Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Trump for President ?

Trump for President ? (Page 2)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Give credit where it is due. He has amassed several billion dollars (Forbes put it at a bit over $2bn). How does a stupid person do that?
Being born a millionaire really helps.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 07:22 PM

The funny thing is that he's probably only doing this to plug The Apprentice.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 09:52 PM

Probably?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
He makes excellent points and has a wealth of policy ideas as put forth in numerous sources of media outside the Daily Show, but some of them are too drastic for the masses and his "no bs" style will quickly come off as merely gaffe-prone.
All of the things I've heard lately are of the "no substance" variety.

I'm also not seeing the type of contrition you see from someone who has genuinely changed their position on abortion. For me, it calls his other policy statements into question.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
All of the things I've heard lately are of the "no substance" variety.
Most are holding close to the vest right now and his lack of substance IMO does not stand out against any other candidates nor the current President himself at this stage during the last election. At this point however, the complaint itself with the exception of the below, lacks substance. What have you heard? On what issues? Where are you looking? You claimed he hasn't presented any policy. This is incorrect.

I'm also not seeing the type of contrition you see from someone who has genuinely changed their position on abortion. For me, it calls his other policy statements into question.
As I understand it Trump was pro-choice, but didn't like the procedures and supported a ban on partial-birth abortion. He's since ("a number of years ago") changed his view to Pro-Life citing personal experiences including a couple he refers to as friends who were ready to have an abortion and decided against it. According to the father who was in tears, he didn't want the child at the time, but the child is very much loved, "the apple of his [friend's] eye" and the child who was once destined to die is now thriving and happy.

I remember when I had changed my view on the death penalty. There was no profound act or statement of contrition, I simply examined my views more deeply and came to a different conclusion. Who in your mind has given the sufficient type of contrition for a change of views?
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 08:00 AM

Most are holding close to the vest right now and his lack of substance IMO does not stand out against any other candidates nor the current President himself at this stage during the last election.
Exactly. I'm not saying the lack of substance is notable, just that it's a lack of substance.

At this point however, the complaint itself with the exception of the below, lacks substance. What have you heard? On what issues? Where are you looking? You claimed he hasn't presented any policy. This is incorrect.
It's very possible there is much I have missed. He's done some big interviews (The View, Today, Stephanopoulos), What I recall the most is that his doctrine is "build, build, build". Umm... Okay...

As I understand it Trump was pro-choice, but didn't like the procedures and supported a ban on partial-birth abortion. He's since ("a number of years ago") changed his view to Pro-Life citing personal experiences including a couple he refers to as friends who were ready to have an abortion and decided against it. According to the father who was in tears, he didn't want the child at the time, but the child is very much loved, "the apple of his [friend's] eye" and the child who was once destined to die is now thriving and happy.
Well, that's a better story than the "I have a position, I'm just not going to tell you" crap he pulled with Stephanopoulos.

I remember when I had changed my view on the death penalty. There was no profound act or statement of contrition, I simply examined my views more deeply and came to a different conclusion. Who in your mind has given the sufficient type of contrition for a change of views?
No one you'd know personally. It's an exceedingly rare occurrence in my experience. This isn't the case with the death penalty. I've changed my own position on that twice in my lifetime.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 11:26 AM

I suppose Trump play-acting at being President couldn't be too much worse than some of the other tools we've had play-acting at being President.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 11:54 AM

Imagine when the GOP fields a real candidate...
I'm trying...

2012... 2016... 2020...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 12:44 PM

I doubt very much that Trump will run for president.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2011, 12:49 PM

Maybe Hulk Hogan will come out as his vice president.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011, 12:58 PM

I love how everyone in here goes by the premise that in Nov 2012 we will still be a "Union Undivided".
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Maybe Hulk Hogan will come out as his vice president.
I'd like to see a Hulk Hogan ticket with the Iron Sheik, but you know that the wingnut crowd would demand to see the Sheik's birth certificate*.

* Sadly, the Iron Sheik would not actually qualify as a natural born citizen.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
I love how everyone in here goes by the premise that in Nov 2012 we will still be a "Union Undivided".
That's a valid point. Chances are the stirrings of the cataclysm that will rend this planet asunder will have already literally split this nation by then.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's a valid point. Chances are the stirrings of the cataclysm that will rend this planet asunder will have already literally split this nation by then.
Well, Bill Gross (Largest Bond Fund in the World) just cut his US T-Bill holding from 12% to 0% this morning.
Time to get nervous people. This man just shorted the US Treasury. Think about it long and hard.
Sun Tzu

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Well, Bill Gross (Largest Bond Fund in the World) just cut his US T-Bill holding from 12% to 0% this morning.
Time to get nervous people. This man just shorted the US Treasury. Think about it long and hard.
(Not actually the definition of short selling.)

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
(Not actually the definition of short selling.)
I don't think glideslope wanted to define "short selling".

Gross *is* net short: Exclusive: Bill Gross Is Now Short US Debt, Hikes Cash To $73 Billion, An All Time Record | zero hedge

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't think glideslope wanted to define "short selling".

Gross *is* net short: Exclusive: Bill Gross Is Now Short US Debt, Hikes Cash To $73 Billion, An All Time Record | zero hedge

-t
If he's net short he is short selling, if his aim is to make money (I assume it is).

I was making the point that merely going from 12% to 0% in your holdings of an asset class is not going short, or short selling.

From that article, though, it appears he is going even further than that, and you are right. He is short selling.

Definitions are important.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 02:22 PM

Yes. The PIMCO reduction of Treasures to 0% actually happened a few weeks back.
Now Gross put on a short position, taking this "reduction" further than before.

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 05:19 PM

Lady Gaga is the only man/woman I would elect as president.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 05:48 PM

We need more Satanists as presidents.

-t

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
If he's net short he is short selling, if his aim is to make money (I assume it is).

I was making the point that merely going from 12% to 0% in your holdings of an asset class is not going short, or short selling.

From that article, though, it appears he is going even further than that, and you are right. He is short selling.

Definitions are important.
Sun Tzu

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2011, 08:11 PM

Lady Gaga is the only man/woman I would elect as president.
Ru Paul is the only man-woman I would elect as President.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 07:07 AM

I don't think Trump will make it on the ballot. He will however have a great time pointing out Obama's sheer political stupidity while letting some of the other candidates take the "high ground" and go on to be President.

It's still a long way until 2012 and even Bill Clinton didn't really look to have a chance before the primaries had even started and he had a real chance to market himself to the people (being on MTV, playing the sax on Arsenio, etc.). We don't really know what the Republican field has to offer. However, we do know what the Democrat field has and it's not looking very re-electable at this point. Clinton had to do an "about face" to get re-elected. Obama doesn't seem inclined to do that. He made an interesting, failed one termer.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2011, 02:58 PM

Trump for President? It's a PR Stunt. Trump attacks Obama admin for a few days and goes away.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Trump for President? It's a PR Stunt. Trump attacks Obama admin for a few days and goes away.
It's been more than a few days, and he doesn't appear to be going away.

I think that maybe he's a Carville-style attack plant put into place by the party to give the real candidates "higher ground" while still having Obama pummeled regularly on his inexperience, failures and lack of transparency and honesty. Trump does the dirty work while the candidates talk about the issues. That's how Clinton rolled when he was in office and it worked great.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules