Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > pro mouse has become too painful to use - alternatives?

pro mouse has become too painful to use - alternatives?
dsquared
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2006, 03:51 AM

i've been using the original apple pro mouse for a few years now. but lately its been giving me very bad aches all over my wrist. i just need 15 minutes on them, and the pain becomes too much to bear (granted my threshold for pain is really low). i reckon the extremely large size and the general 'fatness' of my hand might be an issue (from wrist to middle finger about 8.5 inches long and 4.5 inches at the widest). any alternatives? preferably with a scroll wheel and two buttons at least, and big enough for my hands.

initally i was checking out the mx1000, cuz they fit pretty nice, but the price is just too much for a mouse. trackballs are being considered, but i'm worried that i might not get used to their feel. any advice?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 04:52 AM

mx1000....mx500 if you want a cheaper wired version.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

dsquared  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2006, 05:26 AM

can't seem to find the mx500 in brick and mortar stores here in singapore. they only carry the mx518 which is a little steep and dareisay a little ugly and pc-looking. well if i can't find any other alternatives might have to settle for these. what about trackballs?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 11:47 AM

i gave up my mouse, for similar reasons (and i miss it!).

i'm using a kensington orbit optical trackball.
took some time to get used to it (especially for nuanced moves), but now i like it.

i explored options; there are some pretty interesting ones out there, mice at a right-angle things, etc.

but some of those require a whole new approach; the trackball (for me, anyway) has proved to be a relatively easy transition.

try one out...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 12:52 PM

How about the RazerPro

I have a Mighty Mouse at work and a RazerPRO at home. It is much much more comfortable on the hands.

dsquared  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2006, 11:31 AM

hmm interesting advice on the razer. i always thought that they were a little too low in profile for my hands. but this new one seems a tad larger.

with regards to trackballs i'm pretty keen on them actually, but the lack of a scroll wheel is kinda stopping me. how do u scroll with these guys [and gals]?

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 11:54 AM

Definitely try a trackball. I had similar RSI problems many years ago due to using a mouse. I switched to a trackball and things improved a lot. There are many trackballs with scroll wheels (or rings). Personally, I like the Microsoft Trackball Explorer that I've been using for the last 4 years or so. I used Kensington models before that and liked them, but at the time, they didn't have an optical trackball so I went with the MS model.

Go to a store, try out several models, and see which one feels most comfortable for you.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 12:49 PM

You might consider getting a touchpad. I had a teacher with full-blown carpal tunnel, and she said that that helped her alot.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 10:20 PM

I have had a Logitech Trackman wheel for years. It is a great mouse. I can't wait until the universal version of the control centre, as you can program the middle button as a internet back command. Makes surfing the net a breeze. I can't stand "mice that move". I adjusted to the trackman in a day or so. I have had the same mouse for 6 years...and it is thumb activated...
My Blog-pakos.me

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2006, 11:38 PM

I use a Logitech MX-610 and a gel wrist pad...no more aches!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10917
I gotta have more cowbell.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 12:43 PM

Ergonomic mice are very important, but since everybody's hands are different, finding the right one is a very individual choice. I use a Macally Q-ball (sadly, now discontinued: optical trackball, wheel, 5-button) so I'd recommend a trackball. I put up with the USB cord because of how comfortable it is.

No price is too high to be pain-free and avoid health complications down the road.

In addition, get a pair of the Chinese steel balls that you rotate in your hand(s) so as to strengthen the forearm muscles. You can use them when you're driving or commuting or taking a break. This is a long-term strategy for strenthening those muscles, won't help in the short run. There's a scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon where the swordmaster is using them for meditation and strengthening purposes.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 02:02 AM

You mention you have big hands and enjoyed the mx1000. I'm going to second the suggestion for the mx500 as I really enjoy mine. The mx518 is the same thing with a different material used giving it a different (and I agree, rather silly "PC gamer") look and a smoother texture. Do you have to buy brick-and-mortar or can you order online?

Have you considered a tablet like the Wacom Graphire?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

dsquared  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2006, 11:38 PM

i've yet to be able to try a trackball. but they seem worth a shot, esp given the fervent following. the mx500 seems like an excellent choice as well. as for buying them online, i'd prefer to buy them at a brick and mortar store [easier returns etc.] but if i can get them for cheaper online, then i might just for it.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 09:08 AM

I just picked up a Logitech G7 it gets 2 thumbs up from me great mouse.

doctorb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2006, 12:30 PM

I tried the G7 earlier this year but I was getting huge feedback issues. It going really erratic on me, jumping around every once in a while. I figured it was because of the 2.4ghz receiver. I tried my dad's Logitech v400, which also uses 2.4ghz receiver, and once in a while, I noticed my internet dropping... Maybe I am just paranoid.

Anyway, I picked up the Microsoft Laser Notebook 6000 mouse and it is superb. It fits my hand really well and was easy to set up with USB overdrive. My only complaint is the receiver doesn't fit against the bottom of the mouse in a flush way, so it kind of sticks out. Stupid design if you ask me. Otherwise, this mouse is sweet and its appearance goes really will with the PB!

applesnapple
Mar 31, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
No price is too high to be pain-free and avoid health complications down the road.
I agree. You will be able to justify the relatively high price of the logitech mx-1000 after using it for some time. It is not only very comfortable, but it has browser back and forward buttons, that I cannot imagine browsing without.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2006, 06:11 AM

If you're a gamer, don't get a cordless/wireless mouse... at least... not unless you like the hassle of waiting for the thing to charge at it's base station or changing it's batteries from time to time.

Otherwise, if you don't use your Mac as much, then a wireless one would be fairly reasonable.

If you're a graphic artist, get a mouse with insanely high resolution.... like one of the laser-mice.

If on the other hand, you just use it for basic web-browsing or working with multiple files on the OS-level, get a mouse with as many programable buttons as you desire.

But most important is that the mouse feels the way you want it to feel.... how easy it is to get it moving on a surface, how heavy it is to lift it off the surface, how it conforms to the shape of your hand, and of course if the placement of the buttons agrees with ALL of your fingers.

But if you're a L337 hardware hacker, and a show-off, like some of my friends at school, you could just go to a local RadioShack and pimp-up a cheap $20 optical-mouse with a blue LED and say, "sure it's a pain, but at least it looks good. "

zen
Apr 2, 2006, 04:47 PM

I switched from a Mighty Mouse (the worst mouse ever - worse than the hockey puck) to a Logitech mx518. The 518 is just amazing! Just the right weight (Apple's mice are too light), adjustable scanning res on the fly (just nudge a couple of buttons on the top), smooth as silk tracking surface, and wonderfully positioned and nice to click buttons. Highly recommended!

Forum Links
Forum Rules