Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White spots

White spots
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 06:12 PM

I got my gorgeous iBook this past January (1.33, 12", brand new). It was in excellent condition (as would be expected from a new laptop), save for one glaring flaw: the lid, when closed, hung off the left side by about a centimeter. I took it in to an Apple store, where they explained that this is fairly common for iBooks and was not under warranty, as it did not affect the performance of the machine. No biggie, I thought. I could handle a small physical imperfection. After all, nothing's perfect. I picked up an inCase sleeve while I was there and went about my business.

About two weeks ago, I noticed something odd happening to the screen: a tiny patch near the center of the screen was becoming a little lighter than the rest. At the time, I assumed that the LCD was just dirty and needed to be cleaned. Until I cleaned it, and nothing changed. And then it grew. And multiplied...

I took it back to a service center (3rd party, since my college is pretty far from an Apple store and don't have a car while on campus) and had it looked at. The guy was surprised to see such bad white spots on an iBook, and said that they would send it in to be serviced.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to their iBook? I heard of it happening a while back to the 15" PB, but never to one of these. About how long of a repair time are we looking at? I need that laptop for class... the library's computers don't have Eclipse installed.

PS: What are the odds that the crooked hinge caused the problem? Also, do you think that they will fix that while it's in the shop?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 06:40 PM

I know I seem to have darker patches down the bottom of my iBook G4 screen, they annoy me but the iBook is out of warranty and I can't afford or be bothered to get it looked at.
Originally, I would have said the white spot was light shining through the Apple logo on the back, but since it's multiplied it seems like i'm wrong, hopefully it's an isolated case and you get your iBook back all nice and fixed soon.

Sean.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 06:39 AM

There has been a thread on the white spot problem. It was in the PB forum. Basically, white spots are an avoidable problem with LCDs. Some just get them. Some take a long time, some don't. Some (I would even venture to say most) never have them in their entire service life. You were unlucky.

One whole cm? That is alot. It seems like they should fix that, too.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 03:27 PM

I have two slightly ligher spot (very tiny) on my iBook screen. It's just recently out of warranty, so there is nothing that I can do, and the spots are not even noticeable, except when the background color is all one, dark shade. Even then, I have to look at it from an angle to see them. I also have a single dead pixel, which is almost impossible to find.

When I first got my iBook, I had a dead pixel in less than one week. The store replaced it for me, and I had no problems for almost a year. If you have white spots like you are describing, Apple needs to replace the display. In addition, the 1cm hang of lid needs to be fixed as well. If you are still under warranty, I would talk to an Apple store manager. The best kept secret at the Apple stores is that the manager has final approval of all returns and repairs, and can make a decision, regardless of what the Mac Genius at the counter says. They are reimbursed for the machines when they replace them, if they are defective (a store manager told me this), so they have nothing to worry about. They just plain don't feel like dealing with it, sometimes, which can be expected at any retail store.

Don't take "no" for an answer when it comes to new hardware. It should be perfect when you buy it, and for the life of the warranty, so long as you didn't cause the problem. (And, yes, I do disagree with others who say that "a few dead pixels doesn't matter." Yes, it does, and it should be taken care of.)
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 03:18 PM

Well, my iBook should be coming in either today or tomorrow. Here's hoping something got fixed...

PS: my metric units are a little rusty. The hang was actually closer to a half centimeter. Sorry for the confusion.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Well, my iBook should be coming in either today or tomorrow. Here's hoping something got fixed...

PS: my metric units are a little rusty. The hang was actually closer to a half centimeter. Sorry for the confusion.
Hopefully they fixed the hang, too. Any hang is too much, in my opinion. I don't have any, I've never seen one with it, and none of the machines in the Apple stores have any. This is where Apple and I tend to disagree. They think that certain imperfections are OK when you get a new computer, while I think that I should get a machine that looks exactly like the one I just passed on display in the store. Many people on other forums have had huge flame wars over this, especially when it comes to dead pixels on brand new iMacs and Cinema displays. Some accept it, and chalk it up as a cost that they must bear in order to for the displays to be sold cheaply enough for people to afford them. Others, like me, think that if they have to accept certain imperfections when they buy a product, they should be told up front, and be required to sign off on such an agreement.

If the hang is still there, and you want it fixed, and the machine is still under warranty, bring it back to the Apple store and talk to a manager. Be nice, but firm, and simply state that you want it fixed, or replaced. Defects are the manufacturer's problem, not yours. :-)
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

ShyGuy91284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 06:19 PM

I have the same problem. I thought maybe I somehow pressed the screen and it happened, but I see someone else has the same problem (solid colors, easier to see at angles). It shows up on white screens on mine though. I plan on getting it fixed this summer (will still be under warranty).

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 06:27 PM

Well, my iBook has returned from its repair trip, and I'm generally pleased. They completely replaced the LCD, but let everything else as it was before. No white spots, which is nice, and it's completely free of dead pixels, just like my last display. I might be just imagining things, but this LCD definitely seems like it's a little brighter and clearer... but it might just be my eyes having adjusted to my library's crappy displays.

Unfortunately, the hanging-ness is still there, but it doesn't really concern me as much. If it gets worse, I'll go to an Apple store and make a stink, but otherwise I'm just happy to have my laptop back and in near-perfect condition.

(One odd side-effect: my keyboard is now dirtier than it was before... apparently the repair person greased it up a bit when they replaced the LCD. Looks like I'm up for a trip to a grocery store for one of those Magic Eraser things I've heard so much about.)

macviking
Apr 11, 2006, 07:12 PM

I had the same problem with the white spots on my G4 12 inch ibook. I had three white spots on the left-center of the screen. I sent it in b/c I have the 3 year apple care. They replaced the screen and it solved the white spot problem. However, the screen now had an overhang similar to the problem described (i.e. - the left side now hangs over aprox 1/2 cm and the right side is indented aprox 1/2 cm). I sent the computer back again b/c of this problem. When I got it back the second time, they did nothing and it had a note saying that the screen was within manufacture tolenences. What should I do??? The closest apple store is 3 hours away???

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
(One odd side-effect: my keyboard is now dirtier than it was before... apparently the repair person greased it up a bit when they replaced the LCD. Looks like I'm up for a trip to a grocery store for one of those Magic Eraser things I've heard so much about.)
Magic Erasers rock!
Dennis R. Metzcher

lilford
Apr 12, 2006, 03:18 PM

My ibook has a very weird problem. OK, so like where the writing "iBook G4" is on the laptop under the LCD, if you tilt the screen so you are looking right down the screen, you can see right where there is about 1/2 inch of space that is bulging out. I can see some wires and other stuff there too. So far it has not effected the screen or anything. It is kinda weird though how all of a sudden it is just bulging out. It doesn't effect the closing of the lid either. Now to help with your problem, Was it just in one spot on the screen or all over? If it was just in one spot, then that part of the LCD was just a little screwy. Try running Pixel Tester to see if you have any dead pixels too.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dmetzcher
Magic Erasers rock!
New Jersey rocks!

lilford
Apr 12, 2006, 05:12 PM

Minnesota rocks your socks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules