Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Online password strategy

Online password strategy
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:20 PM

Ok, so I do a lot of online shopping, and therefore, have to maintain a lot of accounts with different merchants.

I'm not sure if my current strategy for usernames and passwords is really the best out there, so I'd like to share what I do and get some ideas what could be done better.

As far as user id's / usernames are concerned, I have a catch-all account for my email. Every email sent to *@mydomain.com is delivered. For every merchant, I use an email address and username like this: [email protected]. With this, I always know who passed on my information to spammers and I can blacklist the email address with SpamAssassin.

As far as passwords are concerned, I suppose there are different strategies:
1) Always use the same password - not good for abvious reasons.
2) Use a unique password for each vendor, and keep a list of passwords somewhere secure online, on a PDA or offline - disadvantage: makes it somewhat a hazzle to keep the list up-to-date and retrieve the password fast.
3) Generate a unique password by using the vendors URL.
E.g. use the first and last letter of domain name, first and last letter of TLD in CAPS and add a number of your choise that would always remain the same and separate those with special charaters.
For www.amazon.com, this would become "an-CM.777".
This way, you only need to remember your password strategy, and apply it to the domain name.

What do you guys think about option 3) ?
Any better ideas ?

-t

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005, 01:33 PM

You could randomly generate your passwords and use Keychain to store them. (I'm currently transitioning to this strategy.)

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
You could randomly generate your passwords and use Keychain to store them. (I'm currently transitioning to this strategy.)
Yes, but doesn't work when you don't have access to your computer.
Plus, it's far to cumbersome to open up keychain everytime.

I'm more looking for computer independant solutions.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:38 PM

I read that there was a solution to this. Umm....check grc.com. I think Steve Gibson has a solution for it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:40 PM

Checked it. https://www.grc.com/passwords

How is that of any help and relevance to what I have described above ?

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:46 PM

Maybe it was his podcast where he mentioned it. He and/or Leo have a strategy for online sites, based on the URL, similar to what you described.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Maybe it was his podcast where he mentioned it. He and/or Leo have a strategy for online sites, based on the URL, similar to what you described.
Ah, ok. I'll try to find something with Google.

-t

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 02:42 PM

I basically have one password that I cut up depending on the site. For really important stuff I used the full size one (25 characters), for forums it's usually the middle or small size if it's nothing important.

The using the URL seems like a nifty idea though.

Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 03:38 PM

You have some good ideas. I basically have a secret password for most places, and a super secret password for anything that involves my bank account.

andi*pandi
Dec 16, 2005, 04:02 PM

nm.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Dec 16, 2005, 10:55 PM

I have the same password from like 8 years ago for stuff that doesn't matter.

I have one password for accounts on other computers that matter (school, lab, etc.)

And for everything else that matters (bank, credit card, personal computer), I randomly generate a password.

I keep it all stored on a file on my computer that's AES encrypted with a key I keep written down.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 11:58 PM

Side note I did install Vault to keep track of usernames and passwords and it has helped quite bit. I like the username idea, though I suppose if it is common, like comcast.net- it might be taken...

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 12:13 AM

Have a common password, and only change the last few letters ie. *****amazon or *****ebay or *****macnn that works just fine.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 12:28 AM

All my passwords are variations on one theme. I add random numbers into the words just to mix things up.

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2005, 01:14 AM

heh. seems like y'all have much better "systems" than me. i just do my best to remember the password hint and make new ones almost every time on those sites i visit infrequently.

i'm not sure if it's so much a problem with remembering or a lack of concern about forgetting. :-/

be well.

laeth

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by rambo47
All my passwords are variations on one theme. I add random numbers into the words just to mix things up.
Randomness is next to Godliness.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2005, 10:42 AM

My only concern with using keychain is that if it loses your data and you don't know the passwords then you will be in for a real hassle.
This signature is obsolete.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 08:18 PM

ive used the same passwords for years for random online crap. i suppose i should keep a closer eye on my email ones (since they possibly contain more important info) but i dont.

any important ones (that are hard to remember or change often (see the dozen or so work passwords)) are kept on my palm pilot in a password protected MDB database. this probably isnt the most secure thing, but who really gives a **** about my stuff that much anyway? noone willl even reply to this post or recognize that i posted in this thread. im a tiny speck in the universe. noone loves me. i am going to die alone and cold in a diner with a cold cup of coffee in front of me waiting for you to show up, but you never do. ill have scribbled on the placemat in front of me "the thing that hurts the most is i bet you dont even miss me"

wait, what?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47
Ditto.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gilpin
My only concern with using keychain is that if it loses your data and you don't know the passwords then you will be in for a real hassle.
Well, the other big concern is portability.
What do you do if you are NOT in front of YOUR computer ?

-t

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
What do you do if you are NOT in front of YOUR computer ?
I never heard those words in that order. What does it mean?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 11:23 AM

Elegant solutions discussed in this thread (thanks, Turt ).

Just redid all my passwords.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Yes, but doesn't work when you don't have access to your computer.
Plus, it's far to cumbersome to open up keychain everytime.

I'm more looking for computer independant solutions.

-t
I hope the "other" computers you're accessing are trusted (like a family members or a good friends) and not the one's at a hotel's business center or a public terminal. There are often way too many of them that have keystroke loggers connected to them. And one passive device can typically keep a minimum of 1 gig of data. That's about 6 months worth.

Otherwise, there's been a good amount of good suggestions already... I always say change them often. Password management is a pain, but security is rarely convenient.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 11:45 AM

Well, I usually am using my own computer, so I don't have to deal with the mobilityy issue. But when I am going on vaccation or else, I have my encrypted disk image on my iPod. Good thing is I can always use a Mac where I go. It's not that versatile, but works in most situations (for me).

btw, I just checked my main password security:

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I never heard those words in that order. What does it mean?
Means: using a different computer than your own.

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by macroy
... at a hotel's business center or a public terminal. There are often way too many of them that have keystroke loggers connected to them. And one passive device can typically keep a minimum of 1 gig of data. That's about 6 months worth.
Is there any software or so that can detect that ? I assume if it's a hardware logger between keyboard and computer, than you are SOL. Hmm, I never thought about that too much, but it's something worth keeping in mind.

Oh, just had a thought: what if you use the on-screen keyboard with a mouse to type in the passwords ? Any hardware logger shouldn't be able to pick that up. But how about SW loggers ? If they only go after keystrokes, than a on-screen keyboard should circumvent it...

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules