Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard kills Document Creator Codes

Snow Leopard kills Document Creator Codes
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 01:36 PM

As explained in this article, Document Creator Codes are a small piece of metadata that are attached to a file when it is created. This metadata is associated with the creating application; for example, Paintbrush uses the code 'Pbsh'. The OS then uses this information to make sure that the originating application is launched when you double-click the document in the Finder.

However, as of Snow Leopard, these codes are no longer respected. All files will automatically launch the system's default handler for its filetype, unless you specifically change the file's default in the Finder's Get Info window.

To me, this is very unfortunate. I do a lot of image editing in my spare time, and I enjoyed having the originating application "claim" its documents. The worst part is that according to the article, this was a management-driven decision, and not an engineering-driven one. In other words, there's no technical reason for this change.

What are your thoughts on this change? Don't tell me I'm the only one that disagrees with the decision.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 02:12 PM

Does that mean you could still change the handler for each file, but you would have to manually re-assign a non-default handler ?

Yeah, sounds like a stupid move on Apple's part.

-t

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 02:16 PM

So when you manually assign a different "open with" app on a per-file basis, is it still using the Creator Code metadata? Or is it using some new technique?

More importantly, is there a supported way for developers to let their apps set this whenever they create and/or save a file, so you won't have to do it by hand on a per-file basis?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 02:32 PM

That is an annoying change. I'm also curious about how changing the Open With setting works now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2009, 02:40 PM

To counter the argument, if I have a default app set for a file type, it tends to mean that I want my files to open in that app even if they were created in something else. Having another app override my default without me expressly changing it for that app is also very annoying.

However, I haven't installed Snow Leopard yet, so maybe it is worse to have it this way around and I just haven't experienced how bad it is

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 02:47 PM

Most of the time, if I create a TIFF in Photoshop and double-click it two seconds later, I intend for it to open in Photoshop and not Preview. I think this is most people's expectation. The idea that a file I made in Photoshop — that has never been touched by Preview — would open is Preview is kind of weird. Obviously files saved by Safari (for example) shouldn't behave this way, but expecting people to make the leap that "This file belongs to another program than the one I used to make it just because of its file extension" seems rather unintuitive IMO.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
So when you manually assign a different "open with" app on a per-file basis, is it still using the Creator Code metadata? Or is it using some new technique?
It puts a 'usro' file in the resource fork with a path to the TextEdit application, but I wouldn't exactly call that a "new" technique since it's been there since at least 10.1.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Most of the time, if I create a TIFF in Photoshop and double-click it two seconds later, I intend for it to open in Photoshop and not Preview. I think this is most people's expectation.
Conversely, if I created a TIFF in Photoshop then double-clicked it a week later, my expectation would be for it to open in Preview rather than Photoshop because Preview is my default for viewing images rather than editing them. In other words, I think this is an impossible situation to solve as expectations will vary depending on context. However, as people are already used to it happening the old way, for it to suddenly change will naturally be jarring and is no doubt one of those WTF were they thinking situations. It would probably have been better for Apple to have left it as is.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 03:40 PM

They did - for 7 years. The 'usro' resource has been the replacement for the creator code for a long time. Since the usro resource is user-configurable and the creator code isn't, I'm not one bit surprised that they eventually ended up yanking the latter.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
They did - for 7 years. The 'usro' resource has been the replacement for the creator code for a long time. Since the usro resource is user-configurable and the creator code isn't, I'm not one bit surprised that they eventually ended up yanking the latter.
Applications don't set the USRO resource and AFAIK it's undocumented and unsupported to do so, so now we are left with applications being forced to offer a worse user experience wherein the user has to manually set the owner on each and every file even though of course I want my Photoshop files to open in Photoshop. What a pain.
Chuck
___

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2009, 04:21 PM

Applications cannot write usro-resources to own their own files by default. There is no API for it and the format is undocumented.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 05:05 PM

Applications don't set the USRO resource and AFAIK it's undocumented and unsupported to do so, so now we are left with applications being forced to offer a worse user experience wherein the user has to manually set the owner on each and every file even though of course I want my Photoshop files to open in Photoshop. What a pain.
Wow that's breaking a 1984 UI convention. I'm surprised this is the first we've heard about this.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 05:11 PM

^ And what convention would that be?

I think the reasoning behind that is that it's supposed to be a user preference. Applications aren't meant to be changing that setting behind the user's back - it's supposed to be done only by the user.

If it were really that big a deal, though, you could set it easily enough programmatically. All the usro resource is, is a 32-bit length of the path, the path itself as a UTF-8 string, and a zero byte.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 05:17 PM

^ And what convention would that be?
I assume: That documents belong to applications, rather than having the system launch a document in some arbitrary application merely because it shares a file extension with another file you wanted to launch in the other application.

I think the reasoning behind that is that it's supposed to be a user preference. Applications aren't meant to be changing that setting behind the user's back - it's supposed to be done only by the user.
Is that why creator codes were introduced and respected (and nobody ever complained about them) from 1984 until late 2009? The old behavior of a document creator having the option to own its files and the user being able to override that seems much more reasonable than all files with a given file extension always opening in one program regardless of how they were created unless the user goes through them one by one and changes that.
Chuck
___

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 05:39 PM

This particular SL 'improvement' is immensely annoying.

I'll just need to unlearn a 20- year habit of double-clicking files to open them and start dragging them into QuickSilver/Dock instead. Oh well.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 06:58 PM

I assume: That documents belong to applications, rather than having the system launch a document in some arbitrary application merely because it shares a file extension with another file you wanted to launch in the other application.
Rather, that documents belong to the application you set them to belong to, rather than belonging to some application just because it decided to take over that file.

As an example, I've got Word 2004 on my system for those cases where iWork isn't compatible enough with some file that someone sent, but for the vast majority of Word docs I get I'd prefer to open in Pages. However, save a file in Word for some reason and it sets the creator code to make them open in Word forever. This is annoying.

Is that why creator codes were introduced and respected (and nobody ever complained about them) from 1984 until late 2009? The old behavior of a document creator having the option to own its files and the user being able to override that seems much more reasonable than all files with a given file extension always opening in one program regardless of how they were created unless the user goes through them one by one and changes that.
Dude, you're extremely late to complain about this one. Creator codes have been redundant and obsolete ever since OS X came out. Most Cocoa applications don't even bother setting the creator code - the only apps that actually do are older applications like Word and Photoshop that have been ported from OS 9, and you can expect those to stop doing it too as they get rewritten in Cocoa for 64-bit, since Cocoa makes you go out of your way to set the creator code, and there hasn't been any point in bothering with those things for years. So in a short time, you're not even going to have any apps that set the creator code on files at all. So why does it matter if the OS supports them?

Look, if you want to replicate the old "creator code" functionality, send Apple feedback to put an equivalent in Cocoa that would put a resource in the file's resource fork similar to the 'usro' resource, or even better, an extended attribute that will give a record of what application created it. But make it an optional setting somewhere, so we don't all get stuck with this behavior, and make it based on the bundle ID, a modern piece of metadata that applications actually use. Don't beat the dead horse of the creator code.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 8, 2009 at 07:43 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 07:16 PM

There should definitely be a replacement for creator codes so that the user could optionally set an application to own the files it creates. What we have in OS X is an all or nothing solution. I've always hated the fact that dumb file extensions replaced types and creators.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 09:46 PM

I've always been in the habit of right-clicking on files and selecting the application to open with. That way it's never a mystery as to what application will open the file.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 01:18 AM

Sometimes a glitch opens an image in preview (I'm currently still on Tiger).

I usually open all RAW images in Capture One, all TIFFs in Photoshop. But I don't work with InDesign or a page layout program, that also uses TIFFs.

That could really get difficult.

I always hate it when management overrides expert knowledge. It's like the marketing people ruling Hollywood and deciding on what gets greenlighted. The junky result you can see in the theaters.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 05:05 PM

Yay! It's so annoying having every Photoshop created file default to launching Photoshop to view it unless you change the default app to Preview for every one of them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 05:42 PM

Yeah, now every Photoshop-created file will default to launching some completely different program unless you change the default app to Photoshop for every one of them.
Chuck
___

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 07:29 PM

Question time, since I really don't know: how often do people create files in Photoshop that are not .PSD files, save them, and then re-open them for further editing in PS? I realized the other day that 95% of the time, I don't export to a non-PSD unless I'm done editing. And if I do want to make more changes, I change the original PSD, not the output file. But I'm no professional, so I might be missing something.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 07:33 PM

Personally? Not that often. But people I work with do.
Chuck
___

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Question time, since I really don't know: how often do people create files in Photoshop that are not .PSD files, save them, and then re-open them for further editing in PS? I realized the other day that 95% of the time, I don't export to a non-PSD unless I'm done editing. And if I do want to make more changes, I change the original PSD, not the output file. But I'm no professional, so I might be missing something.
I don't use .psd, I use .tiff

I want a document to open in the application that created it.

Everything else is just nonsense. If I want it to open in a different application, it should be me who decides so.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 09:41 PM

Yeah, now every Photoshop-created file will default to launching some completely different program unless you change the default app to Photoshop for every one of them.
If you want .tiffs to open in Photoshop when you double-click them, you could, oh, I dunno, change the default app for .tiffs to Photoshop.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 09:57 PM

If you want .tiffs to open in Photoshop when you double-click them, you could, oh, I dunno, change the default app for .tiffs to Photoshop.
I don't, though. By and large, I prefer all images to open in Preview because it's much faster and more lightweight than Photoshop. I only want Photoshop documents to open in Photoshop, and I don't want to have to care about stupid Windowsy details like what their file extension is.
Chuck
___

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2009, 10:35 PM

Dude, you're extremely late to complain about this one. Creator codes have been redundant and obsolete ever since OS X came out. Most Cocoa applications don't even bother setting the creator code - the only apps that actually do are older applications like Word and Photoshop that have been ported from OS 9, and you can expect those to stop doing it too as they get rewritten in Cocoa for 64-bit, since Cocoa makes you go out of your way to set the creator code, and there hasn't been any point in bothering with those things for years. So in a short time, you're not even going to have any apps that set the creator code on files at all. So why does it matter if the OS supports them?

Look, if you want to replicate the old "creator code" functionality, send Apple feedback to put an equivalent in Cocoa that would put a resource in the file's resource fork similar to the 'usro' resource, or even better, an extended attribute that will give a record of what application created it. But make it an optional setting somewhere, so we don't all get stuck with this behavior, and make it based on the bundle ID, a modern piece of metadata that applications actually use. Don't beat the dead horse of the creator code.
I am certainly not up on much (if any) of LaunchServices' internal workings, but i can observe certain things...

$ date; sw_vers
Wed Sep 9 22:14:36 EDT 2009
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.5.8
BuildVersion: 9L31a

$ type lsreg
lsreg is aliased to `/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister'

$ lsreg -dump |grep -c 'creator code'

Hmm, almost 3000 lines in the LS db with the phrase "creator code".

Trying to clean and shrink the (ginormous) output a bit with something like...
lsreg -dump |grep -A9 ^bundle |egrep '(name:|creator code:)' |grep -B1 creator

...still produces a long mess. So here's just a sampling of what's there...
Code:
name: iTunes creator code: 'hook' name: Postbox creator code: 'PPLM' name: QuickTime Player creator code: 'TVOD' name: HoudahSpot creator code: 'HHSP' name: Platypus creator code: 'Plat' name: AppHack creator code: 'ApHk' name: CLIX creator code: 'RxCx' name: Quicksilver creator code: 'daed' name: FastScripts creator code: 'Fscp' name: Safari creator code: 'sfri' name: Preview creator code: 'prvw' name: OmniOutliner creator code: 'OOut' name: MoneyWorks Cashbook creator code: 'CW2+' name: iCab creator code: 'iCAB' name: iVolume creator code: 'iVol' name: DiskWarrior creator code: 'DWrX' name: Terminal creator code: 'trmv' name: VoodooPad Lite creator code: 'VoPP' name: DTerm creator code: 'DTrm' name: DVD Player creator code: 'cfbs' name: Font Book creator code: 'ftbk' name: GraphicConverter creator code: 'GKON' name: iCal creator code: 'wrbt' name: iChat creator code: 'fez!' name: Shiira creator code: 'ShiR' name: Firefox creator code: 'MOZB' name: Pacifist creator code: 'Pax!'
Ultimately, there's a basic test... like double-clicking a jpeg. It opens in Preview.
Then, launch File Buddy and change the creator code on the jpeg (from nothing) to GKON.
(i.e., no fiddling with any OSX Get Info window "Open with", etc).
Double-click the same jpeg... and GraphicConverter opens the file.

Q.E.D.

I wouldn't say creator codes have been "obsolete" ever since OS X came out.
In fact it seems that LS gives them preferential treatment (as of OSX 10.5.8 anyway).
Or perhaps I've misunderstood the argument (in which case, apologies all around).

-HI-
-HI-

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 10:44 PM

I'm pretty sure it's never given the creator preferential treatment. If the doc had a usro resource, it would use that. It went filetype default < creator < usro.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Or perhaps I've misunderstood the argument (in which case, apologies all around).
You have. It's not that creator codes didn't work in 10.5 - they did. However, they were archaic, redundant, and obsolete. There exists a more modern signature for identifying applications - it's called the bundle ID, and it's been there since 10.0. It uniquely identifies each application on the system in a way that's more flexible, more scalable, and less prone to collisions than the creator code, it can be used to query the LaunchServices database to look up applications just like the creator code, and it's actually used by all OS X applications, not just ones that were ported over from Classic. The only reason the creator code was in the OS was because OS 9 had it - as soon as Classic was stripped out of the OS, there was no reason to keep it around anymore. I'm surprised Leopard even had it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 11:08 PM

If it were possible to mark a document with a creator bundle id, that would make sense. I don't think there is such a thing, though.
Chuck
___

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2009, 11:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's never given the creator preferential treatment. If the doc had a usro resource, it would use that. It went filetype default < creator < usro.
Well, i meant preferential treatment over the default "Open with" (as set by the .jpg extension). Out of the tens of thousands of docs in my possession, i bet i can count the ones with a 'usro' resource on one hand. Very, very, VERY few docs have any resource fork at all (clippings and drag-n-drop url .weblocs excluded).

EDIT[s]:
speaking of things that OSX was going to make obsolete, wasn't resource "forks" at the top of that list?
[not xattrs in general, but resource forks specifically. Also, what's a good ResEdit replacement for OSX?]

This post may have some relevant info:
Print "Preview" uses Acrobat vs. Preview
[note also the gif there linked to "4 different types of PDF's"]
Even though that article is of Jaguar vintage, Leopard seems to behave the same.
If obsolete is equivalent to gets preferential treatment then, (as Gomer used to say) "Surprise, surprise".
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Sep 10, 2009 at 12:12 AM. )
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 11:43 PM

If it were possible to mark a document with a creator bundle id, that would make sense. I don't think there is such a thing, though.
Right, but that's due to a design decision rather than any technical consideration. There's nothing the creator can do that the bundle ID can't - the Finder could just as easily look up an app based on the bundle ID if it were coded to do so. The reason Apple hasn't done so is because it's annoying for applications to randomly take over your documents and override your settings (it's bugged me for some time how I always had to Get Info -> Change All for virtually every combination of extension + creator code just to get documents to open with a certain app). The reason creator codes were still in the OS for as long as they were was because they were needed for the Classic environment to work right, but it's gone now, so there's not much reason to keep them around anymore. And it won't affect things much either way, since even if the creator codes were still honored, most of the apps that use them are going to get ported to Cocoa over the next couple of years, after which time the apps will only write the creator code if the developers explicitly go out of their way to do so - which almost never happens. I dare you to find a single Cocoa app that puts a creator code on files it writes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules