Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook, MacBook, or wait?

iBook, MacBook, or wait?
artgraph
May 29, 2006, 05:01 PM

I've spent the past four months debating getting a Mac notebook - my main reasons for debate were not having used a Mac in about 8 years (I've been strictly a "Windows" guy - though the idea of getting a Mac to play with is exciting), and knowing that the MacBooks were coming.

Now, I'm at the point where I'd like to buy (though I could allow myself to wait another few months, if it would be worthwhile)!

I'm posting here because, as suggested by the title, I'm not exactly certain which system best fits my needs - the 12in iBook or the new 13.3 in MacBook. And then there's the rumored, upcoming MacBook that is supposed to be thinner and/or lighter (?).

So what are my needs? Pretty simple:

>>> Word processing, e-mail, internet surfing, and grabbing pictures off my digital camera. Also, lightweight, small, and wireless. I may watch the occasional DVD or play an older, 2D game - but those are secondary needs. I have a pretty powerful desktop and big, widescreen monitor for games. I'm more interested in mobility and battery life.

* Reasons I think I'd prefer the MacBook: almost as light as the iBook, higher-res screen, still smaller than most of what else is out there, 6 hours reported battery life, better wireless capabilities, pretty powerful/pretty cheap.

* Reasons I think I'd prefer the iBook: at my ideal 12in zone, marginally lighter than the MacBook, still does everything I want, albeit a little more slowly I'd guess, still has 6 hours of reported battery life. - This list of plusses is smaller, but mobility is a category that means a lot to me for this purchase.

* Reasons I think I'd prefer to wait: because the dream of something smaller and lighter from Mac never dies, especially with rumors that a thinner and/or lighter version of the MacBook is coming. Plus, getting OS Leopard without having to purchase the upgrade.

>>> Final argument, cost: the quotes I am getting (in Canadian dollars) are nearly identical: $1287 for the MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White (with 1 gig of RAM) versus $1295 for the iBook 12" 1.33GHz Combo (also with 1 gig of RAM). I bet I could score a cheaper iBook if I didn't buy through the Apple store, though - maybe grab something used.

I've read through a lot of articles and posts in trying to figure this out, but I'm still torn. Can anyone help sway me? I promise to appreciate every response!

pat++
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 05:14 PM

Yes, for the same amount of money, get a MacBook for sure. You get a lot more, nice screen, built-in iSight, very fast machine which you'll be able to keep for years. The iBook is a very nice machine too (I have a 1.2ghz iBook), but the MacBook is way ahead of it. I saw them at the Apple store, and I can tell you I would trade one instantly with my iBook (even if as you, I do love the 12" size). As for waiting, you can wait for ever... I would get a MacBook now!
( Last edited by pat++; May 29, 2006 at 05:30 PM. )

mrufrufin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 05:22 PM

as far as i know, ibook weighs 4.9 lbs. and macbook is around 5.2. This isn't much a difference at all in terms of the mobility that ur concerned. I owned an ibook be4 and also played the macbook at my hands when i was in the apple store. The weigths just felt about the same. Honestly, I don't see any point still going for an ibook as of now.

applesnapple
May 29, 2006, 05:25 PM

You said that you arent really familiar with macs-- thats fine because now that the macbook uses intel processors, you can boot windows xp when you need to. If I were you, I would go for the macbook sooner rather than later. You were saying that you could wait, but the reality is that the moment you buy any computer, it is pretty much outdated, because the technology world is advancing so rapidly. So, in my opinion go for the macbook, you won't be disappointed.

artgraph  (op)
May 29, 2006, 05:41 PM

Great responses, thank you!

applesnapple, that's a nice sentiment, but I'm really excited to get very familiar with the Mac OS. I won't be dual-booting with Windows (though I may use some cross-platform programs like OpenOffice and Firefox/Thunderbird). I don't see the point in doing it, even if I can do it. I'm a power user with Windows; it's time to learn how the other half live.

doniel, the discrepancy in weight is definitely minor, but the posts I have seen here seem to suggest that people can still feel the difference (?). I felt like there were enough people saying it that it was worth throwing out there as a reason to buy one over the other - as silly as it seems. My current laptop is about 8lbs, a weight I would scoff at in a gym, but somehow it's significant when you carry it around a lot on trips. Regardless, shedding 3 pounds sounds wonderful.

pat++, if you love the 12in size, but are also happy with the new 13.3in sizing, then that does make me feel a little better. Thanks.

Final comment, I wasn't sure how Apple was with supporting its legacy products, but I've heard they're pretty strong; if that's not as much the case, then that definitely shifts me greatly toward the MacBook. I don't want to buy an iBook and feel like I jumped on a horse that ain't going nowhere.

Thanks again for the responses, this is helping me for sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules