Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iceland!

Iceland! (Page 5)
Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2008, 05:00 AM

A small update on our descent into a 3rd world country.

It seems IMF will not process our loan application unless we get more loans through other countries first.

Which would be fine except that.....

No other country (with the notable exception of Poland and Faroys(sp?)) will loan us any money unless we get the loan from IMF first.

Whoop-de-f*cking-do!

"Learn to swim"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2008, 06:58 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2008, 01:47 PM

Some more great news on the help we are getting from our "friends" and "allies".

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...i8BLgD94DFU1O0

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2008, 01:53 PM

To put things in perspective:
According to the news on RÚV [Icelandic National Broadcasting Service] at noon today, the per capita claims that Britain is making on Landsbanki, and which they would like the Icelandic taxpayer to fork over, are 3-4 times higher than the war compensation claims Germany was made to pay after World War II.

http://icelandweatherreport.com/2008...andsbanki.html
And apparently the amount we are talking about for the UK is about 0.5% of their total savings. Yes, that's a lot of money but clearly not a threat to the UK financial system.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2008, 09:18 AM

"Learn to swim"

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2008, 11:43 AM

Here is another scary article about Iceland's financial problems. The last thing we need is Russia extending its sphere of influence outside of Asia and Eastern Europe. I find it staggering that we can spend billions to build an anti-missile shield in Europe to defend against the Russians* yet we can't come up with a couple billion dollars for Iceland. This seems like a penny-wise/pound-foolish decision on the part of the US and UK governments in relation to the geo-political rise of Russia.

BBC NEWS | Business | Russia's role in rescuing Iceland

*While the Bush Administration may say it is to protect against rogue nations in the Middle East, Poland is pretty damn far away from the Middle East.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Here is another scary article about Iceland's financial problems. The last thing we need is Russia extending its sphere of influence outside of Asia and Eastern Europe. I find it staggering that we can spend billions to build an anti-missile shield in Europe to defend against the Russians* yet we can't come up with a couple billion dollars for Iceland. This seems like a penny-wise/pound-foolish decision on the part of the US and UK governments in relation to the geo-political rise of Russia.

BBC NEWS | Business | Russia's role in rescuing Iceland

*While the Bush Administration may say it is to protect against rogue nations in the Middle East, Poland is pretty damn far away from the Middle East.
I mostly agree with that. We Icelanders have got a good (but harsh) lesson in who are our real friends and who are fair-weather friends.

At the moment the general feeling is that Iceland should offer the old NATO base to Russia (against a loan), and then do a unilateral switch to the Euro. Most Icelanders would agree to that from what I've heard.

I'm just afraid all this will result in us joining the EU under terrible conditions (loss of sovereignty over our fisheries and possible loss of sovereignty over the vast oil fields that have been found... surprise surprise). Very powerful entities here in Iceland have been wishing for a EU membership and the switch to the euro. And the EU has been wishing for years that they'd get access to our fish. So it's a win win situation for both groups.

But for us ordinary Icelanders I'm not so sure that's what we need. At least I'd be really sad if we'd give up our sovereignty just 64 years after we gained full independence.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2008, 04:53 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122695569056034695.html

Can't stand this man and most definitely can't understand what he is doing at the board of our CB but he brings up some good points.

"Learn to swim"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2008, 08:02 AM

I leave in … four days! Woot!

(Sayf, check your PMs)

Forum Links
Forum Rules