Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Made the switch, but missing one thing...

Made the switch, but missing one thing...
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 08:16 PM

and yes, I already checked the "What application do I use if I need to....?" sticky.

I just made the switch a few days ago (from a Toshiba POS to a shiny new 12" iBook). I'm absolutely infatuated with Bianca (her name), but I've got one glaring hole in the beauty that is my iBook. Specifically, I've noticed that there is no equivalent whatsoever for Windows' MSPaint.

Yeah, it's an odd request... but there are times in which a bare-bones, (hopefully) free bitmap editor comes in handy. I've scoured VersionTracker and the official Apple downloads page, but have yet to find anything suitable. Does anyone have any suggestions? (And please keep the smartass remarks to a minimum... I'm relatively new to OS X, and would hate to get scared off... )

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

voo
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2006, 08:31 PM

Poster Paint and jump between that and Preview?

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2006, 08:41 PM

Seashore maybe?
http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

A bit more advanced than MS Paint, but its pretty simple to use...

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 09:03 PM

Poster Paint is a bit too early in development for me (0.0.4), but Seashore looks perfect for what I need. I'll give it a shot and post some initial impressions!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 09:26 PM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2006, 09:42 PM

Graphic Converter would also fit the bill.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 09:48 PM

Umm... that artrage program is, as a matter of fact, exremely nifty. Unfortunately, it doesn't do what I'm looking for.

After playing a bit with the Seashore Project, I'm very pleased. The program still has a ways to go before it's perfect, but I definitely like it so far. It gets my official tumbs-up for best MSPaint clone on a Mac.

Master444
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 10:33 PM

I'm looking for something that has the spriting capabilities of MS Paint. I miss making sprites

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I've noticed that there is no equivalent whatsoever for Windows' MSPaint.
Thank God!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 11:07 PM

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 01:50 AM

Gimp

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just felt the need to point out the irony of suggesting that I try out a program that I wrote myself.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Gimp
GIMP is more an equivalent to Photoshop. An image creation app with the power of the GIMP would be great, but I'm still looking...

Chabig, a pixel-level editor has many uses, even if it's less advanced than big, involved programs. Maybe especially because it's not as advanced, because there are only a few things you can do, but they are both more obvious and straightforward. I've done tons of editing in Paint simply because it was what was available. For a really good time, try creating a "lines and text" image in PowerPoint, exporting it through copying to the clipboard pasting into a new Paint image, and then tweaking the edges and corners with Paint. It is indeed slow and clunky, but it works, it gives you what you want, and it takes tools that come with a corporate Windows installation.

As it happens, I've been looking for something on the same order as Paint for creating very simple background pictures for web page fields. I'll be looking at the apps people suggest here as I get time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 19, 2007, 02:08 AM

Gimp is the only Mac application I have found that does as good a job at adding captions to images as Paint does. I was thinking of that when I suggested it.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 04:41 AM

ImagePlay is very good at adding captions, lots of options.

Download link (v0.1.5)

There's a newer version out, v0.3, but it's gone from freeware to $20 shareware in between time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules