Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car stereo recommendations?

Car stereo recommendations?
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2009, 10:31 PM

I'm planning on replacing my car's stereo. I'd like the new one to have iPod integration (i.e. plug iPod/iPhone via USB/Dock connector and be able to control it via the stereo's buttons) and Bluetooth handsfree support. My 2 questions for y'all are:
  1. Where should I shop? I've only been looking at Crutchfield.com, since they always provide instructions and installation kits (mounting brackets and wiring adapters). Is there any place else that includes that stuff and has similar prices?
  2. Any recommendations for specific models of stereo?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 5, 2009, 12:27 AM

It looks like you're leaning toward installing it yourself, which is always a good idea. Car stereos are pretty simple, so there's no sense in paying someone else to do it (or paying more for the stereo and getting "free" installation).

Crutchfield is a solid choice.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2009, 12:40 AM

got a price range?
single/double din?

a random recommendation without the rest of the facts

Pioneer DEH-P7100BT
I've sold a lot of these recently, its a great head unit with bluetooth integration (no module) and decent iPod connectivity.

Alpine iDA-X305
My personal favorite for iPod control/integration (and the current head unit in my car)
Although it has no CD player (who needs one) its iPod control is unmatched (IMO) although it will require a bluetooth module (150$).

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 07:33 AM

If I were you, I'd go to a local place and play around with what they have on display.

When I went to replace the factory head unit in my car, I discovered that a lot of units these days have annoyingly complex menu systems. I specifically wanted something that let me get to the equalizer settings quickly and easily, and I based my decision on that. It was a lot easier to figure out what fit me best by playing around with the different units on display. I bought the actual head unit from Crutchfield.

Also, FWIW, I don't know of any iPod-integrated systems that are particularly good yet. You might consider getting a Griffin AirClick remote to use with your iPod in the car - it's what I did, and it worked out really well.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2009, 09:03 AM

Alpine has been leading the way when it comes to iPod connectivity, probably the best choice. I went on a road trip recently in a Porsche that was sporting a brand new Alpine, and it was a joy to use with my iPod(tucked away in the glove).

Myselfl? I have a factory head unit in my Sentra, it has an AUX input on the face. Works fine for me!
ice

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the input so far, folks.

As far as the price range, it's hard to say. This'll be a belated birthday present from my folks, who can certainly afford plenty. But I still don't think I'd want to ask for anything more than ~$250.

klb5090, I've definitely heard good things about that Alpine, esp. w/r/t to the iPod controls. And I don't give a crap about CDs, so it definitely intrigues me. OTOH, I'm hesitant to have to spend an extra $150 on a Bluetooth kit.

shifuimam, I'm going to get a new stereo either way. My current one has neither tape deck nor aux in, so the only way to get iPod sound into it now is via crappy FM transmitters. Are you suggesting just getting something with aux in and using the AirClick for control? Is the AirClick iPhone compatible, and does it charge iPods/iPhones?

thanks again, y'all.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 10:58 PM

The AirClick was an RF receiver that plugs into the dock connector of an iPod. Apparently Griffin discontinued it and replaced it with this:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ith-smartclick

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on an iPod-integrated head unit. It may not be compatible with future hardware, and I have yet to see any options yet that aren't mediocre at best.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2009, 09:58 PM

A2DP is a must for wireless iPhone->stereo streaming.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
A2DP is a must for wireless iPhone->stereo streaming.
How's sound quality with that? Compared to wired? I assume it's better than FM transmitter?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2009, 08:19 AM

I really don't see the point of A2DP in the car. If I'm going to be draining the batter via audio streaming, I'll want to charge the thing. In which case I'm connecting it to some part of the car with a cable, so I may as well just connect it to the stereo via aux in or a dedicated iPod interface. Definitely looking forward to using A2DP for headphones, though, since my cables are always snagging on something when I walk around.

Anyway, I ordered the Pioneer that klb5090 linked to above. From what I've read, the iPod controls seem pretty useable, and you can switch to controlling directly from the device. Looking forward to having a speakerphone, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules