Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fidel es muerto.

Fidel es muerto. (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Ok. I still think it's a bit of rationalization seeing as the two are linked, but I'll resist the urge to create a tortured metaphor.
Let me expand on that. In Bin Laden's case, I don't think it's necessarily cut and dried.

My assumption has always been it took so long to get Bin Laden because he was useful to us. The most obvious vector would be we had moles very close to him.

I don't think we lost the moles, I assume that's how we found him, so the reason we assassinated him was because he really had lost all effectiveness. It's a sad end to a sad situation.

Admittedly, Castro isn't really in this category.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2016, 11:23 AM

I can only image what the tweets would have been like had Twitter been running when President Reagan died.
Within 30 minutes: Look what liberals were posting about Nancy Reagan's death - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2016, 05:21 AM

Anyone: Trump did a bad thing.
Chongo: Hillary did a somewhat related bad thing at some point in the past!

Anyone: Chongo, that post doesn't seem to be inline you the faith you claim to hold
Chongo: Some random liberal said something kind of like what I did at some point in the past!

Anyone: *sigh*
Chongo: MEME!!!

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Anyone: Trump did a bad thing.
Chongo: Hillary did a somewhat related bad thing at some point in the past!

Anyone: Chongo, that post doesn't seem to be inline you the faith you claim to hold
Chongo: Some random liberal said something kind of like what I did at some point in the past!

Anyone: *sigh*
Chongo: MEME!!!
No, it's showing how short a memory you have.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 7, 2016, 12:27 PM

You forgot to include a meme.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2016, 04:12 PM

Snow-i: Please cite your source
Paco: *Let me Google that for you*: BUZZFEED!

I will also point out that your understanding of the Christian faith is so cynical and so disconnected from the reality of it's practitioners that you simply don't have the capacity to measure one's adherence to it. That would require tolerance and understanding of views other than your own (or whatever your media matters/buzzfeed "articles" tell you to think); a capability which you do not possess.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 8, 2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
That would require tolerance and understanding of views other than your own
I think his main complaint is that religious people don't express this.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2016, 08:51 PM

Snow-i: Please cite your source
Paco: *Let me Google that for you*: BUZZFEED!

I will also point out that your understanding of the Christian faith is so cynical and so disconnected from the reality of it's practitioners that you simply don't have the capacity to measure one's adherence to it. That would require tolerance and understanding of views other than your own (or whatever your media matters/buzzfeed "articles" tell you to think); a capability which you do not possess.
You seem to have a lot of anger. What's up with that?

1. I did not cite buzzfeed. I cited six articles, including one that referenced, among many other sources, buzzfeed. Well, actually two of the six did- the New Yorker article referenced them as well. Had you bothered to read them, you could have called me out twice.

2. You are making some pretty big assumptions about what I understand. You know virtually nothing about me, my religious or my educational history. All you know is that I hold some views other than your own, so you blindly attack me. Interesting.

3. Chongo doesn't need you to fight his battles for him. He has plenty of memes and videos of sermons to lean on.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2016, 01:46 PM

When people on the Right raise their voice its "anger", but when the Left does it it's "passion".
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2016, 03:42 PM

You seem to have a lot of anger. What's up with that?
Call it anti-smug-assholeness. You opened the door when you tried to use LMGFTY instead of providing real support for your argument when asked. You get what you give.

1. I did not cite buzzfeed. I cited six articles, including one that referenced, among many other sources, buzzfeed. Well, actually two of the six did- the New Yorker article referenced them as well. Had you bothered to read them, you could have called me out twice.
No, you cited an "article" that cited Buzzfeed as it's primary source, even worse. I'm not going to browse your media matters, salon, and buzzfeed articles looking for the things you claim support your argument. It's up to you to provide them. The first link didn't have anything credible or relevant, why would I waste my time with the other 5? If you're going to try to be a smug asshole with LMGTFY, make sure you don't end up looking like a stupid asshole instead.
2. You are making some pretty big assumptions about what I understand. You know virtually nothing about me, my religious or my educational history. All you know is that I hold some views other than your own, so you blindly attack me. Interesting.
Attack you? I've not attacked you. I've attacked what you've said and how you've said it, as well as the support you've used to back it up. I don't need to understand anything about you personally to do this - everything I need is right here in these pages. If you have some insight or personal experience you think might be relevant to the assertions you've made, by all means please offer it up (you should have done so the first time around). If you are interested in honest and respectful discussion, you would be surprised how willing I am to engage in that with you. That's what I mean by you get what you give. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
3. Chongo doesn't need you to fight his battles for him. He has plenty of memes and videos of sermons to lean on.
Simply expressing my view that your attack on him lacks perspective. You attack Chongo for not living up to the standards of the Christian faith in his views, when it's apparent through your attack you know nothing about those standards beyond what your copy/paste function allows you to. I am simply attacking an ignorant, intolerant, and bigoted argument.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2016, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I think his main complaint is that religious people don't express this.
Some don't, true of any group of people. Is it fair to extend that complaint to the entirety of a demographic based on bottom of the barrel? Isn't that bigotry? Stereotyping? By the definitions - it is.

The vast majority of religious people are not represented by the few assholes that exhibit the worst parts of the human condition - that condition extends to all humans, regardless of faith, color, sexual preference, etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2016, 04:06 PM

make sure you don't end up looking like a stupid asshole instead.
Attack you? I've not attacked you.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I attacked his use of LMGTFY when I asked him to provide support, what's wrong with that?

Attacking him would be "Paco is a stupid asshole" (I'm not saying this)

What I did: "When you use LMGTFY to provide your support, instead of the smug asshole you are trying to be, you look like a stupid asshole instead". I attacked what he said, how he said it, and the support he used to say it. My very next sentence says as much.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2016, 07:19 PM

Part of me feels like I should just let this go as you are getting very worked up, and that's no good for anybody. But you've launched a pretty vicious attack with a few assertions that are just not true, so I'm going to defend myself and correct the record.
Call it anti-smug-assholeness. You opened the door when you tried to use LMGFTY instead of providing real support for your argument when asked. You get what you give.
Yes, it was smug, but in my mind, an entirely appropriate response. I remain baffled that you felt that one could only speculate about the origin of the label 'alt-right.' It's exceedingly well documented, and if one had missed it in the myriad of reports and news stories on it, all it would take is a quick Google search to find the answer.

My decision to go smug was enhanced by the bizarre supposition that it was the nasty liberals who coined the term and were using to oppress right-thinking conservatives. Which is just a silly notion.
No, you cited an "article" that cited Buzzfeed as it's primary source, even worse.
This is simply not true. I cited six articles, and two of them included quotes from Buzzfeed. The article you quoted in no way relied on Buzzfeed as it's 'primary source' and to claim it does it quite simply a lie. I'm sorry if you don't like the publications I cited, but they were the first six unique results from Google- I could have gone on to provide many, many more that all contained the same well-documented facts.
I'm not going to browse your media matters, salon, and buzzfeed articles looking for the things you claim support your argument.
It is clearly your right to continue to attack me from a position of ignorance rather than taking a few minutes to educate yourself.
It's up to you to provide them.
Sorry, but I'm under no obligation to provide anything to you.
The first link didn't have anything credible or relevant, why would I waste my time with the other 5?
Interesting, the first link was actually a wikipedia article that was completely relevant. I believe it was the fifth link that cited Buzzfeed, which also contained relevant information. You may not respect the source, but it was relevant.
If you're going to try to be a smug asshole with LMGTFY, make sure you don't end up looking like a stupid asshole instead.
You posted:
Are you just making an assumption? Maybe the Tea party (taxed enough already). But alt right? Please provide some support for your assertion.
I provided six articles supporting the assertion. I did it a smug way, some may even call it assholish, but it wasn't stupid- it was a direct, relevant, and well documented response to your challenge.

Attack you? I've not attacked you. I've attacked what you've said and how you've said it, as well as the support you've used to back it up. I don't need to understand anything about you personally to do this - everything I need is right here in these pages. If you have some insight or personal experience you think might be relevant to the assertions you've made, by all means please offer it up (you should have done so the first time around). If you are interested in honest and respectful discussion, you would be surprised how willing I am to engage in that with you. That's what I mean by you get what you give. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Have a bit of integrity. You launched a heated attack against me and my character as well as what I said. Don't hide behind semantics.

Simply expressing my view that your attack on him lacks perspective. You attack Chongo for not living up to the standards of the Christian faith in his views, when it's apparent through your attack you know nothing about those standards beyond what your copy/paste function allows you to. I am simply attacking an ignorant, intolerant, and bigoted argument.
Again, you don't know anything about me so you have no basis to claim I lack perspective. All you know it I feel differently about some things than you do, and you don't like that and it makes you behave angrily. I would assert I am not ignorant in these matters, but I'm not going to discuss my history with faith or education, so we'll have to leave it there. But I would ask you to point out how I have demonstrated bigotry or intolerance to anything but hypocrisy. Or when I have used cut and paste arguments for that matter.

I bet you can't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules