Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > No more brushed metal in Panther

No more brushed metal in Panther (Page 2)
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Boy you are WAY off. I'm using metafilizer on Panther right now and it looks great.

The question is..... why the bloody f*ck couldn't Apple just make it look good like that in the first place?!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
The question is..... why the bloody f*ck couldn't Apple just make it look good like that in the first place?!
We all are wondering that, except the people who like brushed finder and would be fine with OS X looking like Windows or anything else stupid that Apple mught do to the interface...

As far as I'm concerned the problem is fixed thanks to unsanity and I see no reason not to use unsanity's haxies.
click one

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
We all are wondering that, except the people who like brushed finder and would be fine with OS X looking like Windows or anything else stupid that Apple mught do to the interface...

As far as I'm concerned the problem is fixed thanks to unsanity and I see no reason not to use unsanity's haxies.
I completely agree.

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 01:18 PM

I'm trying Metalifizer. I like it because of the nice title bar at the top of windows, and I love being able to get back the clean look of Jaguar with the features of Panther, but... the verticle separator between the main part of my finder windows and the icon bar on the left becomes glitchy. It looks right when the window is first created, but after the bar is adjusted it becomes transparent and shows text underneath. If the window is sized vertically the dot in the center clones itself a dozen times or so.

I didn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread�is anyone experiencing the same thing or does it work exactly right?

Thanks,
JT
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by jtice:
I'm trying Metalifizer. I like it because of the nice title bar at the top of windows, and I love being able to get back the clean look of Jaguar with the features of Panther, but... the verticle separator between the main part of my finder windows and the icon bar on the left becomes glitchy. It looks right when the window is first created, but after the bar is adjusted it becomes transparent and shows text underneath. If the window is sized vertically the dot in the center clones itself a dozen times or so.

I didn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread�is anyone experiencing the same thing or does it work exactly right?

Thanks,
JT
Don't worry about that. Yes, it is a glitch that every is having because this is a alpha version of Panther Metafilizer. I'm sure that will be fixed when the final version is released.

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Don't worry about that. Yes, it is a glitch that every is having because this is a alpha version of Panther Metafilizer. I'm sure that will be fixed when the final version is released.
Thanks. It's easier to tolerate knowing it's not unique to my system.

The clean look of the Jaguar windows is something I felt they got exactly right in 10.2. I think Apple needs to be more settled and confident in what they have created here. It's like they found one of those Photoshop decorative border packages and decided to apply the most dramatic option to the Mac OS. When my daughter drops a quarter in a gumball machine she's always excited to see what flavour rolls out. I'm not the same way about my computer.

JT
( Last edited by jtice; Nov 7, 2003 at 07:01 PM. )
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

wreks
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by 00101001:
I don't mid the brushed metal "idea" per, it's more the texture... it's too *strong*. Just like the stripes were too strong on prev builds. I like my solution:

I like that... how to?

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 07:34 PM

i'd like a copy of that too.

if neccesary i can host the file for a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules