Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Thumbdrives

USB Thumbdrives
kupan787
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 07:34 PM

Hey, I have a few questions regarding thumb drives.

1) Do they all rely on flash, or are there any based around the 0.85" microdrives? I through I found one company claiming to make them (http://www.trek2000.com.sg/press17.htm), but it is just a press release from back in March. Do these exist anywhere yet (I couldn't find, and I looked for awhile).

2) Is speed an issue? I found one claiming to be 17MB/s read and 14MB/s write. I know that isn't as fast as a hard drive, but that sounds like pretty good speeds. Is that about what most thumbdrives are, or is this one special (http://www.trekstorusa.com/thumbdrive_2smart.htm)?

3) Also, does anyone have any recommendations on drives? I need one in the 512 - 2GB range.

Thanks for any help guys.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2005, 12:12 PM

Anything below about 2GB is going to be flash-based, while some 2-4GB drives will be flash as well. The larger drives are going to be hard-drive based because of the cost issue-it's less expensive at about the 4GB point to use a tiny hard drive than all that flash memory, but they'll still be AWFULLY expensive.

Speed is slower than a hard drive but faster than many optical drives, and WAY faster than the floppies we all grew to hate. It's a good compromise.

I've used PNY's USB flash drives for some time and they're rugged and reliable. I recently got a 1GB device and it's been wonderful. I don't know if PNY markets anything larger than 1GB yet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Sep 8, 2005, 09:26 PM

I have a 2GB flash-based drive and love it.
Before that had a 1GB sandisk flash drive. Loved it. Still use it.
Before that had a 512MB sandisk and also a good workhorse.
They are excellent purchases.

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 08:51 PM

I'm now in the market for a new flash drive. I have a 128 MB Crucial Gizmo! drive which has worked well.

What is the smallest drive out there today?

How about one that has the "Apple" quality, look, and feel?

I need one now that is at least 1 GB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2006, 09:35 PM

Sandisk and pqi both have some small 1GB models.

applesnapple
Mar 31, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
I'm now in the market for a new flash drive. I have a 128 MB Crucial Gizmo! drive which has worked well.

What is the smallest drive out there today?

How about one that has the "Apple" quality, look, and feel?

I need one now that is at least 1 GB.
I'd go for this 64gb model, yes I said 64 gigabytes.

Ok, now in the sub $5000 range, lol, I really like the sandisk cruzer titanium 1gb. Its got fast read/write speeds and it looks pretty cool, and according to cnet you can run over it with a car, and that was the deal breaker for me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules