Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Assassin's Creed 2 at Steam and Mac App Store

Assassin's Creed 2 at Steam and Mac App Store
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2011, 10:20 PM

Assassin's Creed 2 at Mac App Store.

Bizarrely, AC2 Deluxe Edition sells for $30 at Steam, but the apparently non-deluxe version at the App Store is $38.

The App Store also doesn't inform you anywhere of the unbelievable system requirements: Intel Core® 2 Duo 3.06 GHz (min) or Intel Core® i5 2.66Ghz or better (recommended). Also, 3GBs of RAM. Integrated graphics are NOT supported.

But the Windows requirements are Intel Core® 2 Duo 1.8 GHZ and 1.5GBs of RAM, which tells you this is probably a crappy Wine or Cider port.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2011, 10:03 AM

Just a piece of friendly advice here, but a Mac App Store release thread might be a more efficient way to do all these announcements.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2011, 10:24 AM

I actually started this thread to point out the bizarre pricing and system requirement situation. The system requirements are leading to several complaints about "lag" in the comments sections. Publishing such a high-requirement game without posting those requirements is extremely bad form from Apple. Just about every AAA game in the App Store lists the system requirements, but not the one with extremely high requirements? These customers are getting screwed. If I didn't see the Steam sale about the same game with the requirements, I might still be searching the Ubisoft website trying to find them, since they've decided to hide the Mac system requirements way out of sight. The links from the App Store are useless, and I eventually had to Google to find them at Ubisoft.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2011, 10:26 AM

My mistake. My first instinct about the pricing is it's an attempt to recoup the 30% App Store surcharge.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2011, 07:13 PM

Today, the Mac App Store added system requirements to AS2. But, they are not the same as the ones listed at Steam or in Ubisoft's hard-to-find page on AS2 for Mac.

The App Store says: 1.8 GHz C2D with 2GBs of RAM (min) and 2.3 GHz C2D with 4GBs of RAM (recommended), with a limited list of supported GPUs. This appears to be a copy-paste of the Windows system requirements, not the Mac version. (Click "Read More" and scroll down.)
Here are Ubisoft's PC system requirements for this game.
Here are Ubisoft's Mac system requirements for this game.

Apple has moved from negligence to incompetence here, and their customers are getting ripped off because of it.

Also, the macgamestore.com is selling the same Deluxe edition of AC2 as Steam, for the same $30. App Store users are clearly getting screwed here.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Mar 21, 2011 at 07:27 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules