Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Help finding some images.

Help finding some images.
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 02:29 PM

Hey, y'all, I need to find ~ 60 to 100 pictures of scary objects, like weapons or menacing animals, preferably with a white background. They'd be for display in a scientific experiment, and don't need to be very high resolution at all. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good places to find themed collections of royalty-free photos, wherein I could buy a whole set for < $100. Or if anyone has any great tips for finding stuff on the web, since searching google images and flickr (or even online stock-photo sites) tends to bring up few usable results per search..

Thanks in advance,
Y.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Hey, y'all, I need to find ~ 60 to 100 pictures of scary objects, like weapons or menacing animals, preferably with a white background. They'd be for display in a scientific experiment, and don't need to be very high resolution at all. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good places to find themed collections of royalty-free photos, wherein I could buy a whole set for < $100. Or if anyone has any great tips for finding stuff on the web, since searching google images and flickr (or even online stock-photo sites) tends to bring up few usable results per search..

Thanks in advance,
Y.
I don't know of any specific collections. Your best bet is to search low cost royalty-free sites, entering individual search terms i.e., fright, scare, threat, haunt, weapons, horror etc. Images cost aproximately $1- $3 per depending on file size. A few sites to try:

fotolia. com
bigstockphoto.com
istockphoto.com

Also try searching Google Images.

Good luck.

W2

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2006, 11:08 AM

A simple Google search should bring you lots of images. The trick will be finding them with a solid white background. You might have to resort to a little Photoshop masking to get the look you want.

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
A simple Google search should bring you lots of images. The trick will be finding them with a solid white background. You might have to resort to a little Photoshop masking to get the look you want.
Yeah, the problem is that I'm a rank amateur with Photoshop and have no idea how to make a good mask, unless the background contrasts the main image enought that I can just magic wand it away.

And, for that matter, Google bringing lots of images is a problem as well. The vast majority of them are usually unrelated or essentially useless. Plus I have to think of lots of different search terms.. But that's what we're managing with so far. Thanks for the responses, though...

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2006, 02:44 PM

What sort of terms are you using in your searches? What sort of weapons are you looking for?
Modern? Medieval? Torture? Bloody?

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 09:03 PM

I've used searches for specific things I can think of, like "shark", "lion", "gun", "sword"; adjectives like "scary", "dangerous", "gross"; and specific things like "vicious dog", "rattlesnake strike". Each of these occasionally turns up something. The problem is that I might get one or two useful images in pages of results, because some images are totally irrelevant (say, cartoons, or a guy whose nickname is Shark) and others are okay topic-wise but visually too complex. I'm wondering if I should just swing by Best Buy, pick up a handful of stock photo CDs, and hope that between 'em I can find a couple dozen more scary things.

I need non-scary images as well, but those are so easy to find via product shots on Amazon.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules