work with memory/processor (intense games, medium to high multimedia) it will affect you. Oddly, if you do large database searches or have huge, complex spreadsheets, the new iBook should actually be faster as it uses 5400RPM drives rather than 4200RPM. As most users wait for disk more than bus, the new iBooks will seem faster than if they had gone to a 100mhz bus and kept the 4200RPM drives!

Paladin
May 2, 2001, 03:11 PM

I'm using OS X on my G3/400/192 right now, and while it does feel a bit slower than either Linux or 9.1, it doesn't feel that slow.

Using WinME on my fiancee's (new) laptop, now THAT is slow.

-Paladin

no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by paterss:
Lower bus speed = longer battery life.

I wonder how many Sony VAIO's have 66MHz and how many have 100 MHz ??

According to Sony's specs, the VAIO's all have 100MHz System Bus speeds. However, they only quote 3-4.5 hours of battery life for the standard battery. (You can bet it's a lot closer to 3 than 4.5, cause that's how it is for most pc laptops.)

nick
--
nick

sebuchen
Forum Regular
May 2, 2001, 03:46 PM

Apple evidently thinks it's going to run well with OS X. Right on the iBooks main page it says "OS X ready". Of course, in slightly smaller print it says "128 MB RAM Required". Gee, who would 'a thunk it?

anonymous
May 2, 2001, 04:13 PM

Speaking of battery life, the new iBook appears to have only a 42 Watt/Hour battery, compared to its previous incarnation's 45 Watt/Hour battery. Probably had to do that to fit it in the smaller enclosure...

jwb
May 2, 2001, 04:23 PM

Haha, I had a VAIO Z505-HS that Sony quoted 3-hour battery life on, and the battery life in actual use was very nearly 45 minutes. Using the CD-ROM of the fixed disk heavily would drag that down to 30 minutes, +/-. They sold a larger battery for $500 (!) that might have had better life, but also was physically bigger and weighed more. Finally, the VAIO couldn't swap batteries while asleep, although it could during hibernation. I'm not making this up. I now have a TiBook and I only charge it at night while I'm asleep. Nice. The only thing that irks me is that MacOS 9 takes about 6 seconds to wake from sleep. No big deal to me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules