Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vexations

Vexations
Trixalia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 01:32 PM

Got any...things that just get under your skin?

An editor just came in to give me a chapter of manuscript and she wanted to review it with me. As she began to flip through these 8.5 x 11 pages she licked her fingertip before turning each one..."How gross," I thought as she made her way through the end of the stack. Has she no couth?????????

cheerios
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2001, 01:46 PM

Aaahhh... someplace to announce my roommate's many obnoxious flaws... She is, by the way, a bad roomate. She cannot understand the concept of turning OFF the music when she leaves, so I end up listening to Yanni and techno way too much for my liking, esp since all I wanted was a little Led Zepplin, and maybe some Doors... she uses AOL, with the volume all the way up, so the whole hall knows when she gets e-mail, and speaking of aol, she uses her family's account, and thus blocks her family from using it, so I end up turning it off when her father calls from across the country to ask if she's fallen asleep with the internet on again... And don't even get me started on the mess... 5 packages in a week, and I mean big ones, no box less than 2 feet long on any one side, and NONE of the boxes were removed from the floor for over a week! Laundry everywhere, and she has enough clothing to drown in... random underwear everywhere, oye! There's something that's just wrong about your roommate's black thong sitting in the middle of the floor... At one point, I had to dig a tunnel to my computer... well, ok, not THAT bad... but nearly! I could go on, but I think i have whined enough, today. I feel better, thanks Trix!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2001, 01:47 PM

Buy her one of those little "finger condoms" that are used for working with paper.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 01:48 PM

Alright. I'm in. Got this "co worker". I use the "worker" part of the phrase merely as a formality.
Anyway, this guy, we will call him "Jiminy", is somewhat lacking in manners when it comes to his frequent colds.
So, there we were, in the image room (the place where we image cpus for use around the lab). It was my week to be in there. I was imaging a slew of Macs (and I'll add, re-re-re-re-reteaching this clever, clever boy how to do it... like it is rocket science, "OK. One finger operation. Power. Eject. "C" Key. CD in the Tray. Follow the onscreen instructions". This to a guy who took a $4000 week long Mac course, but I'll not get started on that.). As I said, it was my week to be in there- we rotate through 5 guys. Shared deskspace. So, I was getting a machine when Jiminy comes in, plops his ass at the desk and, sniffling, snorting and sputtering, begins plonking on the keyboard. SNEEZE!!!... yep. ON the keyboard. ON it.
Jim.
Yeah.
Get up.
Huh?
Get up.
He gets up. I shut down the win2k box from the cpu.
Jim.
Yeah?
Disconnect the keyboard.
Huh?
Please, Jim.
Jim Disconnects the keyboard. I hold up the trash can.
Put it in.
Huh?
Put it in. If you say "huh?" again, I will lodge the keyboard in your colon.
Jim puts the keyboard in the trash.
I get another keyboard. Hook up. Power on.
Jim.
Yeah?
Did we learn anything here today?
Like what?
*sigh*
Couth. I'd use the word with him, but I know it would be lost.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Trixalia:
<STRONG>Got any...things that just get under your skin?

An editor just came in to give me a chapter of manuscript and she wanted to review it with me. As she began to flip through these 8.5 x 11 pages she licked her fingertip before turning each one..."How gross," I thought as she made her way through the end of the stack. Has she no couth????????? </STRONG>
That would bug me too.

Other things that really bug me:
  • Loud mouth sounds while chewing
  • Clients who make so many changes that eventually you end up with the same as the original proof
  • People who talk in movies

I'm sure I could list a bunch more... I probably will later.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 01:54 PM

Double post.... I swear it's the first time ever. LOL

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: davesimondotcom ]
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:

Jim Disconnects the keyboard. I hold up the trash can.
Put it in.
Huh?
Put it in. If you say "huh?" again, I will lodge the keyboard in your colon.
:::weeps with laughter:::

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Oct 17, 2001, 08:06 PM

Oh Man tell me about it. There's a new woman (she's about 23-ish, younger than myself) at work in my department who just started about 2 months ago or so.

This woman is constantly blowing her nose loudly like a friggin trumpet!!!!! I'm not the explosive type, in fact I'm very patient (to a degree) but as a computer artist it's just damned annoying. I'm trying to focus on my work dammit!!! Still I remain tolerant of it. But one of these days I'm going to ask her if she has serious allergies or something. Or if I don't see her come in but hear her nose blowing routing I'm going to announce loudly "J***'s here everyone!!"

Now get this......when she's on her lunch break, no nose blowing at all Only when she's working. It's almost as-if it's deliberate.

My boss has this "I'm very busy" walk (she walks stamping her feet quickly and loudly behind everyone). That's another real annoying thing. Nevermind that she marinates in whatever perfume she wears

Another thing that's always bugged me is people that smack thier lips when they eat.

But then again I'm not what you'd call a "people person" Lot's of sh_t annoys me, but I'm very tolerant (to a reasonable degree).

Often times I wonder if I'm "too tolerant". I mean at what point is it "okay" to just say "would you please f___ing stop that? It's damned annoying!!!"

Mike

FERRO
Senior User
Oct 18, 2001, 05:41 AM

sounds like she is allergic to something near her work area...

just get her some "Allerest" and set it at her work area with a note... not a sinister note.

Something like - YOU ARE DRIVING ME INSANE!

she might get it.

� FERRO 2001-2002

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2001, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Trixalia:
<STRONG>Got any...things that just get under your skin?

An editor just came in to give me a chapter of manuscript and she wanted to review it with me. As she began to flip through these 8.5 x 11 pages she licked her fingertip before turning each one..."How gross," I thought as she made her way through the end of the stack. Has she no couth????????? </STRONG>
have her watch the movie of umberto eco's "in the name of the rose". when she gets to the part where we see that the blind monk killed the others by poisoning the pages of the book, rewind it and play it back ten or twelve times. she'll get the point then.

-r.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>

have her watch the movie of umberto eco's "in the name of the rose". when she gets to the part where we see that the blind monk killed the others by poisoning the pages of the book, rewind it and play it back ten or twelve times. she'll get the point then.

-r.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]</STRONG>

Of course, I swear "Jiminy" wouldn't get it.
Has anyone else noticed that the main theme seems to be lack of control of mucous related fluids?

Here's a new one:
I drive home every day down a pretty busy road. Just outside on Concord, there's a rotary. Archaic form of traffic control, I know, but they are everywhere in this state. So. Going 'round the rotary, minding my business (and everyone elses- rotaries are dangerous) and then get off, continuing on my merry way.
This guy pulls along side of me honking, screaming, gesticulating wildly.
I shrug my shoulders and twist my face in the international sign for "what the hell crawled up yer ass?"
More wild gesticulations, hollaring.
I go into ignore mode.
So, the guy drops behind me (not before veering his car very close to mine... whatever. didn't flinch. Would have spit my gum at him, but I was down to my last piece. Smoking control, dontcha know).
So, I traveled about 20 miles to my rest stop for a bit of relief. Got out of the car, and there's this guy. He followed me. 20 miles. Down Rt. 2.
You cut me off!
I'm sorry, when would that have been.
At the rotary, a$$hole!
More specific. I don't recall even remotely coming close to anyone on the rotary.
I wasn't ON the rotary, I was getting on and I had to stop or you would've hit me, a$$hole!
Oh. I see. You had not yet entered the rotary.
Yeah, a$$hole.
You were on the ramp.
Yeah, fuc*head!
Where the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts say that you are to yeild to me, the guy ON the rotary.
*pause*
OK, buddy, let's sum this up. You chased me for 20 miles to tell me that I obeyed the rules of the road and you did not. Huh. 20 miles. Feel pathetic yet? Tell ya what. I'm going to go pee, but before I do, I'm gonna make a mental note of your plate number. If there is ANYTHING wrong with my car when I return, well, there will be a cop knocking on your door tonight. Get over your silly self and go home and tell someone else how evil I am.

So, I went to pee (not before asking the nice lady manning the rest stop to keep an eye on the joker standing near my car). When I came out, he was gone. So, back on the highway, looking forward to telling this story to my wife, irritated that there is yet another pledge break on NPR. What do I see on the other side of the highway? The guy, travelling back in the opoopsite direction. So, I am concluding that this guy actually blew off his own exit to chase me? Geez.
Vexation is obvious, no need to sum it up.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Forum Links
Forum Rules