Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tower 200 - Body by Jake

Tower 200 - Body by Jake
Rumor
Sep 12, 2009, 06:35 AM

So, um, what does everyone think? I have been looking for something that fits within my house, and besides the ab rolling type stuff, this (initially) looks like it may satisfy some of my exercise needs.

For reference, I use a bike as my main transportation which is a minimum of 28 miles a week (nothing too hard core). I also lift kegs daily, which are usually 15.5 gallons.

My nearest gym isn't feasible to actually use. I would be half way to work, and would have to come home before work since there are no showers at any gym between here and there.

I usually chalk the commercial stuff up to being late night ****, but I figured I would ask a large audience (not including Dakar, cause we all know he doesn't exercise).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
So, um, what does everyone think? I have been looking for something that fits within my house, and besides the ab rolling type stuff, this (initially) looks like it may satisfy some of my exercise needs.
You've got to be kidding.

First of all its a bad rip off of the P90X program.
I know that P90X works for some people but it can also be done with free weights. I don't discount resistance bands have a value but just know that even the best ones wear out. Fast. If you use bands regularly they will stretch out in 6 months. I use them from time to time for very specific exercises but I wouldn't base a whole exercise program on them.
That body by jake thing looks like low grade crap. I wouldn't trust my safety on its ability to be secured to any door.

Second of all that final cost is $175.
I would put rather put that money towards a gym membership any day but if you don't want to then get a basic bench and free weights. You get a wider variety of exercises out of them and an overall better range of motion with real weights.
Of course you need to know what your doing. I would draw out your goals and then find a nice weightlifting forum to help you plan out your program. If you aren't familiar with weight training take the time to learn to do the exercises correctly. You don't want to injure yourself or put unwanted strain on joints. A LOT of people screw themselves up by not taking the time to learn proper form.

None of what you do will matter if you don't eat properly. Be it for weight loss or to gain muscle mass you have to adjust your diet to fit your goal. Working out like a mad person will only get you half way.

Lastly, an ab roller? Throw that thing away.
Get a balance ball or better yet a good roman chair.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Sep 12, 2009 at 08:17 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2009, 08:29 AM

I'm suspicious of ALL exercise equipment advertised on TV, and even more so of equipment that's advertised in infomercials. As CO says, you can use free weights to do just about everything these machines can do, and of course more. The ONLY thing any machine does that free weights don't is isolate muscle groups by default-with free weights you have to do that yourself with careful attention to form.

Instead of a machine, like CO I'd suggest getting free weights and setting up a program of what exercises to do each day. Building the routine of exercising is what helps most people make progress and stick with their program, so make yourself do the work.

Finally, again agreeing with Captain Obvious, core work is complex. Concentrating on specific movements, such as with crunches or an ab-roller, is a good way to make your lower back hate you. A ball, on the other hand, works ALL of your core muscles, including the obliques. It's also better for your posture than any "chair" so you get good results for your upper back and neck as well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor  (op)
Sep 12, 2009, 04:22 PM

My biggest issue is space. I don't have the room for a free weight system, which is what I would prefer. I am (not really actively) looking for something I can do at home, and get a decent workout with. The ball that you two mention, is it like a yoga ball?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2009, 04:25 PM

A folding bench and some small racks to hold the weights would probably not take up much room-I've seen very capable systems made up of a solid but really small weight bench and an assortment of free weights (dumbells and plate weights) just stored underneath the bench. Spotting stands don't take up any room to speak of, and you can consider moving things around to make the bench usable as a warm up.

To me, having a bench and weights visible helps to keep the program in mind, and keeps me on it-which is why I need to put my free weights back where I can see 'em and out of the closet.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 12, 2009, 04:37 PM

I also lift kegs daily, which are usually 15.5 gallons.
I have no advice about exercise equipment, but wish to offer my respect. Drinking straight from the keg. Wow. That's ... hard core.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2009, 04:57 PM

My biggest issue is space. I don't have the room for a free weight system, which is what I would prefer. I am (not really actively) looking for something I can do at home, and get a decent workout with.

The ball that you two mention, is it like a yoga ball?

If you are dead set on this then try the P90X program instead with dumbbells rather than this tower thing. You can get a couple of decent quality resistance bands for under $40 and free weight dumbbells can be had for about $25
I would never tell you to pirate the workout DVDs but they are out there.

And yes, a balance ball are those giant beachball things you see in gyms and yoga studios. Those are not too expensive but make sure you get one that says it can handle your body weight. If space is a concern and you feel like spending more money than you would for a balance ball look at a BOSU Ball.

Rumor  (op)
Sep 12, 2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I have no advice about exercise equipment, but wish to offer my respect. Drinking straight from the keg. Wow. That's ... hard core.
That's how I roll.

Rumor  (op)
Sep 12, 2009, 05:43 PM

I'll probably pick up some dumbbells and a ball. I have never taken much stock in the equipment I see on commercials. It was 3am when I saw the commercial and it prompted me to post about it. I should have just posted asking good workouts requiring little room or something similar.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2009, 05:52 PM

I'm happy with a standard weight bench. You can do everything on it and it's cheap.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

kikkoman
Senior User
Sep 13, 2009, 05:58 PM

I use a set of Powerblocks. They are free weights but take up very little space.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2009, 09:45 PM

For a ball, you want a therapy ball or yoga ball, and as noted by Captain Obvious, make sure it's rated for your weight. I regularly sit on a 36" or so ball at work (I'm an occupational therapist), and it helps me model better posture for clients. That better posture comes from having to maintain the body's position against gravity. It's also good for those of us who are a little too active...because you have to actively work at your posture, whether you're conscious of it or not.

Here's one like what I use. It's about $60.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 03:49 AM

okay its been 7 months Rumor.... what sort of gains did you make?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 06:02 PM

The real downfall of those at home workout things, P90x ect; that I’ve seen, is that a lot of people don’t do well without someone to motivate them. At home, most people are more likely to be in the relaxed mindset, rather than do a workout video.

If you’re that type of person; the best bet would to find a gym with personal trainers that offer services that you can afford, and get in there at least 2x a week, three preferably. (For whatever reason, going to the gym 3x a week rather than 2x helps get people into a “okay have to workout” mindset quicker and easier; and have them want to continue longer)

Whatever route you choose, have fun.

kikkoman
Senior User
Apr 14, 2010, 11:04 PM

Zuzana motivates me to workout

Rumor  (op)
Apr 14, 2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
okay its been 7 months Rumor.... what sort of gains did you make?
Never bought it. Just stuck to running, sit ups, push ups, and pull ups.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2010, 07:24 AM

How is the no-equipment plan working for you?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2010, 09:38 AM

P90X FTW. Best thing I ever did for myself as far as workouts go!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 10:24 AM

I've heard of some people having moderate success using P90X and similar at-home programs. I just can't imagine how anyone can really stay motivated and focused enough to give themselves a useful, intense work out at home in front of a TV. To me it just seems like an easy out for most people...it gives them an excuse not to go to the gym because they're completely uneducated and don't know how to work out properly, they're afraid to go to the gym because they think people are going to look at them/judge them/make fun of them, or they're just lazy and they use the "Hey, I do P90X twice a week at home" excuse to justify their laziness. News flash...NO work out is going to give you substantial gains beyond the 2-3 month newb gains if you're only doing it twice a week, unless your diet is spot on.

I think work outs like P90X can work, but it takes a tremendous amount of focus, intensity, and dedication, which I'm guessing about 5% of the people using it truly put fourth. The majority of people half-ass it once or twice a week, mindlessly go through the motions, exert enough effort to just barely push themselves out of their comfort zone, and they keep it up for about a month, two months at most, then it falls by the wayside and all progress is lost. Not to mention most people have complete crap diets this entire time (no, drinking water, eating two salads a day, then starving yourself is NOT a healthy diet).

Sorry to go off, this stuff just annoys the bejesus out of me.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2010, 10:33 AM

Tell you what: go educate yourself about P90X before you continue posting nonsense. You obviously have no clue about the program, and you're making a tool out of yourself.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Tell you what: go educate yourself about P90X before you continue posting nonsense. You obviously have no clue about the program, and you're making a tool out of yourself.
Blah, blah, blah, I've seen the infomercial, I understand the science and thought process behind it, and like I said, IT CAN WORK. The majority of people that buy into it don't follow it with the discipline, intensity, and commitment it takes to make it work. I'm sure if you keep a tight diet, use the workout 3-4 times a week, and push yourself out of your comfort zone the entire time, it could be beneficial.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 15, 2010, 10:41 AM

I don't think he said anything negative about the program itself, just the unmotivated people that try and use it.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

Just curious, what sort of progress have you made with it? I'm not trying to have a cyber tough-guy contest, I'm actually interested in hearing about your success with it.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't think he said anything negative about the program itself, just the unmotivated people that try and use it.

EXACTLY! It's the 250lb fattys that see something like this on TV, buy into it, half ass it, keep their diet the same, continue to drink every weekend, use it once or twice a week for two months then toss it aside because they still don't have a 6 pack - its THAT crap that bothers me. The same idiots that think you can get abs from doing a thousand sit ups a day. Its the crowd that these companys make the majority of their profits from. The "cash cow" if you will.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Rumor  (op)
Apr 15, 2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
How is the no-equipment plan working for you?
Rough for a while. I lacked someone to run with, so I wasn't very motivated. Just found out my neighbor likes to run a few times a week. I need to get new running shoes. After I finish making the attic a livable space, I will have more room for the in home stuff since my current bedroom/office will only be an office/rec area.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Just curious, what sort of progress have you made with it? I'm not trying to have a cyber tough-guy contest, I'm actually interested in hearing about your success with it.
For starters, it's 5 days a week, one to 1.5 hours a day.

In 60 days, I lost 3.5 inches in my waist, and increased my biceps diameter by half an inch, my legs by 3/4 inch, etc., etc. My weight minimums have tripled. I was previously unable to do legit pushups (I started 6'4" and 227 pounds), and now I'm cranking them out like nobody's business -- all forms of them we use in P90X. Same with pull-ups.

I'm now well done with the initial 90 days, and P90X is now just part of my routine workout.

As with anything in life, you only get out of it what you put into it. People have no more success doing P90X over a gym -- or vice versa -- if they aren't motivated to do either. P90X has a coach and a team you work out with every session (on the DVDs), and for many of us, that's the only motivation we need -- not including the dramatic effects we see of doing the workout.

Different strokes for different folks. P90X is a tool that many of us use and find quite rewarding.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 02:58 PM

Well put.

Its good to see somebody putting the workout to good use and getting quality results out of it.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 06:41 PM

In 60 days, I lost 3.5 inches in my waist, and increased my biceps diameter by half an inch, my legs by 3/4 inch, etc., etc.
Then you were fat to begin with. You could only up to go from your previous shape.

I know it works to some degree because its not really anything revolutionary. Its a home circuit training routine. But I agree that its not the miracle plan that its hyped out to be. Its just new packaging of sound principles.
If it works for you great. Whatever gets you on the path for staying in shape is fine. For me it began with Bill Phillips' Body for Life when I was in college and they were mailing out crap to me left and right. They are good for people just starting out and aren't comfortable with going to a gym or have a limited budget or free time. HOWEVER its inevitable that you will plateau with these things or grow tired of the program. They can only give a person so much gain and its always best to change up programs every so often.

Rough for a while. I lacked someone to run with, so I wasn't very motivated. Just found out my neighbor likes to run a few times a week. I need to get new running shoes. After I finish making the attic a livable space, I will have more room for the in home stuff since my current bedroom/office will only be an office/rec area.
Yeah but what sort of changes have you seen? If you aren't tracking your progress you'll lose interest in exercising. And since you haven't gone the equipment route have you integrated strength exercises into your running? Doing push ups, squats, lunges, etc into your running program?

I bumped the thread not to see if you have bought crap but to ask if you'd stuck to your interest in getting in better shape or if it was just talk.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2010, 06:44 PM

Then you were fat to begin with. You could only up to go from your previous shape.

I know it works to some degree because its not really anything revolutionary. Its a home circuit training routine. But I agree that its not the miracle plan that its hyped out to be. Its just new packaging of sound principles.
If it works for you great. Whatever gets you on the path for staying in shape is fine. For me it began with Bill Phillips' Body for Life when I was in college and they were mailing out crap to me left and right. They are good for people just starting out and aren't comfortable with going to a gym or have a limited budget or free time. HOWEVER its inevitable that you will plateau with these things or grow tired of the program. They can only give a person so much gain and its always best to change up programs every so often.

Yeah but what sort of changes have you seen? If you aren't tracking your progress you'll lose interest in exercising. And since you haven't gone the equipment route have you integrated strength exercises into your running? Doing push ups, squats, lunges, etc into your running program?

I bumped the thread not to see if you have bought crap but to ask if you'd stuck to your interest in getting in better shape or if it was just talk.
Fat? I think not. A quick visit to my Flickr page makes that pretty obvious.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 06:47 PM

3.5 inches around the waist is a substantial amount of weight to need to lose.
That has to be around 30-40lbs

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2010, 07:26 PM

I've never once considered RAIL to be fat. Ever.
Lazy with the blog updates, yes. Fat, no.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2010, 07:58 PM

6'4" at 227 is anything but fat. I've got 10 pounds on him and I'm 2" shorter, and I'm not "fat" (but I'm not slender either). And I've been working on building a good routine that I can make habitual and fit into my schedule, so I'm quite interested in the process of putting something like P90X into practice.

Rumor  (op)
Apr 15, 2010, 09:05 PM

I've lost about 10 lbs since I started this thread, and that is running one a week or two. The push ups, sit ups, and pull ups are done every other day. SU: 3 reps of 50, PU: 3 reps of 25, PLU: 3 reps of 15.

I drink a lot of beer though, so I should bump it up a bit.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2010, 09:33 AM

3.5 inches around the waist is a substantial amount of weight to need to lose.
That has to be around 30-40lbs
Not on me -- it was only about 15 pounds. I have/had/fight the infamous McCown Gut my Dad's DNA blessed me with.

cory kreutzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2011, 09:21 AM

I can't believe how many people don't like this piece of equipment. They either, don't have one or never use one, or just don't exercise but complain anyway. I bought the Tower 200 because my old band style eqipment ( Golds Gym)purchased in 1996 was finally wore out. So the comment that band equip wears quickly is false.The Tower has given me at least an extra 40 exercises that i could not do with old equipment and works just fine. Of course I actually own one and use it. If you stop dreaming more can be accomplished.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 11:54 AM

Which means it probably gets about the same results as just about any other decent 5-day a week 1 hr of day workout.

I did 5-6 days a week with 45-75 minutes per day, and had decent results too, but I just made up my own regimen. Except I did it at a gym because there was more space there and better equipment than what I could buy, and I didn't spend $200 or whatever on a bunch of DVDs.

Furthermore, you said you couldn't do legit pushups at all before you started, so obviously you had some strength issues before you started. That's fine, but it also means that you were going to gain quickly anyway, from any decent regimen.

These things aren't magic. As you noted, it's just a tool.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2011, 12:30 PM

Zombie thread!

Forum Links
Forum Rules