Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What have you been listening to - and how?

What have you been listening to - and how? (Page 2)
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
When I hooked up my Polk bookshelfs I tried a test with 128k MP3 and 256k MP3 w/VBR ripped in iTunes, and then playing straight from CD (also from iTunes on my iMac). Computer is hooked up to a Harmon/Kardon 3375 receiver (thru audio out).

Of course I'd like to try with a dedicated CD player (not to mention a good set of speakers/headphones) but I had to temporarily leave mine behind during a recent move.

Anyways, I couldn't tell the difference between 256k and CD on U2's Joshua Tree album. Went through the first 4 songs - switching back and forth at the same spot - and for the life of me I wasn't picking up the difference. After a while I would "start" to think I was hearing something, so I got my wife to do the switching while I sat back with my eyes closed... nope. I was just guessing. I could tell when comparing with 128k though, but it was slight enough that I figure if I was using the iMac speakers I wouldn't notice.

Have you tried with 256k? Could you pick it out? I'd like to do it with some good cup headphones (or like I said a better audio system) and see if it would make a difference.

Of course, I used heavy equipment for extended periods during my summer job and probably don't have the best hearing range....

greg
No, 192 AAC with VBR sounds just fine to me.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2010, 12:25 AM

Haha damn. Those alone are $50+ grand I would imagine. I hope to Ca$h you picked them up for $300 on Craigslist.
Sorry, I missed your reply. They were less than half of MSRP and no shipping, I just rented a truck and drove over and got them. Even now that's a steal.

The best deal I've seen on a pair, someone should jump on those or I will... and I don't really know what I'd do with them, except maybe build a room just for them and setup a temple dedicated to vinyl and tubes.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Dandruff?
Or spooge?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Or spooge?
Spray paint?

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2010, 06:10 AM

You people are remarkably excited over some (sensor dust?).

In other news, I've been getting back to some CCR lately. "It's Just A Thought" is one killer tune.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2010, 06:21 AM

Anyways, I couldn't tell the difference between 256k and CD on U2's Joshua Tree album.
As much as I love Eno, Joshua Tree is so processed to hell that the album's sound quality ended up pretty mediocre. It really isn't a good "test" record.

What works well is acoustic recordings - a good jazz album, or something with lots of drums (esp. cymbals).

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
As much as I love Eno, Joshua Tree is so processed to hell that the album's sound quality ended up pretty mediocre. It really isn't a good "test" record.

What works well is acoustic recordings - a good jazz album, or something with lots of drums (esp. cymbals).
Hey! Great stuff. I was wondering about this, because I've been listening to a good amount of jazz lately and while re-ripping some CDs last night (the oldest of which were probably Soundjam era - so 192kbps MP3), I did a few comparison tests again. I used Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and Duke Ellington & John Coltrane's album. I could definitely tell the difference on those. However, those were ollllld MP3s and I wasn't sure if it was me, or perhaps the result of decade-old files having been copied two dozen times.

Any particular reference album you'd recommend?

Thanks
greg

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2010, 12:51 PM

As far a phono carts, anyone still using one made in the 1980's? Does the compliance suffer? Anyone buy a new cart? Maybe a ClearAudio?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 27, 2010, 01:17 PM

POS Panasonic receiver I bought on clearance in high school. Panasonic center, surround, and sub. POS KLH speakers I got on clearance at Best Buy. Music is almost exclusively 192kbps from Pandora One.

A better setup will come when I no longer have shared walls.

In the car it's Infinity Kappas and an Alpine Type-R powered by a Pioneer amp pushing 100W RMS per channel.

iPod connectivity coming soon.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jul 27, 2010 at 01:24 PM. )

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 27, 2010, 06:26 PM

I usually use Sarah McLaughlin. Sounds fantastic.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2010, 03:40 AM

Greg,

I think you've already made a fine selection. Most of the great jazz albums from the 50s and 60s will do. Avoid the Getz/Gilberto album with "Ipanema" on it - for some reason, all CDs I've heard of it are completely botched masterings of twentieth-generation tapes - hissy as all hell, and painful highs.

What makes many of those old recordings far superior to almost anything recorded today is that they had ROOMS. Huge, awesome studios with suspended concrete floors that could never be cleaned because they sound perfect, and draperies that would never be drawn.

It's so much dead rooms, close-micing, and artificial reverb these days.

But it's the rooms that really show up or disappear the better or worse the lossy audio compression gets.

Most important, though, is that you're familiar with the music.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 28, 2010, 10:16 AM

That is an interesting point. So you're saying modern studios sound too dead, and the reverb is added in later to make it sound a bit livelier?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2010, 10:34 AM

Exactly.

That happened in the 70s, when multi-tracking and overdubbing took over as standard practice. Everything got much more controllable, but the art of capturing the magic as it happened in the room was lost, to a great extent.

Also, treating/keeping a great room that will fit a whole string section and band costs millions.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2010, 01:09 PM

With one exception - Sheffield Labs. Studio, mixer and monitors and such built just for direct to disk recordings. Tower of Power Direct is my favorite, with Harry James a close second. Also the M&K folks made some super recordings in the late 1970's.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
With one exception - Sheffield Labs. Studio, mixer and monitors and such built just for direct to disk recordings. Tower of Power Direct is my favorite, with Harry James a close second. Also the M&K folks made some super recordings in the late 1970's.
The ToP Sheffield disk is about as good as the 70s ethic gets, sound-quality wise. Unfortunately, the performance is pretty mediocre (for ToP - check out "Live and in Living Color" for some absolutely RIPPIN' cuts). This may be due to the fact that Rocco's missing, or simply due to the fact that they took five days to get it right and were *mighty* pissed off by the time the final cuts were done.

Still, completely different from the "classic" style of mixing/recording.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2010, 07:40 AM

Still, completely different from the "classic" style of mixing/recording.
Agreed. It's more like live sound re-enforcement than mixing. No overdubs though.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 30, 2010, 10:59 AM

Spheric:

Monkee Design - Industrial Design Blog/ Student Resource - Inception - Sound�Design

Towards the end, they're recording sounds in real rooms. Thought you might dig it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 05:17 AM

Neat!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2010, 06:45 AM

OK, I have several sets of loudspeakers, Power Amps, Preamps and such. I recently swapped out a pair of JBL 4312 Control Monitors for some 4311's which had the Alnico Magnet midrange drivers. The midrange is very good with my lowest distortion Power amp and preamp. Has anyone here been able to compare these, side-by-side? After two days of listening back and forth, I think the 4311's have a more detailed and realistic sounding mid than most everything else I've heard including my KEF 104aB's. The electronics stayed the same through the listening. DB systems preamp and poweramp (40 watts RMS/channel). Source material was records, CD's and internet radio. Phono cart was the Grace F9e and ClearAudio Maestro. Clearaudio seems to have more detail, buth the Grace seems a little smoother.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2010, 08:37 AM

That's pretty interesting - for whatever reason I always thought the 4312 were supposed to be an upgrade to the 4311, although I don't know why that's in my head come to think of it. There's a bunch of different versions of the JBL 4312 though - so I suppose it could be dependant on which model you have. I tried a 4312 when I was deciding what to spring for, but preferred the Energy 22 speaker myself. I'd like to hear a 4311 - they were like the staple rock monitor for a decade or more, weren't they?

greg

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2010, 01:08 PM

yep! From the late 1960's til the late 1970's. When the Alnico magnet material was unavailable, JBL redesigned the Mid. I still like the original version better.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 2, 2010, 07:17 PM

Boseâ„¢ Wave Radioâ„¢. It's awesome! A room filling sound from a small bed-side table deviceâ„¢.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 2, 2010, 09:47 PM

Had to happen.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 2, 2010, 11:30 PM

... it is the lounge after all.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2010, 01:33 AM

:asplode:

Renato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2010, 03:48 AM

can anyone recommend some good headphones here?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2010, 07:36 AM

Koss Pro 4 AA.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2010, 07:01 PM

Bose.â„¢

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 08:38 PM

I like Sennheiser headphones.

Oh, and didn't have to happen twice Railroader.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2010, 09:08 PM

... it is the lounge after all.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 09:22 PM

Headphones: audio technica ATH-A700

edit:
I see there’s an upgraded pair now, ath-a900. Haven’t tried them, so can’t recommend them; but if they’re anything like the A700s, then there shouldn’t be any problems.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Aug 3, 2010 at 09:29 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Bose.â„¢
After making that joke twice in a thread, you are no longer allowed to complain about the state of the lounge.

Also, you're getting cold sandwiches for dinner tonight.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 4, 2010, 12:52 PM

Boseâ„¢?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Bose.â„¢
I gather that their headphones arehe only halfways-decent line of products.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Headphones: audio technica ATH-A700

edit:
I see there’s an upgraded pair now, ath-a900. Haven’t tried them, so can’t recommend them; but if they’re anything like the A700s, then there shouldn’t be any problems.
I have their ATH-M50, which is a little cheaper, but also of good quality for closed-back headphones.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
yep! From the late 1960's til the late 1970's. When the Alnico magnet material was unavailable, JBL redesigned the Mid. I still like the original version better.
Cool.

Yeah, the 4312 wasn't much of my bag to be honest. The 22 Ref Cons sound so much better that I don't even know if you could put them in the same sentence to be honest... ha ha.

Canada had a world-class speaker industry in the 80s and through to the early 90s in particular - stemming in part from some significant public funding into audio research via the National Research Council in the late 70s and 80s. In particular brands like Energy and Paradigm got to throw hundreds of thousands of dollars into R&D - and it really paid off in terms of the quality of products they threw out.

greg

Railroader
Banned
Aug 4, 2010, 09:21 PM

I gather that their headphones arehe only halfways-decent line of products.
Yet still over-priced and lacking "soul". They just don't seem to have any depth to me. And better cans can be had for much less.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2010, 01:35 AM

Ah. I've never bothered testing them.

They fit in well with the rest of the product palette then.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2010, 06:53 AM

I've wanted to try Sennheiser's RS line of wireless headphones - I've heard good things. Anyone else had the opportunity?

My little brother has the HD555 and they are fantastic for what he paid for them. I've looked at the HD595 for years, but would love a pair of high-quality wireless headphones so I could plug in and wander around if/when need be.

greg

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2010, 11:53 AM

Cool.

Yeah, the 4312 wasn't much of my bag to be honest. The 22 Ref Cons sound so much better that I don't even know if you could put them in the same sentence to be honest... ha ha.

Canada had a world-class speaker industry in the 80s and through to the early 90s in particular - stemming in part from some significant public funding into audio research via the National Research Council in the late 70s and 80s. In particular brands like Energy and Paradigm got to throw hundreds of thousands of dollars into R&D - and it really paid off in terms of the quality of products they threw out.

greg

Agreed.. I have KEF 104aB's for the same reason. The JBL's do have amazingly detailed midrange though. The bass is typical bass reflex.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2010, 08:14 AM

I'm unable to invest in any heavy duty sound toys because I'm globe-wandering. But I wasn't able to resist buying a Cambridge Audio One+ to lug around with me. Not only is it a supremely well built and feature laden piece of tech, but I wasted much time while at my last job testing its ability to push some pretty beefy floor standers. One word - aplomb.

I've always had a crush on shelf systems but have never purchased one until now, partly because I always felt there were either too many small compromises or that the few comprises were too big. The One+ has broken that cycle.

Now to pick out some speakers at my next destination...

As for mobile audio - I've been surviving on UE SuperFi 3s and my AKG K171s.

And I encode my muzak to AAC @ q113 tVBR through XLD.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2010, 08:25 AM

M-AUDIO BX5a's in the house - suitably impressed.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I'm unable to invest in any heavy duty sound toys because I'm globe-wandering. But I wasn't able to resist buying a Cambridge Audio One+ to lug around with me. Not only is it a supremely well built and feature laden piece of tech, but I wasted much time while at my last job testing its ability to push some pretty beefy floor standers. One word - aplomb.
Haha - really?

That looks like a fine little bookshelf integrated. But it's 25wpc (30@6). Your floorstanding speakers must be incredibly efficient? My 22 Ref Cons would probably make that thing implode, but they're notoriously inefficient. I would think that amp would be the absolute bare minimum for a decent pair of floorstanding speakers, let alone enough to drive a pair "with aplomb."

greg

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2010, 09:46 AM

Bowers & Wilkins CM7s, Focal 816Vs, Krix Phoenix... to name a few.

It may not offer a lot on pure wattage, but it's @ 0.03% THD.

Admittedly, I may have thrown out 'aplomb' a bit liberally But you would be amazed at how well it competes with many dedicated stereo amps.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Aug 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2010, 10:47 AM

Heh heh yeah, you're going to have to call me amazed.

I've could see it on high-sensitivity speakers like Focals, but on the B&Ws? Yikes.

greg

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2010, 09:20 AM

So a few days ago, I picked up these puppies. For $150. I couldn't resist, at that price. Fugly, but I heard somewhere that they're a half-decent speaker....

Yamaha NS-1000 Monitor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2010, 09:35 AM

Interesting.

The NS-10 are standard ware in most any "pro" studio, but only because they're cheap and totally crap.

The reasoning is two-fold:
1. Everybody has them, so it's a standard for comparison
2. If you can make your mix sound decent on NS-10s, it'll sound okay on just about ANYTHING.

I have no idea about the NS-1000, but the NS-10 are the McDonalds of studio monitors. Just like you'd avoid a cook who eats mostly at McDonald's, I'd be wary of anybody who uses them as primary monitors.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2010, 10:59 AM

I agree - NS-10s are in almost every other studio picture you see. It's weird, because they've got a terrible reputation otherwise - I've never heard of anyone using them as home stereo speakers.

The NS-1000 Monitor is a different beast altogether. I first heard it a few years back, when I was buying my Boston Acoustics A200s off a guy; he had a pair in his living room, so we A/B'ed them and I was impressed. I did some research afterwards, and found out they have quite a reputation, really.

I've been listening to them for a few days now. The rest of my equipment is fairly shyte at the moment due to a recent move (my main system's in storage), but I went through a couple albums last night - Kind of Blue, 'Round Midnight, Mingus Ah Uhm, and Sticky Fingers - and really liked what I heard. Definitely an understated low end, but that's partially my system as well....

Initially I thought they might be a quick turnaround sale for me, but since I've moved into a condo for the near future, the idea of having an accurate high-quality speaker with a lighter low end is sort of appealing - no need to overly disturb the neighbours...!

greg

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2010, 11:47 AM

Electrostatics??

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2010, 01:37 PM

What do you mean? The NS-1000 monitors aren't.

greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules